Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2021, 08:22 PM

3 posts, read 4,298 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering a move to Philly. We're coming from Mississippi and seeking to move to a large Northeastern metropolis with a liberal-minded population. I would be working in Center City near the 11th St train, while my wife is working in the suburb of Wayne. We would both prefer to live in a suburban area rather than in the city itself. Quiet is important to us!
We're looking to buy a house with a budget of $374k. Single family home, post-war build, sizeable backyard.

Recently we adopted two 11-year-old twins, one of whom is trans and was kicked out of her home, the other leaving to be with her. Both of us love kids but my wife is infertile. We are looking to make a move so they will be raised in a good environment. We want reasonable quality public schools!

A comfortable and quiet community is a must. Somewhere with lots of families, a fairly liberal population, and a decent commute to both of our workplaces. We do not want to live in Philadelphia county, only suburban ones! Regional rail into Jefferson Station would be a serious plus as well. Lastly my wife is Black so we want somewhere that is reasonably diverse.

Thank you!!!
-If you've spent any time in Baltimore check out our post about possibly moving there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2021, 08:20 AM

1,525 posts, read 1,184,535 times
In the other thread, you say that you and your wife will be working in Towson and Columbia (Maryland), respectively. Is this a joke?

Old 01-20-2021, 01:21 PM

1,397 posts, read 915,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gray_fox View Post
My wife and I are considering a move to Philly. We're coming from Mississippi and seeking to move to a large Northeastern metropolis with a liberal-minded population. I would be working in Center City near the 11th St train, while my wife is working in the suburb of Wayne. We would both prefer to live in a suburban area rather than in the city itself. Quiet is important to us!
We're looking to buy a house with a budget of $374k. Single family home, post-war build, sizeable backyard.

Recently we adopted two 11-year-old twins, one of whom is trans and was kicked out of her home, the other leaving to be with her. Both of us love kids but my wife is infertile. We are looking to make a move so they will be raised in a good environment. We want reasonable quality public schools!

A comfortable and quiet community is a must. Somewhere with lots of families, a fairly liberal population, and a decent commute to both of our workplaces. We do not want to live in Philadelphia county, only suburban ones! Regional rail into Jefferson Station would be a serious plus as well. Lastly my wife is Black so we want somewhere that is reasonably diverse.

Thank you!!!
-If you've spent any time in Baltimore check out our post about possibly moving there!
Your budget and house requirements are going to push you a ways away from center city. Your best bet is probably the far out main line like Downingtown/Thorndale. That's at least on a train line to center city for you. Closer in to Wayne is going to be way over budget. Downingtown is overwhelmingly white, but Philly suburbs are only getting more liberal over time so I doubt you're going to run across any sort of racism. Downingtown school district is excellent.

Old 01-20-2021, 01:34 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gray_fox View Post

Thank you!!!

Your budget may be a bit tight for an affordable midpoint between Center City and Wayne that is also liberal. There are few truly liberal towns in the Philly suburbs although many could be considered center-right...which may well be center-left by Mississippi standards.

Havertown might work for convenience and an environment with other younger families. I don't know if would classify it as a near-liberal suburb.

Plymouth Meeting is another option. Budget might be an issue.

Jenkintown is one of the more liberal suburbs and you'd be near a nexus of Regional Rail lines at the nearby station. It would be a long commute for your wife to Wayne. What is available in your budget might be limited.

It may come down to deciding who is willing to endure the longer commute. If you're willing to pick a place that is on a train line, maybe that can be you as at least you'd be spared the stress of negotiating traffic.

Old 01-20-2021, 04:39 PM

1,465 posts, read 623,005 times
Good God!

Old 01-20-2021, 11:28 PM

3 posts, read 4,298 times
Default Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
In the other thread, you say that you and your wife will be working in Towson and Columbia (Maryland), respectively. Is this a joke?
So you've never looked at multiple jobs before? People do that all the time. My wife and I are living in Mississippi and considering moving to Philly or Baltimore for work.

Old 01-21-2021, 10:37 AM

403 posts, read 296,420 times
Your best bet would be Havertown. There are houses in your budget with reasonable commutes to both Wayne and Center City.

The housing stock is a bit older, but of good quality and the schools are good.

I would not consider Havertown to be very liberal.

It is definitely Democratic though (more centrist), by Mississippi standards though, it is probably considered liberal left.

Swarthmore would also be a good option. There is less housing stock in your price range. It is very liberal minded, and a reasonable commute to both Wayne and Center City.

Old 01-24-2021, 11:07 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,316,080 times
I would suggest looking in Havertown and then Swarthmore. Both will give you reasonable commutes, and are in solid school districts.

In Havertown you can purchase a 1960s/70s single family home.

In Swarthmore you can get a large twin home on a nice leafy lot.

Both are in solid school districts with reasonable transit access and both are relatively in the middle of both Wayne and Center City.

Old 01-24-2021, 01:32 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
I would suggest looking in Havertown and then Swarthmore. Both will give you reasonable commutes, and are in solid school districts.

In Havertown you can purchase a 1960s/70s single family home.

In Swarthmore you can get a large twin home on a nice leafy lot.

Both are in solid school districts with reasonable transit access and both are relatively in the middle of both Wayne and Center City.
I wasn't sure Swarthmore would be in their range but then I didn't really look at comps to know.

Old 01-26-2021, 09:24 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,010,796 times
If you’re looking at Swarthmore, make sure it’s in the Borough proper/zoned to Wallingford-Swarthmore School District and not in Ridley Township (also known as Swarthmorewood). Ridley is pretty far from liberal, and the schools aren’t great. I can’t imagine that they’d provide a good environment for a transgender student either.

A small part of the 19081 zip code is also in Springfield Township, which sort of splits the difference between Ridley and Swarthmore on public school quality and political ideology, though I wouldn’t recommend Springfield, Delco either.

Havertown/Haverford Township could work. You’re more likely to find something in-budget compared to Swarthmore, although $375k won’t get you a ton of house or yard there these days.

You could find something in Middletown Township, which feeds into the very well-regarded Rose Tree Media School District. The Borough of Media (part of the same school district) is a gem, but I think it’s out of your price range, unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia