Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2021, 11:14 AM

3 posts, read 2,636 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
my wife and I are thinking of moving out of Los Angeles (along with my parents in-law) and close-in to Philadelphia came up in conversation with some friends as a part of the country with a lot of appeal.
They don't have specifics to guide us to what neighborhoods to look at, however.

Our background is that we're both pushing 60 and are looking for somewhere where we can find a comfortable home on a little acerage (2 - 10) but also within driving distance of an interesting metro area.
We love Los Angeles but there is simply no way we can find that place around here. Most anyplace in California is now at risk of wildfires unfortunatley, or out in the desert (can be beautiful) it's off the charts hot.

I do a lot of woodworking and my dream is to find someplace with a barn or a similar outbuilding that I can turn into a shop. I think this rules out very up-market places because while I would make every effort to be quiet I just don't want to inconvenience neighbors to the point that we are resented. Or that is so up-market that we can't afford it and where we don't fit in. We don't play golf, and we're not country club types at all.

We're both fairly community minded, we like to support local businesses and we're the sort of people who believe in joining in local environmental efforts.

I hope that tells you what I asking about, but if not just let me know and I'll try to be clearer.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2021, 03:01 PM

840 posts, read 694,103 times
I would consider Lancaster County, or far southern Chester County. More rural (more bang for your buck) and like minding crafty folks out in Lancaster County (heavily Amish).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisBeautifulWorld View Post
Hello everyone,
my wife and I are thinking of moving out of Los Angeles (along with my parents in-law) and close-in to Philadelphia came up in conversation with some friends as a part of the country with a lot of appeal.
They don't have specifics to guide us to what neighborhoods to look at, however.

Our background is that we're both pushing 60 and are looking for somewhere where we can find a comfortable home on a little acerage (2 - 10) but also within driving distance of an interesting metro area.
We love Los Angeles but there is simply no way we can find that place around here. Most anyplace in California is now at risk of wildfires unfortunatley, or out in the desert (can be beautiful) it's off the charts hot.

I do a lot of woodworking and my dream is to find someplace with a barn or a similar outbuilding that I can turn into a shop. I think this rules out very up-market places because while I would make every effort to be quiet I just don't want to inconvenience neighbors to the point that we are resented. Or that is so up-market that we can't afford it and where we don't fit in. We don't play golf, and we're not country club types at all.

We're both fairly community minded, we like to support local businesses and we're the sort of people who believe in joining in local environmental efforts.

I hope that tells you what I asking about, but if not just let me know and I'll try to be clearer.

Thanks!

Old 08-01-2021, 10:50 PM

3 posts, read 2,636 times
Thanks Ipranger, I had a look at some places online over near Lancaster city, and they look great. Appreciate it.

Are there any smaller towns out there that are regarded as being attractive places to live near?
The Lancaster metro area has a population of about 500K, so there should be plenty of amenities around there no doubt, but if we're looking for a smaller town are there some you can name?

Thanks.

Old 08-01-2021, 11:34 PM

1,170 posts, read 592,234 times
Lancaster, Berks, Lehigh, Northampton Counties are littered with places you seem to be looking for. Go farther out and you get further from what I think you are looking for. Price matters though, and that hasn't be mentioned so far.

Old 08-02-2021, 07:28 AM

840 posts, read 694,103 times
I would maybe look around "Gap" or Downingtown. any of the towns between Philly and Lancaster along highway 30 are fairly rural

Old 08-02-2021, 01:02 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,601,386 times
Quote:
Thanks Ipranger, I had a look at some places online over near Lancaster city, and they look great. Appreciate it.

Are there any smaller towns out there that are regarded as being attractive places to live near?
The Lancaster metro area has a population of about 500K, so there should be plenty of amenities around there no doubt, but if we're looking for a smaller town are there some you can name?

Thanks.
LanCo communities like Lititz, Ephrata and Manheim are pretty well-regarded and offer a lot for their size, to say nothing of Lancaster City, which itself has a lot to offer for a place of 60K residents.

Good luck!

Old 08-02-2021, 01:14 PM

1,213 posts, read 956,169 times
Look in south jersey - around Clarksboro, Mullica Hill, Mickleton...

Old 08-02-2021, 02:38 PM

1,397 posts, read 915,560 times
Quote:

Thanks.
Ephrata, Lititz, Gap, Honey Brook, just to name a few.

Old 08-02-2021, 05:49 PM

5,301 posts, read 6,183,576 times
There is a big demand for small farms in central PA, called farmettes. This area is where you'll get "the biggest bang for the buck." Bellow is a link to the Remax listing site for farms in central PA. Note that all properties are sold except one new listing near Bellefonte, PA. It's listed for $1.5 million.

Farms and Farmettes for sale in Central PA

Below are farm listings in Lancaster County.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-farms-ranches

Old 08-03-2021, 03:30 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
I would just add that you mentioned that you were thinking of being "close-in" to Phila.
That could be relative.
Just how close, or how far away, I guess are you talking about?
I don't think of Lancaster County as being "close-in" to Philly. An hour away is not "close," but that's just me.

All the places mentioned meet your other criteria. I was just thinking that more detail on that one point might clarify that for those trying to help.

Also, if being close to Lancaster suits what you're looking for, then being closer to Lancaster than Philly isn't a deal breaker because, you may hardly ever come to Philly. And if you do you could just stay overnight somewhere if you wanted to really stay for a weekend.

Also, except for places that really ONLY are in Phila, you wouldn't have to go all the way to Philly to get your academic/big city cultural institutions boost.....there's Lancaster itself, of course. AND, West Chester is closer to Lancaster County and only 45 minutes away, instead of the more than an hour it would take to get to Phila.

I think Chester and Lancaster County are great suggestions. Just asking for clarification on proximities, that's all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia