Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2020, 08:19 AM

14,183 posts, read 9,080,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
"This will help inform how we grapple with opening society. Philadelphia, not too dissimilar to New York, with high case rates as a result of density, travel and socioeconomic diversity, must open up in a measured, stepwise manner with extensive testing, contact tracing and treatment. But, for the rest of the state, as people come out of their homes cautiously and safely, if we protect our vulnerable seniors, particularly those in nursing homes, we should be able to keep case rates manageable, buying time to prepare for a potential resurgence as we bolster our supply chain and discover effective interventions."

https://inside.upmc.com/yealy-shapir...gLueqwEAbyvoKE
Also: I did note that the more rural parts of the state are reopening now. Are you arguing that the less rural parts of the state outside the Southeast should also?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2020, 08:31 AM

3,146 posts, read 1,603,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I'll give you that.

I'll add, however, that the senior independent-living communities, many of which have assisted-living and memory-care wings, also seem not to be experiencing significant rates of infection.

Taken together with UPMC's experience, I'd have to say that a lot of people aren't following best practices in the nursing homes. But was there a requirement here, as there was in New York State, that nursing homes accept COVID patients?

The person to answer the question is Rachel Levine. Here has been her less than forthcoming response.

State Health Secretary Rachel Levine said nursing homes have always been a priority.

“I don’t think our initial and our continuing plans have been misguided at all,” Levine said at a May 4 news conference. “We have been working very hard throughout this entire process on protecting those homes as much as possible. It's a significant challenge, and we're continuing to do the very best we can.”

The outbreak of COVID-19 was always feared to be particularly acute among older populations in Pennsylvania, which has one of the highest numbers of nursing homes in the nation. But a growing chorus of providers, advocates, lawmakers, families, and residents now says that state officials were too slow to act and are still not doing enough to help.

In the meantime, some facilities have become death traps.

https://www.inquirer.com/health/coro...-20200509.html

Old 05-17-2020, 09:06 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,764,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
The more rural parts of Pennsylvania probably can open up now — and they are, according to the system Gov. Wolf set up.

But even though most of the COVID-19 deaths have occurred among the elderly, the virus is just unpredictable and serious enough that just getting us geezers out of the rest of you's hair isn't gonna cut it. Surely you've read the reports about some rare respiratory ailment now showing up in children; seems that's SARS-CoV-2 (the name given to the virus itself)-related.

Then there's this:

'I Wish I Could Do Something For You,' My Doctor Said | The New York Times

No co-morbidities. Early 30s. Healthy as a horse. Can't even walk a few blocks now without shortness of breath.

And I'm sure a story about a non-elderly person who came down with COVID-19, recovered, then suddenly took a serious turn for the worse, and even died, must have crossed your path; such stories have crossed mine.

Just reopening the country will produce more cases like these, trust me.
Another one of my cousins has it. She lives in Lansdowne. She's 68. One of my great nephews has a mild case so far. He lives in Charlotte, NC. He's 25. Both of them are like everyone else in my family: no drinking or smoking.

Old 05-18-2020, 11:05 AM

7,737 posts, read 5,521,830 times
Delaware County has surpassed Philadelphia county for the average number of new cases per day over 14 days. Philadelphia is at 240 new cases per day. That's down from the high of 408 on April 25th.

Old 05-19-2020, 08:11 AM

7,737 posts, read 5,521,830 times
Political cartoon: Feel exhausted after a Zoom meeting? There’s a reason

I thought some of the political cartoons in this were right on the money.

I am so sick of the commercials preaching togetherness while trying to make you buy a new car or something.

https://www.inquirer.com/resizer/fie...EDHMZO3DMU.jpg

Old 05-19-2020, 09:27 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,877,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Political cartoon: Feel exhausted after a Zoom meeting? There’s a reason

I thought some of the political cartoons in this were right on the money.

I am so sick of the commercials preaching togetherness while trying to make you buy a new car or something.

https://www.inquirer.com/resizer/fie...EDHMZO3DMU.jpg
+1000. If I hear another generic commercial say "during these uncertain times", I'm going to go crazy. Thankfully, I only listen to a couple radio stations (while cooking) and don't have to watch tv's commercials.

Old 05-19-2020, 02:28 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,246,893 times
I keep seeing articles by the restaurant industry pushing relaxation of city code for outdoor seating. I don't see how that could possibly work in Center City since our sidewalks are mostly 7 feet wide or less. In my experience over 90% of Center City restaurants, even before the virus, were in violation of pedestrian access. And you also have to contend with the Am. with Disabilities Act, which mandates a minimum of 3 feet open space for wheelchairs. My attachment shows 13th St. in front of Lolita's before the virus, and that is typical of 13th St. and much of Center City.

How's everyone doing amongst the Coronavirus shut down?-100_0051.jpg

Old 05-19-2020, 07:51 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,752,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
I keep seeing articles by the restaurant industry pushing relaxation of city code for outdoor seating. I don't see how that could possibly work in Center City since our sidewalks are mostly 7 feet wide or less. In my experience over 90% of Center City restaurants, even before the virus, were in violation of pedestrian access. And you also have to contend with the Am. with Disabilities Act, which mandates a minimum of 3 feet open space for wheelchairs. My attachment shows 13th St. in front of Lolita's before the virus, and that is typical of 13th St. and much of Center City.

Attachment 220584

Only place I would eat outside in center city is 2nd and Market. Walnut street is too narrow and too much pedestrian traffic.

Old 05-20-2020, 03:04 AM

14,183 posts, read 9,080,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
Only place I would eat outside in center city is 2nd and Market. Walnut street is too narrow and too much pedestrian traffic.
Walnut Street's sidewalks, however, are wider than the typical width for Center City sidewalks, at least east of Broad.

Old 05-20-2020, 04:27 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,877,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post

Attachment 220584
Do you mean that you are not interested in being crammed between moving pedestrians with their dogs and other diners and let's not forget fast-moving traffic two feet away? I don't blame you, and the restaurants that are trying to reopen outdoor seating in places like you posted are not going to be solving much of anything because there is no space for social distancing.

My wife is European and loves eating outdoors. It is part of her culture, but she hates the outdoor seating in most of Center City. She doesn't understand why Americans like to sit near fast-moving traffic and moving pedestrians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia