Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 09:46 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,882,417 times

Advertisements

Read n learn

http://www.cherryhill-nj.com/Documen.../Home/View/499

Cherry Hill, New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 11:20 AM

9,340 posts, read 13,010,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Ok I stand corrected. Have you ever traveled off the beaten path with a car (not a bus)and seen some of the gorgeous homes, country clubs and farms? Are these homes 'souless', whatever that is? The Kabitz room is very cool

Cherry Hill NJ Homes | Real Estate Listings - Cherry Hill NJ Real Estate - Article
Once upon a time, I dated a nice Jewish girl from Voorhees (just over Evesham Road) whose family belonged to Woodcrest Country Club--excellent, surprisingly hilly little course (I joke that the drop between the 10th and 11th holes is the steepest hill in Camden County, which is surprisingly not all that far from the truth). Suffice to say, we were over in Cherry Hill all the time. They had friends and family all over the Township's Eastern half, and everyone lived in some McMansion-y development or another, save for a couple really rich folks who had custom homes in an area they called the Voken Tract. I've driven by Springdale Farm a number of times, which does make for a nice breakup in the otherwise seemingly unending chain of sprawl.

These days, I still drive over to Cherry Hill, so I see more than just the shopping centers and big box stores. There's an interesting little cluster of Victorian-era homes toward the mall, and there is some nice custom construction here and there (in the aforementioned Voken Tract, as well as parts of the planned communities, where someone probably tore the existing house down and built up something different). I understand that the Township serves a very valuable purpose, and I'm not faulting people looking to get the most out of their money while still getting to enjoy a middle to upper middle class lifestyle, but the prefab feel of the place turns me off as a whole. That's just me personally. I understand you and many others feel different. That's why I still often recommend it to prospective movers.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:12 PM

Very nice. I stand MORE corrected. I played at Woodcrest 2 years ago and loved it.. Its closed now

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/201...oors-for-good/

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Once upon a time, I dated a nice Jewish girl from Voorhees (just over Evesham Road) whose family belonged to Woodcrest Country Club--excellent, surprisingly hilly little course (I joke that the drop between the 10th and 11th holes is the steepest hill in Camden County, which is surprisingly not all that far from the truth). Suffice to say, we were over in Cherry Hill all the time. They had friends and family all over the Township's Eastern half, and everyone lived in some McMansion-y development or another, save for a couple really rich folks who had custom homes in an area they called the Voken Tract. I've driven by Springdale Farm a number of times, which does make for a nice breakup in the otherwise seemingly unending chain of sprawl.

These days, I still drive over to Cherry Hill, so I see more than just the shopping centers and big box stores. There's an interesting little cluster of Victorian-era homes toward the mall, and there is some nice custom construction here and there (in the aforementioned Voken Tract, as well as parts of the planned communities, where someone probably tore the existing house down and built up something different). I understand that the Township serves a very valuable purpose, and I'm not faulting people looking to get the most out of their money while still getting to enjoy a middle to upper middle class lifestyle, but the prefab feel of the place turns me off as a whole. That's just me personally. I understand you and many others feel different. That's why I still often recommend it to prospective movers.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:19 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,010,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Very nice. I stand MORE corrected. I played at Woodcrest 2 years ago and loved it.. Its closed now
Gosh, you're right!

I got to play there a couple times last summer (my club has, well, more like had, reciprocity) and I knew they were hanging on by a thread, but it's still a shocker to see they've finally shut their doors--just a few days ago, in fact. It's an amazing design and a gorgeous green space, at that. I hope the Township (or some other interested party) buys it up and converts it into a public course. It worked for Pennsauken (Pennsauken CC is the formerly private Iron Rock).

Old 03-18-2013, 01:02 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,781,978 times
I think the large stock of '60's and '70's era tract houses is one of Cherry Hill's best features. That was the golden age of American house building IMO

Old 03-18-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Gosh, you're right!

I got to play there a couple times last summer (my club has, well, more like had, reciprocity) and I knew they were hanging on by a thread, but it's still a shocker to see they've finally shut their doors--just a few days ago, in fact. It's an amazing design and a gorgeous green space, at that. I hope the Township (or some other interested party) buys it up and converts it into a public course. It worked for Pennsauken (Pennsauken CC is the formerly private Iron Rock).
Yup. It was an outing and the food was spectacular too. Shame that today even a golf course can't stay afloat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia