Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2020, 02:00 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,460,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
The poster in question has an interest in the corona virus in the Philadelphia area and how the stay at home orders are impacting people who don't seem represented in this forum -- the unemployed, the children who come from low-income households who are impacted by the closing of schools, and other socioeconomic issues. Yes, there is group think by people who haven't been similarly impacted and some posted how they is economically advantaged by the close down. It's interesting that those same posters personally attack "the poster in question" rather than the ideas expressed principally as referenced by the Harvard School of Public Health, Epidemologists and other expert sources.

Not sure what your definition of "it's not working" is but I don't see how you represent all those who post and do not post but read this forum so it's rather arrogant to suggest something of the sort. For the record I can count several posters who have acknowledged and agree to varying degrees with my positions.

"Seniority" on the forum does not confer thought policing rights. Some "senior" posters would do well to get their emotions under control when in disagreement.
You seem to be unaware of a popular position among many low wage and furloughed people at this time. It goes a little bit like this: "Do not beg to work, to put your well-being or the well-being of the vulnerable at risk. Demand to live, and demand that those at the top echelon of society for whom we have generated profit share that profit for the well-being of society." I have belabored on this thread that there is a "third way," that we do not have the false choice between softening social distancing too early in order to put people back to work, and remaining furloughed with no income. I have also asked, "do we have the ethical courage to pursue such a third way?"

I am fortunate not to be furloughed at this time and to be working remotely. However, I have plenty of friends who are, and what I stated above is a reflection of what they believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2020, 02:02 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,783,360 times
Construction on 2100 Hamilton and Arthaus( Broad and Spruce) has resumed.

Old 05-06-2020, 02:14 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,763,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Ask Tom Wolf.
it will be before the year is over. thats we know

Old 05-06-2020, 02:26 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,783,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
You seem to be unaware of a popular position among many low wage and furloughed people at this time. It goes a little bit like this: "Do not beg to work, to put your well-being or the well-being of the vulnerable at risk. Demand to live, and demand that those at the top echelon of society for whom we have generated profit share that profit for the well-being of society." I have belabored on this thread that there is a "third way," that we do not have the false choice between softening social distancing too early in order to put people back to work, and remaining furloughed with no income. I have also asked, "do we have the ethical courage to pursue such a third way?"

I am fortunate not to be furloughed at this time and to be working remotely. However, I have plenty of friends who are, and what I stated above is a reflection of what they believe.
Just so you all know one of my first cousins ( one I grew up with) had covid-19. She didn't have to be hospitalized but she was very sick and she's a type-2 diabetic. She is much better now. Her son is an emergency room nurse at Einstein, so, yes, obviously he is living the horror of this virus. Then I have an acquaintance, who's entire household became infected. Luckily they are okay.

Finally my aunt, the oldest person in my family at almost 102, lives with her daughter and two grand daughters. One grand daughter works at home. The other was only working part-time and still is. And the daughter(another first cousin) is retired. But, they rarely leave their home unless they have to since there is an obvious danger wrt bringing the virus inside. My aunt, as fate would have it, was born right when the 1918 outbreak was going on in the city.

So, I have been personally impacted by the virus. Maddie can think whatever she wants. She obviously has no idea who has been impacted on this thread and who has not.

Old 05-06-2020, 03:05 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,888,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post

There are some folks that are very angry to have to go back to work when they were making more on unemployment. I am also fortunate not to be laid off or furloughed, but I remain aware that it could happen to me or anyone in this mess.

Old 05-06-2020, 03:14 PM

Quote:
The poster in question has an interest in the corona virus in the Philadelphia area and how the stay at home orders are impacting people who don't seem represented in this forum -- the unemployed, the children who come from low-income households who are impacted by the closing of schools, and small business owners. Yes, there is group think by people who haven't been similarly impacted and some post how they is economically advantaged by the close down and hope it continues. It's interesting that those some of thos same posters personally attack "the poster in question" rather than the ideas expressed principally as referenced by the Harvard School of Public Health, Epidemologists and other expert sources.

Not sure what your definition of "it's not working" is but I don't see how you represent all those who post and do not post but read this forum so it's rather arrogant to suggest something of the sort. For the record I can count several posters who have acknowledged and agree to varying extent with my positions.

"Seniority" on the forum does not confer thought policing rights. Some "senior" posters would do well to get their emotions under control when in disagreement. It has the effect of "chilling" contributions by others (which may be the desired purpose.)
99.9% of people are in the path of this economic wrecking ball. The .01% have enough money regardless of whether they work again or not...ever. I would guess few in this forum are part of that group. Some may have some back-up money to get them through a period of time, but I wouldn't be quick to believe that those of us who are hesitant to open things back up are resisting because we are the privileged few.

The big delineation, from what I can see, is the quality of leadership. We could be more precise with how we manage social distancing, testing, contact tracing, rules, opening business, etc. However, we as a nation are like a quilt, with different shades of patchwork all over. I'm not sure how you get PA to improve on testing and contact tracing. Without it, how do you relax the regulations? The White House is now estimating 3,000 deaths per day starting in June....

It's like the conversation I've had with my old man 10,000 times. He says "you know how you fix XYZ? You do 123, and that's it." Well, he says this in a vacuum, ignoring the biggest problem (the real world conditions that stop us from doing 123).

Old 05-06-2020, 06:32 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,741,920 times
Quote:
The poster in question has an interest in the corona virus in the Philadelphia area and how the stay at home orders are impacting people who don't seem represented in this forum -- the unemployed, the children who come from low-income households who are impacted by the closing of schools, and small business owners. Yes, there is group think by people who haven't been similarly impacted and some post how they is economically advantaged by the close down and hope it continues. It's interesting that those some of thos same posters personally attack "the poster in question" rather than the ideas expressed principally as referenced by the Harvard School of Public Health, Epidemologists and other expert sources.

Not sure what your definition of "it's not working" is but I don't see how you represent all those who post and do not post but read this forum so it's rather arrogant to suggest something of the sort. For the record I can count several posters who have acknowledged and agree to varying extent with my positions.

"Seniority" on the forum does not confer thought policing rights. Some "senior" posters would do well to get their emotions under control when in disagreement. It has the effect of "chilling" contributions by others (which may be the desired purpose.)
I get the feeling that you came on here to talk down to people. Everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion. Your opinion is just that, you're opinion. You're welcome to voice your opinion as is everyone else.

Old 05-07-2020, 03:16 AM

3,156 posts, read 1,615,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I get the feeling that you came on here to talk down to people. Everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion. Your opinion is just that, you're opinion. You're welcome to voice your opinion as is everyone else.
My intent is to bring some forth alternative ideas based on a variety of experts and to challenge what our government (state and federal) is putting forth. A forum is to exchange ideas, challenge ideas, etc. Someone shouldn't expect to post an opinion and not be challenged. As I posted numerous times I welcome a challenge supported by facts. I have seen first-hand what this shutdown is doing to people, particularly those in low-income families (and not just economically) and, other than a few posters, it doesn't appear that this being given much consideration by those in the camp of "we must follow the guidelines, honker down, stay the course . . . we don't want to become Italy."
My most recent post included an article by Jeffrey Morris who argues that keeping the country closed until everyone is tested is not feasible.
https://www.inquirer.com/health/expe...-20200430.html

In my opinion, Penn has provided a wonderful resource of information on Covid-19 that includes "The Department of Biostatistics, Epidemiology and Informatics brings together experts in three basic sciences, who create and demonstrate novel methods." https://www.dbei.med.upenn.edu/faculty

So my hope is posters won't accept everything the public mouthpieces are telling us and dig deeper. In any event, if someone isn't interested in this subject or doesn't like my tone, feel free to put me on ignore. Personal attacks are not constructive. Any poster should not assume his/her opinion is representative of all readers of my posts.

Last edited by Maddie104; 05-07-2020 at 04:10 AM..

Old 05-07-2020, 06:30 AM

14,267 posts, read 9,147,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
When are things reopening? I'm hoping not until the summer...

I've enjoyed saving money and paying off debt. I don't want to stop work from home until June or July at least.
I think that one of the major changes that will result from this is that in those fields where one's physical presence in a given place is not required, telecommuting will now be encouraged once the worst of the pandemic passes.

Employers and researchers are finding that productivity has increased among those now working at home. The change won't be total; innovation is more likely to occur where people gather together for in-person, face-to-face interaction, but as that won't be necessary all the time, even the people who want to innovate will probably enjoy working from home too.

One other reason why this will catch on: The lockdowns have both dramatically cut down on auto travel and cleared the skies over many cities worldwide, and you better believe that urban public officials, environmentalists and transportation planner have taken notice. Reducing auto commuting will pay off in reduced respiratory illnesses and fewer hours of jammed traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
This is my 2nd week working from home which means I wont need a haircut for a while because I only go out to buy food or medicine. And how good do I need to look to do that? lol
I'm about halfway to the Angela Davis/Roberta Flack-sized Afro I sported when I was in high school and college. The only difference is, this one's gray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
There are some folks that are very angry to have to go back to work when they were making more on unemployment. I am also fortunate not to be laid off or furloughed, but I remain aware that it could happen to me or anyone in this mess.
The bold-faced part is what conservatives worry will happen when social safety nets are too generous. I think the term the economists use is "moral hazard."

Unfortunately, they seem equally resistant to the easiest way to reduce this hazard, which is to pay the lower-wage workers decently for the work they do.

Old 05-07-2020, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
The bold-faced part is what conservatives worry will happen when social safety nets are too generous. I think the term the economists use is "moral hazard."

Unfortunately, they seem equally resistant to the easiest way to reduce this hazard, which is to pay the lower-wage workers decently for the work they do.
Agreed, although the service industry often sees small margins of profit, making it hard to pay someone a decent wage (someone flipping burgers for $15, while keeping McDs meal prices low doesn't really work, does it?). De-industrialization really shipwrecked this country's ability to generate wealth for the average person. The Democrats seem to miss this and the Republicans use it as a strawman for avoiding change. Neither are solving the problem.

Sorry Toobusy, I'll stop now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia