Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2020, 08:55 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,623,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I think that one of the major changes that will result from this is that in those fields where one's physical presence in a given place is not required, telecommuting will now be encouraged once the worst of the pandemic passes.

Employers and researchers are finding that productivity has increased among those now working at home. The change won't be total; innovation is more likely to occur where people gather together for in-person, face-to-face interaction, but as that won't be necessary all the time, even the people who want to innovate will probably enjoy working from home too.

One other reason why this will catch on: The lockdowns have both dramatically cut down on auto travel and cleared the skies over many cities worldwide, and you better believe that urban public officials, environmentalists and transportation planner have taken notice. Reducing auto commuting will pay off in reduced respiratory illnesses and fewer hours of jammed traffic.

I'm about halfway to the Angela Davis/Roberta Flack-sized Afro I sported when I was in high school and college. The only difference is, this one's gray.

The bold-faced part is what conservatives worry will happen when social safety nets are too generous. I think the term the economists use is "moral hazard."

Unfortunately, they seem equally resistant to the easiest way to reduce this hazard, which is to pay the lower-wage workers decently for the work they do.
I know I'm more productive and less anxious at home...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2020, 09:02 AM

3,146 posts, read 1,603,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
99.9% of people are in the path of this economic wrecking ball. The .01% have enough money regardless of whether they work again or not...ever. I would guess few in this forum are part of that group. Some may have some back-up money to get them through a period of time, but I wouldn't be quick to believe that those of us who are hesitant to open things back up are resisting because we are the privileged few.

The big delineation, from what I can see, is the quality of leadership. We could be more precise with how we manage social distancing, testing, contact tracing, rules, opening business, etc. However, we as a nation are like a quilt, with different shades of patchwork all over. I'm not sure how you get PA to improve on testing and contact tracing. Without it, how do you relax the regulations? The White House is now estimating 3,000 deaths per day starting in June....

It's like the conversation I've had with my old man 10,000 times. He says "you know how you fix XYZ? You do 123, and that's it." Well, he says this in a vacuum, ignoring the biggest problem (the real world conditions that stop us from doing 123).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Agreed, although the service industry often sees small margins of profit, making it hard to pay someone a decent wage (someone flipping burgers for $15, while keeping McDs meal prices low doesn't really work, does it?). De-industrialization really shipwrecked this country's ability to generate wealth for the average person. The Democrats seem to miss this and the Republicans use it as a strawman for avoiding change. Neither are solving the problem.

Sorry Toobusy, I'll stop now.
Agree with most of your comments.

The problem becomes wages get too high and jobs get outsourced or automated. Fast food, grocery stores, banks, retail jobs are being automated. Major US suppliers of PPE cannot compete with China pricing, etc. We are becoming more of a gig economy but how stable is that. I believe the solution lies in education and training for jobs of the future funded through tax incentives to companies.

No need to apologize. Yes, the topic has deviated from corona virus shutdown but I find it preferable to the many postings about mask wearing.

Old 05-07-2020, 09:10 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,263,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I get the feeling that you came on here to talk down to people. Everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion. Your opinion is just that, you're opinion. You're welcome to voice your opinion as is everyone else.
A few pages back, the whole “groupthink” theme emerged. Just because most people don’t agree with someone’s histrionics doesn’t mean groupthink is at play. It just means people aren’t buying what a poster is selling. In this instance, a cigar is just a cigar.

If people will stop responding to him or her (or use the “Ignore” feature), the poster will stop riding their hobby horse. For all we know, s/he doesn’t even believe their posts, but gets off on riling people up. Lots of folks are bored these days.

At the end of the day, the poster will go back to which ever forum they frequent. Regular posters there are probably happy to have a reprieve, even if short-lived. Until then, treat him or her like a gnat flying around your living room. It you leave the window open, the gnat will eventually go away.

Old 05-07-2020, 09:28 AM

3,146 posts, read 1,603,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
A few pages back, the whole “groupthink” theme emerged. Just because most people don’t agree with someone’s histrionics doesn’t mean groupthink is at play. It just means people aren’t buying what a poster is selling. In this instance, a cigar is just a cigar.

If people will stop responding to him or her (or use the “Ignore” feature), the poster will stop riding their hobby horse. For all we know, s/he doesn’t even believe their posts, but gets off on riling people up. Lots of folks are bored these days.

At the end of the day, the poster will go back to which ever forum they frequent. Regular posters there are probably happy to have a reprieve, even if short-lived. Until then, treat him or her like a gnat flying around your living room. It you leave the window open, the gnat will eventually go away.
I am a free agent. I am not a groupie or whatever term is used for the "regular posters." I post whether someone responds to my post or not. However, I do respond to posts that reference me so you might want to private message a poster in the future. As you stated, people are free to ignore as I do for many posters as opposed to letting the poster or other posters know how boring, biased, or full of BS I find the post. What purpose does that serve when you can just ignore? The C-D forum is open to everyone no matter what their opinions are and whether you like them or not. Be aware there is an audience larger than the "regular posters" so please reign in the sense of self-importance.

Last edited by Maddie104; 05-07-2020 at 09:46 AM..

Old 05-07-2020, 09:43 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
I've enjoyed saving money and paying off debt. I don't want to stop work from home until June or July at least.
I'm not missing the commute, that's for sure. That will be the hard part about going back to the office. I'm hoping to be able to negotiate a mixed home/office schedule once our office reopens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
The Census has so much to do with what our immediate local community will be. We always get under counted as it is.
Thanks for the reminder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Before that, although it might be considered a waste by some, there's the PA primary on 6/2, which, for the very first time, we can vote by mail.
I really do hope this is a success and can be an option in all elections. Of course, this year it's prudent to allow mail ballots to reduce contact. Each state should be encouraging voter participation, and if mailing in a ballot increases participation, I'm all for it.

Old 05-07-2020, 09:58 AM

14,186 posts, read 9,080,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
You seem to be unaware of a popular position among many low wage and furloughed people at this time. It goes a little bit like this: "Do not beg to work, to put your well-being or the well-being of the vulnerable at risk. Demand to live, and demand that those at the top echelon of society for whom we have generated profit share that profit for the well-being of society." I have belabored on this thread that there is a "third way," that we do not have the false choice between softening social distancing too early in order to put people back to work, and remaining furloughed with no income. I have also asked, "do we have the ethical courage to pursue such a third way?"

I am fortunate not to be furloughed at this time and to be working remotely. However, I have plenty of friends who are, and what I stated above is a reflection of what they believe.
I shared that quote with my Facebook followers and got a slew of approving reactions in return (13 so far in the hour or so after I shared it). One wanted to know who wrote it. One reason I shared it is because it's probably the most elegant writing I've seen here on C-D in a while, and whenever I run across outstanding writing, I usually want to praise and share it.

If you're willing to let me reveal your identity to my Facebook friend, PM me.

Old 05-07-2020, 12:31 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,698,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post

+5

Oh, I agree with you. I just felt a need to state my opinion, which wasn't recieved well.

The funny part was the group think comment. Considering how often people disagree on this board, it was laughable. Somehow, some way, we are pretty much in agreement on the Covid topic. It's absolutely not group think. Accidents happen.

Old 05-07-2020, 12:55 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,623,951 times
Dad said Rothman is opening back up on 21 May.

I've read that SEPA and NEPA won't be opening for a while. Who knows?

Old 05-07-2020, 03:57 PM

6 posts, read 3,963 times
I'm doing okay I'm still employed throughout this whole pandemic fortunately. Might be moving to philly soon!

Old 05-07-2020, 04:10 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,752,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I think that one of the major changes that will result from this is that in those fields where one's physical presence in a given place is not required, telecommuting will now be encouraged once the worst of the pandemic passes.

Employers and researchers are finding that productivity has increased among those now working at home. The change won't be total; innovation is more likely to occur where people gather together for in-person, face-to-face interaction, but as that won't be necessary all the time, even the people who want to innovate will probably enjoy working from home too.

One other reason why this will catch on: The lockdowns have both dramatically cut down on auto travel and cleared the skies over many cities worldwide, and you better believe that urban public officials, environmentalists and transportation planner have taken notice. Reducing auto commuting will pay off in reduced respiratory illnesses and fewer hours of jammed traffic.

I'm about halfway to the Angela Davis/Roberta Flack-sized Afro I sported when I was in high school and college. The only difference is, this one's gray.

The bold-faced part is what conservatives worry will happen when social safety nets are too generous. I think the term the economists use is "moral hazard."

Unfortunately, they seem equally resistant to the easiest way to reduce this hazard, which is to pay the lower-wage workers decently for the work they do.
I will have my fro by July 4th weekend
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia