Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2020, 10:31 AM

1,213 posts, read 953,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownDweller View Post
As you said, the driver will be employers, not employees. 36 Million people have received pink slips in the past 2 months. They will not be driving this decision.

And corporate execs see a cost/benefit to a WFH workforce, which is why FB, Dell, Microsoft, Twitter and others are moving to make it permanent.

Pertaining to the original post, it will take a whole lot of WFH to make sense taking an artery like MLK offline...
Sure, the main driver will be employer cost savings, but it will also be talent recruitment and retention. The best and brightest will simply refuse to go to an office every day and find a company which enables more flexible working. Bottom line though it's very likely that millions of workers will be driving a whole lot less Monday-Friday. Is it enough to make 76 palatable for daily driving? Hopefully...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2020, 12:39 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,558,685 times
Or maybe extend the time it's close until say November

Old 05-15-2020, 01:38 PM

558 posts, read 299,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
Sure, the main driver will be employer cost savings, but it will also be talent recruitment and retention. The best and brightest will simply refuse to go to an office every day and find a company which enables more flexible working. Bottom line though it's very likely that millions of workers will be driving a whole lot less Monday-Friday. Is it enough to make 76 palatable for daily driving? Hopefully...
I agree, there will be millions driving less Monday-Friday and less congested rush hours after this is over. But the Schuylkill palatable for daily driving.... Lol

Old 05-15-2020, 01:50 PM

1,213 posts, read 953,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TownDweller View Post
I agree, there will be millions driving less Monday-Friday and less congested rush hours after this is over. But the Schuylkill palatable for daily driving.... Lol
LOL... you could be right. The Schuylkill is the absolute worst.

Old 04-08-2021, 06:02 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,447,522 times
It's been fantastic to see the number of people out enjoying the generous amount of space to bike, run, and walk this week. It's crazy, because this part of West Fairmount used to be quite vacant of pedestrians. This is a once in a century opportunity to drastically improve Philadelphia's park space and bike accessibility. Let's not miss this opportunity. Keep it closed!

Old 04-08-2021, 08:09 AM

1,697 posts, read 969,207 times
Welp. All the speculation of an institutional shift to Work From Home is all for naught.

I have to go into Conshy three times a week for work. The insanity on the Schuykill is as bad as it ever was pre-covid.

People around here are absolutely nuts behind the wheel.

Old 04-08-2021, 08:55 AM

For those who agree with keeping it closed, sign here: Reimagine MLK 2021 -

Old 04-08-2021, 09:05 AM

1,697 posts, read 969,207 times
You have to fix 76 before you redirect ANY traffic to that stretch.

And, as it has been stated many times before, fixing 76 is nearly impossible. Mainly, in my opinion, because of the insane idiots that drive that road.

Old 04-08-2021, 09:59 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,310,407 times
I like how MLK was closed on Sundays Pre Covid. And I think that was smart programming.

Lets be honest though. During the week... Monday - Friday during the day not a lot of people are out on Kelly Drive or MLK drive for recreation purposes. Most are out around 4PM - 7 PM.. sometimes 8PM in the summer months.

The majority of people using Kelly and MLK drive are out on the weekends or the hours of 4PM - 7PM during the week.

MLK drive is 100% used as a reliever road to 76 during the weekdays Pre Covid and congestion on 76 would even be worst than it is if MLK were to close. Many people will take MLK to Bellevue and then cut across Fairmount Park to get to Montgomery Ave and City Ave to access the Lower Mainline suburbs as a 76 alternative route.

Saturday's Pre Covid the city would attract many suburbanites into Center City...so again 76 would usually be back logged.

I say keep the Sunday closure but otherwise I do not see a need to extend that further...

Old 04-08-2021, 09:59 AM

I mean, we have Kelly Drive as an alternative route. The only other exits off of MLK are into West Fairmount or Wynnefield, and Wynnefield is accessible from the Falls Bridge.

As a driver who lives in NW Philly and drives to West Philly somewhat often, I just don't understand favoring high-speed congested traffic running through our amazing parks. I'd rather be inconvenienced and have that space. Us Americans are way too addicted to our vehicles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia