Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2021, 08:16 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,452,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweb66 View Post
Drivers need to go with the flow. If you are in the left hand lane and people are constantly passing you on the right, you need to move, speed limit regardless. But I don't think everyone knows the left lane is for passing and frankly its not a huge emphasis in say Driver's Ed. If this was Germany, they'd know the drill.
Honestly, I can never bring myself to believe that people out there don't know the left lane is for passing. It's one of the most basic rules of driving on highways. I think it is that many people just don't care.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Indeed they would, and outside the cities, there would be no speed limit at all.

But as you point out, Germany has far more rigorous driver education and licensing requirements.

Back to the person who nearly clipped Muinteoir: I don't care what freeway you're on or what any other driver is doing in the leftmost lane, it's the person doing 100 who's the danger when they're driving at that speed, for I can guarantee you that no other driver on that highway is going anywhere near that — they're probably doing 80 tops.
This. Even if I weren't actively passing and keeping up with the flow of the left lane, which I was, it still wouldn't have been acceptable. It is never acceptable to merge into another person and force them to quickly swerve into the shoulder in order to save their life. It is sad that anyone would try to make that anyone else's fault other than the reckless driver's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2021, 07:15 AM

968 posts, read 1,142,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
Honestly, I can never bring myself to believe that people out there don't know the left lane is for passing. It's one of the most basic rules of driving on highways. I think it is that many people just don't care.
Oh I can believe it. They don't teach that in NY. And with all the NY plates around here, you can only imagine how many PA plates that start with K and L are NY transplants.

And there is an existing attitude that someone in the left lane things that someone speeding around them is more in the wrong than they are for staying put in the left lane.

Bottom line: If you are in the left lane and people are passing you on the right, YOU'RE the problem now, regardless of the speed limit. It's not your ticket. Unless you're a cop it's not your job to enforce it.

Old 08-16-2021, 01:24 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,452,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoNJtoPA View Post
Oh I can believe it. They don't teach that in NY. And with all the NY plates around here, you can only imagine how many PA plates that start with K and L are NY transplants.

And there is an existing attitude that someone in the left lane things that someone speeding around them is more in the wrong than they are for staying put in the left lane.

Bottom line: If you are in the left lane and people are passing you on the right, YOU'RE the problem now, regardless of the speed limit. It's not your ticket. Unless you're a cop it's not your job to enforce it.
I learned to drive in NYS, and I can attest I was taught the left lane is for passing. All of my hometown friends and family know it too. And as much as I personally like to tease NJ drivers, I don't think it's as much a this-state or that-state issue, as much as it is the apathy of lazy drivers.

That bottom line misses actual dynamics of congested highways that are so common here. Often, there is no possible way to go faster in the left lane without wizzing around unsafely/stupidly. And even then, it is often a fruitless task. Left lane "rules" are irrelevant when there are too many cars for people to even reach speed limit. Someone cutting directly into others and forcing them into the shoulder is wrong, period. Especially (but not limited to) when said others are keeping up with a left lane that is, unsurprisingly, congested. These drivers who cut into others often just have no patience for driving in congested highways, and think it is all about them. To that I say, grow up, learn some patience, or find a new method of transportation.

And yeah, obviously if you have room to move over, and there are people trying to pass, get over. That is common sense. I don't imagine anyone here would argue with that. But that's not what we're (or, at least, I am) talking about.

Last edited by Muinteoir; 08-16-2021 at 02:54 PM..

Old 08-21-2021, 08:13 AM

968 posts, read 1,142,233 times
Quote:
I learned to drive in NYS, and I can attest I was taught the left lane is for passing. All of my hometown friends and family know it too. And as much as I personally like to tease NJ drivers, I don't think it's as much a this-state or that-state issue, as much as it is the apathy of lazy drivers.

I meant NYC. They don't teach it there. Probably different upstate or out on Long Island.

Old 08-21-2021, 08:57 AM

14,182 posts, read 9,075,142 times
Quote:
But the rules do vary from state to state.

In Missouri, where I learned to drive, signs on the state's freeways read "Slower traffic keep right." IOW, traveling in the left lane is allowed there.

Since I don't think there's a master list of which states observe this rule and which reserve the left lane for passing only, it's quite likely that even states in that latter category don't enforce that rule strictly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia