Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2020, 06:42 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,877,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Reopening is definitely going to be tricky no matter what, but it's important to keep in mind that the numbers being reported are somewhat misleading as to whether the situation has gotten "more severe."

The reality is that both cases and deaths have been underreported around the world for months due to inadequate testing capabilities or capacity. At least newly confirmed cases have been trending consistently downward for a while, so that bodes well for future declines in deaths. But until we have a mass produced vaccine, we're going to have fits and starts on a longer journey to normalcy.
True, but politics will guide the decision and elected officials will be hesitant to reopen if the numbers look worse, regardless of whether it is true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2020, 10:48 AM

3,146 posts, read 1,603,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
True, but politics will guide the decision and elected officials will be hesitant to reopen if the numbers look worse, regardless of whether it is true.
Worth a read:

https://inside.upmc.com/yealy-shapir...gLueqwEAbyvoKE

Old 05-14-2020, 01:24 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,263,903 times
Just returned from a nice walk for an hour or so on this beautiful afternoon. I'm happy to report a noticeable uptick in the number of people wearing masks. Of course, I was puzzled by those who wear them under their chins. It's kind of like they're going for partial credit.

Anyhow, it's good to note something positive.

Old 05-14-2020, 01:48 PM

1,525 posts, read 1,184,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
Great read, thanks for sharing. Good to know that our state leaders are listening to the doctors; hopefully they will use this information to make policy changes.

Old 05-14-2020, 03:36 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,752,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Just returned from a nice walk for an hour or so on this beautiful afternoon. I'm happy to report a noticeable uptick in the number of people wearing masks. Of course, I was puzzled by those who wear them under their chins. It's kind of like they're going for partial credit.

Anyhow, it's good to note something positive.
Probably plan to go to the store on the way home

Old 05-15-2020, 06:17 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,877,327 times
Quote:
It's a good read, thanks. I agree with what they are both saying. Hopefully our state officials follow the recommendations of our doctors and scientists.

Old 05-15-2020, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
It's a good read, thanks. I agree with what they are both saying. Hopefully our state officials follow the recommendations of our doctors and scientists.
Exactly. Opening up and managing infections by shielding those most vulnerable.

To date, there have been no COVID-19 positive cases at the UPMC Senior Community facilities. Tragically, other long-term care facilities have not had the same success that we’ve experienced. These residents often are sent to UPMC for care, and I’ve personally seen first hand, as well as my partners in the hospitals, how devastating this illness is to that population. The precautions we put in place early on are working. Opportunity still exists across all the areas we serve and across the Commonwealth, and we want to help.

This will help inform how we grapple with opening society. Philadelphia, not too dissimilar to New York, with high case rates as a result of density, travel and socioeconomic diversity, must open up in a measured, stepwise manner with extensive testing, contact tracing and treatment. But, for the rest of the state, as people come out of their homes cautiously and safely, if we protect our vulnerable seniors, particularly those in nursing homes, we should be able to keep case rates manageable, buying time to prepare for a potential resurgence as we bolster our supply chain and discover effective interventions.

Last edited by Maddie104; 05-15-2020 at 07:22 AM..

Old 05-15-2020, 07:28 AM

14,183 posts, read 9,080,000 times
Quote:
Exactly. Opening up and managing infections by shielding those most vulnerable.

To date, there have been no COVID-19 positive cases at the UPMC Senior Community facilities. Tragically, other long-term care facilities have not had the same success that we’ve experienced. These residents often are sent to UPMC for care, and I’ve personally seen first hand, as well as my partners in the hospitals, how devastating this illness is to that population. The precautions we put in place early on are working. Opportunity still exists across all the areas we serve and across the Commonwealth, and we want to help.

This will help inform how we grapple with opening society. Philadelphia, not too dissimilar to New York, with high case rates as a result of density, travel and socioeconomic diversity, must open up in a measured, stepwise manner with extensive testing, contact tracing and treatment. But, for the rest of the state, as people come out of their homes cautiously and safely, if we protect our vulnerable seniors, particularly those in nursing homes, we should be able to keep case rates manageable, buying time to prepare for a potential resurgence as we bolster our supply chain and discover effective interventions.
The more rural parts of Pennsylvania probably can open up now — and they are, according to the system Gov. Wolf set up.

But even though most of the COVID-19 deaths have occurred among the elderly, the virus is just unpredictable and serious enough that just getting us geezers out of the rest of you's hair isn't gonna cut it. Surely you've read the reports about some rare respiratory ailment now showing up in children; seems that's SARS-CoV-2 (the name given to the virus itself)-related.

Then there's this:

'I Wish I Could Do Something For You,' My Doctor Said | The New York Times

No co-morbidities. Early 30s. Healthy as a horse. Can't even walk a few blocks now without shortness of breath.

And I'm sure a story about a non-elderly person who came down with COVID-19, recovered, then suddenly took a serious turn for the worse, and even died, must have crossed your path; such stories have crossed mine.

Just reopening the country will produce more cases like these, trust me.

Old 05-15-2020, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
The more rural parts of Pennsylvania probably can open up now — and they are, according to the system Gov. Wolf set up.

But even though most of the COVID-19 deaths have occurred among the elderly, the virus is just unpredictable and serious enough that just getting us geezers out of the rest of you's hair isn't gonna cut it. Surely you've read the reports about some rare respiratory ailment now showing up in children; seems that's SARS-CoV-2 (the name given to the virus itself)-related.

Then there's this:

'I Wish I Could Do Something For You,' My Doctor Said | The New York Times

No co-morbidities. Early 30s. Healthy as a horse. Can't even walk a few blocks now without shortness of breath.

And I'm sure a story about a non-elderly person who came down with COVID-19, recovered, then suddenly took a serious turn for the worse, and even died, must have crossed your path; such stories have crossed mine.

Just reopening the country will produce more cases like these, trust me.
But the heart of the argument is, what is the goal? To prevent all deaths? Sadly, we can't keep everyone on lock-down forever. As the article points out, people have mental health issues and suicides are increasing. Yes, there is a reopening according to Wolf but how is it justified based on what these physicians, clinicials in the Covid-19 infections battlefield, are stating? The goal has been to keep infections manageable.

"This will help inform how we grapple with opening society. Philadelphia, not too dissimilar to New York, with high case rates as a result of density, travel and socioeconomic diversity, must open up in a measured, stepwise manner with extensive testing, contact tracing and treatment. But, for the rest of the state, as people come out of their homes cautiously and safely, if we protect our vulnerable seniors, particularly those in nursing homes, we should be able to keep case rates manageable, buying time to prepare for a potential resurgence as we bolster our supply chain and discover effective interventions."

https://inside.upmc.com/yealy-shapir...gLueqwEAbyvoKE

How does that ^ translate into this:

"just getting us geezers out of the rest of you's hair isn't gonna cut it" [/b]

The bottom line is these physicians have instituted very effective measures for managing nursing home infections; why no outrage for at all the nursing home infections and deaths that have been allowed to run rampant at other nursing homes throughout the state?

Last edited by Maddie104; 05-15-2020 at 08:14 AM..

Old 05-15-2020, 08:17 AM

14,183 posts, read 9,080,000 times
Quote:
The bottom line is these physicians have instituted very effective measures for managing nursing home infections; why no outrage for at all the nursing home infections and deaths that have been allowed to run rampant at other nursing homes throughout the state?
I'll give you that.

I'll add, however, that the senior independent-living communities, many of which have assisted-living and memory-care wings, also seem not to be experiencing significant rates of infection.

Taken together with UPMC's experience, I'd have to say that a lot of people aren't following best practices in the nursing homes. But was there a requirement here, as there was in New York State, that nursing homes accept COVID patients?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia