Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2020, 03:21 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,342,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
One of Macys worst locations is 13th and Market. Had to go to Cherry Hill to get a nice wallet
Its actually among their higher performing stores (mostly due to location and foot traffic), but I agree, the Macys in Cherry Hill and KoP are better stocked, more organized, brighter and just nicer.
Kinda stinks since the Wanamker Building is so stunning, but the store mostly feels a bit dark and dreary, except the newer home section on the third floor.

But info from a friend, the Macys in CC, Cherry Hill, KoP, Christiana and Springfield and all high-performing stores, I don't see those going down unless the whole company goes down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2020, 03:26 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,751,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Its actually among their higher performing stores (mostly due to location and foot traffic), but I agree, the Macys in Cherry Hill and KoP are better stocked, more organized, brighter and just nicer.
Kinda stinks since the Wanamker Building is so stunning, but the store mostly feels a bit dark and dreary, except the newer home section on the third floor.

But info from a friend, the Macys in CC, Cherry Hill, KoP, Christiana and Springfield and all high-performing stores, I don't see those going down unless the whole company goes down.
I like the one in Roosevelt Mall too

Old 04-12-2020, 01:14 AM

14,183 posts, read 9,080,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
OT: Wasn't Sebelius tapped for HHS?
You're right. My bad. He tapped Tom Vilsack of Iowa for Agriculture.

Old 04-12-2020, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post

My recollection also is that Macy's has four stores it considers "flagships": two of its own and two it conferred that status on because of their histories.

The two purely Macy flagships are the Herald Square store (natch) and the store on Union Square in San Francisco (where the Macy's Flower Show tradition was born).

The two legacies are the store in Chicago (former Marshall Field & Company) and this one (John Wanamaker).

Old 04-12-2020, 07:27 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,342,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
My recollection also is that Macy's has four stores it considers "flagships": two of its own and two it conferred that status on because of their histories.

The two purely Macy flagships are the Herald Square store (natch) and the store on Union Square in San Francisco (where the Macy's Flower Show tradition was born).

The two legacies are the store in Chicago (former Marshall Field & Company) and this one (John Wanamaker).
How ironic that the Center City store gets the least TLC when compared to the other 3. But I won't go off topic any further.

Old 04-13-2020, 09:47 AM

1,525 posts, read 1,184,535 times
Quote:

Slightly OT, but I can happily say that I've been to three of those four locations. Happy because if they go down, well, at least I saw them. Lol. Never been to Chicago.

Old 04-13-2020, 10:07 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,751,659 times
well that stimulus check in my account this morning made me feel better

Old 04-13-2020, 04:07 PM

558 posts, read 299,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
Slightly OT, but I can happily say that I've been to three of those four locations. Happy because if they go down, well, at least I saw them. Lol. Never been to Chicago.
I was there when it turned over from Marshall Fields to Macy's. What an iconic and amazing location. The history, the service and the merchandise was outstanding.

It was never the same after the turnover and I stopped shopping there. They should have created something along the lines of the NYC flagship but didn't. It felt like mall retail merchandiser housed in a grand space.

Old 04-13-2020, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownDweller View Post
I was there when it turned over from Marshall Fields to Macy's. What an iconic and amazing location. The history, the service and the merchandise was outstanding.

It was never the same after the turnover and I stopped shopping there. They should have created something along the lines of the NYC flagship but didn't. It felt like mall retail merchandiser housed in a grand space.
I think you could say the exact same thing about Macy's Center City Philadelphia store, even though that store's downsizing began two owners before Macy's acquired it. (Marshall Field's was fortunate to have been part of Dayton Hudson Corporation in its last years, before the Minneapolis-based retailer decided to get out of traditional department store retail altogether, sold its eponymous chains along with Marshall Field's, and renamed itself after its discount division. Carter Hawley Hale [later Broadway-Hale] had no idea what to do with the store the Rodman Wanamaker Trust left to slowly molder on the vine, and its sale to Washington's Woodward and Lothrop may have given it an injection of youth serum, but not a big enough one. The bloodletting began when May Department Stores of St. Louis, parent of Woodies' rival Hecht's, bought out Woodies and thus Wanamakers with it. For a while, they operated the Center City store under the Hecht's banner. When Strawbridge & Clothier also succumbed [also to May, which had learned its lesson from the Wanamaker acquisition and kept the Strawbridge name on its new Hecht's division stores], May shrank the store to the bottom 2.5 floors and turned it into a Lord & Taylor. Then Macy's acquired May, and here we are. At least Macy's added back the Chestnut Street side of the third floor.)

And I'll also speculate that the upper floors of Marshall Field's are now office space. Are they?

Old 04-13-2020, 05:12 PM

558 posts, read 299,632 times
Quote:
I think you could say the exact same thing about Macy's Center City Philadelphia store, even though that store's downsizing began two owners before Macy's acquired it. (Marshall Field's was fortunate to have been part of Dayton Hudson Corporation in its last years, before the Minneapolis-based retailer decided to get out of traditional department store retail altogether, sold its eponymous chains along with Marshall Field's, and renamed itself after its discount division. Carter Hawley Hale [later Broadway-Hale] had no idea what to do with the store the Rodman Wanamaker Trust left to slowly molder on the vine, and its sale to Washington's Woodward and Lothrop may have given it an injection of youth serum, but not a big enough one. The bloodletting began when May Department Stores of St. Louis, parent of Woodies' rival Hecht's, bought out Woodies and thus Wanamakers with it. For a while, they operated the Center City store under the Hecht's banner. When Strawbridge & Clothier also succumbed [also to May, which had learned its lesson from the Wanamaker acquisition and kept the Strawbridge name on its new Hecht's division stores], May shrank the store to the bottom 2.5 floors and turned it into a Lord & Taylor. Then Macy's acquired May, and here we are. At least Macy's added back the Chestnut Street side of the third floor.)

And I'll also speculate that the upper floors of Marshall Field's are now office space. Are they?
Interesting history, off topic but a good read anyway. Yes, it has been office space for a while.

Same thing happened to the iconic Carson Pirie Scott store, one block down from MF on State Street. MF was built in several stages over years, but CPS was designed by Louis Henry Sullivan and is a masterpiece. Sullivan was the man who saw promise in a young architect named Frank Lloyd Wright and subsequently loaned him $5,000 towards his Oak Park home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia