Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2022, 04:29 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,601,386 times

Advertisements

I have literally no desire to go to Miami, so I guess the feeling is mutual.

Florida, for all intents and purposes, is the poor man's California or Hawaii. It's also become a yucky cesspool of Trumpers.

Hard pass for me.

Last edited by Duderino; 03-15-2022 at 04:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2022, 04:31 PM

1,170 posts, read 591,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkins View Post
As a native from my State, i grew up in Miami. I know bad crime areas.

While Miami has a lot of crime, Philadelphia has a bad reputation and no glitter. Miami is known as a Glitz Town, but Philly is known for Cheese-steak.

AND YES, Philly gets lots of bad press...even as far as down here~

https://floridaman.com/birthday-challenge/

Good thing no one associates Miami, and Florida at large, with the thing your coworkers cannot handle.

Old 03-15-2022, 06:15 PM

1,904 posts, read 1,045,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I have literally no desire to go to Miami, so I guess the feeling is mutual.

Florida, for all intents and purposes, is the poor man's California or Hawaii. It's also become a yucky cesspool of Trumpers.

Hard pass for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweb66 View Post
https://floridaman.com/birthday-challenge/

Good thing no one associates Miami, and Florida at large, with the thing your coworkers cannot handle.
Poor man's California... Hawaii... Bahahaha!
Been there done that.

California...you're joking (you know little about Ca.) Its the Fastest Exodus state in the Union. Even the Rich and Famous are leaving (by the droves).

Hawaii (after 2 mths you're bored to death).

I can't figure out WHY anyone would live in the Freezing cold with Dregs in Philly~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfQQ...=DaGameSpitter

Old 03-16-2022, 07:49 AM

1,697 posts, read 972,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweb66 View Post
If I had a dollar for every time someone on this forum thought it meant you cannot get tickets for the above listed...I could retire. I hope all these people park their car with expired registration and inspection right in front of city hall, and keep it there. We will end up with fully funded city pensions.
I was making a joke about the new traffic violation policy for the Philly cops.

Old 03-16-2022, 08:47 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,254,101 times
sums it up pretty nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrychen View Post
Because of Democratic, progressive/liberal, race-pandering policies. But the ignorant, stubborn and uneducated of Philadelphia will keep voting the same.

Old 03-16-2022, 08:52 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
sums it up pretty nicely.
To summarize my own earlier response to that quote: Republican rhetoric locally and beyond - especially from 2017-2021 - will only make it hard(er) for the party to be taken seriously in a majority-minority city.

Old 03-16-2022, 08:56 AM

7,737 posts, read 5,518,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingZen View Post
To summarize my own earlier response to that quote: Republican rhetoric locally and beyond - especially from 2017-2021 - will only make it hard(er) for the party to be taken seriously in a majority-minority city.
Exactly, they just don't get it.

I'm not saying the Democrats don't have the same problem, but it's less extreme. Pew published a report on this very subject:
The polarization in today’s Congress has roots that go back decades

The only other thing I will add: Going online to various social media outlets every single day and screaming about crime and how the sky is falling is only going to increase crime and the speed of the decline and will turn away people from reinvesting in the neighborhoods.

We need to start a new movement called 'Make Northeast Philly cool again'.

Old 03-16-2022, 09:21 AM

14,180 posts, read 9,075,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Exactly, they just don't get it.

I'm not saying the Democrats don't have the same problem, but it's less extreme. Pew published a report on this very subject:
The polarization in today’s Congress has roots that go back decades

The only other thing I will add: Going online to various social media outlets every single day and screaming about crime and how the sky is falling is only going to increase crime and the speed of the decline and will turn away people from reinvesting in the neighborhoods.

We need to start a new movement called 'Make Northeast Philly cool again'.
That Pew Research study dovetails with my statements over the years to the effect that the GOP has made a "Bargain with the Unreconstructed."

It also suggests that the apocryphal story that has LBJ telling his aide Bill Moyers as he signed the 1964 Civil Rights Act that he had "just lost the South for the Democratic Party" has a huge grain of truth to it.

And that rightward Southward drift is also one reason why there aren't more Black conservatives. Many of my generation recall that the "conservative movement" was firmly on the wrong side of the central question of the latter half of the 20th century, and even though movement founder Bill Buckley later apologized for his grave error and non-racist conservatives have taken their place in the political arena, many of us still believe that much of the Right is acting in bad faith on civil rights and Black equality. (On culture-war issues, many Blacks are actually quite conservative themselves. I've once described the typical African-American family's response when a child comes out as lesbian or gay as "Well, we really wish you hadn't, but we love you anyway.")

Was the Northeast ever really cool?

Old 03-16-2022, 09:23 AM

14,180 posts, read 9,075,142 times
Fresh evidence that lots of Philadelphians have decided that they need to take matters into their own hands:

License-to-Carry Applications Have Skyrocketed in Philadelphia — Even More Than You'd Think | Philadelphia Magazine

Old 03-16-2022, 09:48 AM

7,737 posts, read 5,518,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Was the Northeast ever really cool?

Lol, Idk. But that's besides the point. It's marketing. Perception is reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia