Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2021, 02:12 PM

7,737 posts, read 5,518,049 times

Advertisements

The final twist to the story (at least for now):
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2021, 06:02 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,451,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
The final twist to the story (at least for now):
I went out yesterday to enjoy the last day of it vehicle-free. There were SO MANY pedestrians and cyclists out enjoying the park. I am disappointed, but perhaps one day the city will reflect on how much better the area is vehicle-free and reverse course.

Old 08-04-2021, 08:04 PM

968 posts, read 1,141,796 times
Speed cameras are just a money maker anyway. They can't prove it was you driving so nothing will be assessed to your driving record, just a nice hefty fine you'll get in the mail. Screw "the Boulevard". I avoid that road like the plague anyway. Have done so for the past 6 years, and I have learned how to navigate all those windy little streets to get from 95 to Cottman, Bustleton and Rising Sun on a monthly basis.

I speed on Lincoln Drive when going to work on Pulaski. Everyone does. There are no shoulders and thus no room for anyone to be pulled over. I have never seen ONE vechicle do the speed limit on that road. 25mph is a joke.

Crack down more on the idiots who want to stay in the left lane and drive slow. They are the real problem.

Old 08-05-2021, 11:39 AM

445 posts, read 414,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoNJtoPA View Post
Speed cameras are just a money maker anyway. They can't prove it was you driving so nothing will be assessed to your driving record, just a nice hefty fine you'll get in the mail. Screw "the Boulevard". I avoid that road like the plague anyway. Have done so for the past 6 years, and I have learned how to navigate all those windy little streets to get from 95 to Cottman, Bustleton and Rising Sun on a monthly basis.

I speed on Lincoln Drive when going to work on Pulaski. Everyone does. There are no shoulders and thus no room for anyone to be pulled over. I have never seen ONE vechicle do the speed limit on that road. 25mph is a joke.

Crack down more on the idiots who want to stay in the left lane and drive slow. They are the real problem.
Heh, no.

Speed cameras drastically reduce crashes, including major injury and fatality crashes.

https://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafe...camera%20sites.

Speeding is the number one cause of excess death and serious crashes in our country. We don't even blink an eye that 30,000+ people are brutally killed each year on our roads. It's almost all because of speed. Ever seen the result of a speeding crash up close? I have. Blood, guts, body parts everywhere. It's gruesome and kinda wild we just come to expect that it's gonna happen every day.

Besides, don't you want lower car insurance and healthcare costs?

Old 08-05-2021, 01:38 PM

968 posts, read 1,141,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridge12 View Post
Heh, no.

Speed cameras drastically reduce crashes, including major injury and fatality crashes.

https://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafe...camera%20sites.

Speeding is the number one cause of excess death and serious crashes in our country. We don't even blink an eye that 30,000+ people are brutally killed each year on our roads. It's almost all because of speed. Ever seen the result of a speeding crash up close? I have. Blood, guts, body parts everywhere. It's gruesome and kinda wild we just come to expect that it's gonna happen every day.

Besides, don't you want lower car insurance and healthcare costs?
Any speed crash was most likely caused by the car in front of them driving too slow. If I'm speeding at least I'm not in anyone's way.

More accidents occur from a car driving too slow in the passing lane than speeding alone.

https://suttoninsurance.com/blog/why...-be-dangerous/

You see it on the roads all the time: "Slow Traffic Keep Right", "Keep Right Except To Pass" or "Left Lane for Passing Only". They just don't enforce it as much as the speed limit because it's easier to catch a speeder and thus easier to write more tickes to generate revenue.

Old 08-08-2021, 10:58 AM

79 posts, read 43,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
There are a number of speed reducing tools that can be used to keep traffic moving along in an efficient but slightly reduced speed.

These include rumble strips every so many feet, low impact speed humps, safety warning lights if you go above posted speed, and pedestrian crossings with lights, to allow for pedestrians to cross the road more safely.

I think the above would be a good first step to keep MLK drive open during the weekdays peak traffic times, without making it a major expressway with traffic going 50 MPH, which can be the case many times, and why I think many are advocating for a total closure.

If we can get average speed closer to 35 MPH, you will see a much more balanced parkway, that achieves two goals. Maintaining the area as a recreational space, and a major artery to get people from Center City and into the western part of the city and its surrounding suburbs.
I agree with you 100% here. Even about what you said before, not that many joggers, cyclist, and walkers are out and about on MLK during the week, especially in the earlier hours. And, on my days off I walked the MLK a few times, and barely saw ppl. More ppl were on Kelly Drive side, and I think it was always that way even before Covid, when I used to cycle the entire Schuylkill banks to South St. for fun. Although, I don't own a car, I'm a driver, and think this balance would make things safer. Even if the city added in some concrete barriers on the parts of the trails that are closer to the street for advanced safety to protect pedestrians, and cyclist.

Old 08-08-2021, 11:25 AM

79 posts, read 43,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoNJtoPA View Post
Any speed crash was most likely caused by the car in front of them driving too slow. If I'm speeding at least I'm not in anyone's way.

More accidents occur from a car driving too slow in the passing lane than speeding alone.

https://suttoninsurance.com/blog/why...-be-dangerous/

You see it on the roads all the time: "Slow Traffic Keep Right", "Keep Right Except To Pass" or "Left Lane for Passing Only". They just don't enforce it as much as the speed limit because it's easier to catch a speeder and thus easier to write more tickes to generate revenue.
My bad bridge12 I didn't mean to quote you. I think I deleted it.

Okay, maybe, but whoa, whoa, whoa!!! Yes, driving too slow isn't safe, unless you have flashers on, clear as day. So, you're telling me a guy doing 70, plowing into a slower driver doing 45mph in a 50, is the slower drivers fault? No no no!!! If you're a good driver, and drive defensively things like this wouldn't happen. You can observe a slower driver from a mile away the faster you approach because it'll look as if they're at a standstill. I see it all the time while I'm at work. Fools who think they're too fast and furious, like they're in a, "batmobile". Thinking they're the only ones who gotta get somewhere, drive better, and everyone else is in their way. Bob and weaving, not even realizing they didn't have enough space while switching lanes, but because I eased off is what saved us. Tailgating at 80mph like an a**hat is the problem. These type wanna gorilla the road, they're the problem. If I'm doing 80, why would you be on my back at 85mph? What if a deer ran out, my tire blew out, a sudden downpour, or I had an asthma attack? I see these type fools every time I drive. They think they're the next Jeff Gordon and Danica Patrick, but won't sign up for Nascar.

Last edited by KaM n.p.; 08-08-2021 at 11:38 AM..

Old 08-09-2021, 08:12 AM

1,697 posts, read 972,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaM n.p. View Post
My bad bridge12 I didn't mean to quote you. I think I deleted it.

Okay, maybe, but whoa, whoa, whoa!!! Yes, driving too slow isn't safe, unless you have flashers on, clear as day. So, you're telling me a guy doing 70, plowing into a slower driver doing 45mph in a 50, is the slower drivers fault? No no no!!! If you're a good driver, and drive defensively things like this wouldn't happen. You can observe a slower driver from a mile away the faster you approach because it'll look as if they're at a standstill. I see it all the time while I'm at work. Fools who think they're too fast and furious, like they're in a, "batmobile". Thinking they're the only ones who gotta get somewhere, drive better, and everyone else is in their way. Bob and weaving, not even realizing they didn't have enough space while switching lanes, but because I eased off is what saved us. Tailgating at 80mph like an a**hat is the problem. These type wanna gorilla the road, they're the problem. If I'm doing 80, why would you be on my back at 85mph? What if a deer ran out, my tire blew out, a sudden downpour, or I had an asthma attack? I see these type fools every time I drive. They think they're the next Jeff Gordon and Danica Patrick, but won't sign up for Nascar.
These people should have their licenses taken. But then, the entirety of New Jersey would be on mass transit.

Old 08-09-2021, 08:25 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,451,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
These people should have their licenses taken. But then, the entirety of New Jersey would be on mass transit.
Agree. About a month ago I was literally almost killed on 95 by someone who took it upon themselves to traverse 3 lanes in a matter of seconds, going well over 100 mph. As he was entering the the farthest left lane, the lane I was in, he nearly merged right into the front half of my car, because *shocker* when you are traversing lanes that fast at that speed, you are most definitely not taking time to check your mirrors and blind spots. Fortunately, I am a pretty defensive driver and keep and eye on all lanes behind me. I noticed his reckless driving when he was coming up from behind in the farthest right lane, and was aware of how fast he was changing lanes. I was fortunate to have ample shoulder space to move to the left just in time. Not sure what would have happened if I didn't have a shoulder, as is the case in many parts of our highways. I am not one to blow my horn for no reason, but you can believe he got an earful for that idiocy.

The sad thing is, what I describe is all too common on our roadways.

Old 08-09-2021, 08:39 AM

1,697 posts, read 972,844 times
I literally see this several times, everyday, on either 76, 95 or 476.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia