Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2021, 03:32 PM

1,465 posts, read 622,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridge12 View Post
Uh what? Chinatown has karaoke, one of the best bars in the city, and a very popular comedy club. It's a huge nightlife hotspot.
Uh, yeah ... we're talking about food.

What's the name of the bar?

Last edited by Hedonism; 05-10-2021 at 03:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2021, 07:02 PM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedonism View Post
Uh, yeah ... we're talking about food.

What's the name of the bar?
I know you asked bridge12 that question, but the answer is Hop Sing Laundromat, in the 1000 block of Race Street.

It's a speakeasy-style bar: There's no sign over the door, and there are some very strict rules of behavior for patrons. Getting bounced from the place means you'll never get back in.

And getting in has been one of the hottest tickets in town for a while now. Some people who try never do. (I've never been inside it. But I've read a lot about it.)

Old 05-11-2021, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I know you asked bridge12 that question, but the answer is Hop Sing Laundromat, in the 1000 block of Race Street.

It's a speakeasy-style bar: There's no sign over the door, and there are some very strict rules of behavior for patrons. Getting bounced from the place means you'll never get back in.

And getting in has been one of the hottest tickets in town for a while now. Some people who try never do. (I've never been inside it. But I've read a lot about it.)
Really? First time hearing about that.

I prefer Bar-Ly.

Old 05-21-2021, 09:54 PM

453 posts, read 301,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Some years back, I saw an ancient sign in a West Philadelphia el station that referenced "Ferries / P.R.R. Station / Center of City."

So I used a non-standard term once in a post that used the term actually used in every other instance. Sue me.

(And while you're at it, you might want to take issue with PennDOT's use of "Central Philadelphia" on highway guide signs.)

NOPE.

That's not what you said. You said "the city center" wtf.

So? Of course they have that on SIGNS including transit because we also say SOUTH PHILADELPHIA, WEST PHILADELPHIA, NORTH PHILADELPHIA, NORTHEAST PHILADELPHIA.

Everyone knows that.

And we don't say "Center City" often either we say DOWNTOWN.

And we say "down the shore". Not "guide sign" verbiage.

Old 05-22-2021, 09:37 AM

55 posts, read 35,991 times
It is helpful for people who post on this board that don't know a particular area, to refer to a city's core as a 'central business district,' 'city center,' or other similar verbiage that is easily digestible across all geographies.

I think everyone on this thread is well aware of the local phrases and language specific to Philly.

Old 05-22-2021, 12:07 PM

2,235 posts, read 1,119,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huitrecouture View Post
NOPE.

That's not what you said. You said "the city center" wtf.

So? Of course they have that on SIGNS including transit because we also say SOUTH PHILADELPHIA, WEST PHILADELPHIA, NORTH PHILADELPHIA, NORTHEAST PHILADELPHIA.

Everyone knows that.

And we don't say "Center City" often either we say DOWNTOWN.

And we say "down the shore". Not "guide sign" verbiage.

Who is "we"? Perhaps the people in your social circle do but not in mine. We typically say 'going to wildwood' or "the beach". Center city and downtown are interchangeable, I could use both terms in the same paragraph
without even realizing it. It really depends on age and demographic. Not everyone uses 'down the shore" jimmies, spigot, crick, or the infamous 'youse (guys)'.

All that being said, I fail to see how any of this relates to OP's question if "[they] should move to Philly".

Old 05-22-2021, 06:58 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,125,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
[/b]

Who is "we"? Perhaps the people in your social circle do but not in mine. We typically say 'going to wildwood' or "the beach". Center city and downtown are interchangeable, I could use both terms in the same paragraph
without even realizing it. It really depends on age and demographic. Not everyone uses 'down the shore" jimmies, spigot, crick, or the infamous 'youse (guys)'.

All that being said, I fail to see how any of this relates to OP's question if "[they] should move to Philly".

Id zerdainly adds logal golor, whidge, ad de end of the day, is whad gounds, maybe.

Old 05-22-2021, 07:52 PM

453 posts, read 301,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
[/b]

Good old City Data can't have a decent conversation without personal attacks/insults.

"OH we disagree on something so you must be some ignorant rube who says 'youse'."

Youse" originated in Ireland among speakers switching from Gaelic to English. Gaelic has a second-person plural, sibh, and the Irish thought their newly acquired language ought to have one, too. So they conceived the neat solution of adding an "s" to "you" to make it plural. Irish immigrants brought "youse" to the United States, and it was once widely used in cities where they settled. (It's still widely used in Ireland.) The word can now be heard mainly among older people in ethnic neighborhoods of New York, Philadelphia, Boston, Buffalo, Cincinnati, Chicago and St. Louis, as well as in the mining communities of Michigan's Upper Peninsula. (The Southwest Sider who asked my friend and me if we were lost was definitely Irish, because after asking if we were lost, he offered us a beer and invited us to join him to watch the mourners arriving at a wake across the street.) In Pittsburgh, the word is "yinz," a contraction of the Scots-Irish "you uns."

Old 05-23-2021, 08:01 AM

Wildwood? Pfffft ... that's for the lesser-than.

We go to the Crest.

Old 05-23-2021, 10:17 AM

2,235 posts, read 1,119,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huitrecouture View Post
Good old City Data can't have a decent conversation without personal attacks/insults.

"OH we disagree on something so you must be some ignorant rube who says 'youse'."

Youse" originated in Ireland among speakers switching from Gaelic to English. Gaelic has a second-person plural, sibh, and the Irish thought their newly acquired language ought to have one, too. So they conceived the neat solution of adding an "s" to "you" to make it plural. Irish immigrants brought "youse" to the United States, and it was once widely used in cities where they settled. (It's still widely used in Ireland.) The word can now be heard mainly among older people in ethnic neighborhoods of New York, Philadelphia, Boston, Buffalo, Cincinnati, Chicago and St. Louis, as well as in the mining communities of Michigan's Upper Peninsula. (The Southwest Sider who asked my friend and me if we were lost was definitely Irish, because after asking if we were lost, he offered us a beer and invited us to join him to watch the mourners arriving at a wake across the street.) In Pittsburgh, the word is "yinz," a contraction of the Scots-Irish "you uns."
If that's what you infer, then sure.

You were the one who started derailing the topic by rambling on about slang ,colloquialisms, and now, terminology- not me. And it's odd how a Floridian is generalizing how the everyday Philadelphian talks and speaks.

The point is, not everyone talks the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia