Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2008, 07:31 PM

11 posts, read 34,987 times

Advertisements

The school system is broken and no ones doing anything about it. Lets face it our current system is over 100 years old and was to teach factory workers . Sit down and be quite. Our kids are a alot smarter today and being borded to violence and the school systems keep doing the same thing expecting different results.
That is why I decided to take my 9 year old child and homeschool him but today they offer cyber school. No religious affiliations, child works at his or her own speed and level. It allows children to do more of what there interested in rather then what the teachers tell them to be interested in.

I'm starting my child this year, stay tuned, let you know our progress.
Oh for those who are worried about social interaction, we are joining the local 4H club. Horseback riding, archery, livestock, and foster parenting puppies for the blind. He'll have lots of social interaction but in a supervised enviroment.

Last edited by moerevlu; 05-21-2008 at 07:39 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 11:29 PM

34 posts, read 271,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moerevlu View Post
The school system is broken and no ones doing anything about it. Lets face it our current system is over 100 years old and was to teach factory workers . Sit down and be quite. Our kids are a alot smarter today and being borded to violence and the school systems keep doing the same thing expecting different results.
That is why I decided to take my 9 year old child and homeschool him but today they offer cyber school. No religious affiliations, child works at his or her own speed and level. It allows children to do more of what there interested in rather then what the teachers tell them to be interested in.

I'm starting my child this year, stay tuned, let you know our progress.
Oh for those who are worried about social interaction, we are joining the local 4H club. Horseback riding, archery, livestock, and foster parenting puppies for the blind. He'll have lots of social interaction but in a supervised enviroment.
Sweet...I've been thinking of doing it myself. We have a 9 and 7. My only fear is that I'd go from being Dad and taking on a different role in their eyes which might not be what I want. Our relationship is fantastic right now, don't want to mess with it. But hey, who knows with the way schools are going. Can you provide more details on the program you are going to go with, I'm interested.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:41 AM

Arrow Cyber School Kids

Oh don't worry about your position, that always remain. I also have a 26yr old daughter who went through 12 yrs of traditional school, always a average C student. When she got to college she bloomed because she selected what she was interested in. By the way she graduated college with high honors. I wanted a bumper sticker made "My Kid is an Honor Student" HA HA!! you know, like they give you in elementary schools.
Anyway, my son is not doing well in a classroom setting. He's not ADD or has any other mental illness, he's much more creative for that setting.
But the good news is that all you have to do is monitor them, as a parent. You'll recieve a desktop computer, monitor, printer and a check sent quarterly for the cost of the internet connection. The lessons are on line, and there custom fitted for your childs abilities. They take an placement test to see where there at so they can custom make a lesson plan for them.
The best news they can work at the own pace. They do need to complete 4 of the 6 lessons daily. The other two are art and music which they do once a week.
Don't worry Dad, you won't compromise your role in fact its a chance to strenght it. After all I think doing it as a family only strenghts the family ties.
Need more info? My son and I are very excited to try this new way. So he can focus on the things he really wants to do. He shows a very strong interest in art(painting on canvas) he's showing great potiental , he's just 9 and has a very creative mind.
Don't worry be Happy , you and your family can be on the cutting edge of something that can change the way children learn. Keep you posted Moe.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:10 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
This conversation should probably take place on the education section of this site:

Education Forum - Relocation, Moving, Local City Discussions - City-Data Forum There are several people there who are unhappy with the school system and homeschool.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:54 AM

Thanks for your info I'm new at this didn't know there was an education forum will check it out. I hope you have a better day, you sound a little hostel.
Cheers!!!

Old 05-22-2008, 01:25 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
It's hostile. I did stay at a hostel a month ago though, and it was kind of fun, not a bit hostile.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:39 PM

Your so cute!!!!! I'm staying in a hostel in Washington DC next month. Taking my son to the Smithsonian Institute. I'll let you know what I think. The only other hostel I stayed in was in the Andes of Peru. I felt like Heidi it was wonderful.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:46 PM

Hey its Moe, I'm from the US but like yourself travel all around the world, except for China and Austraila a little shy about that long plane ride.
I am first generation in our family, the folks are from Ireland, I don't hold anything against your wife for being English!!HA ha she'll get.
You really should get your kids involved in the 4H my office is the local office for it. They have wonderful things for kids to do.
Yes perhaps one day we could get the kids together for some video game marathons.
My son loves GB I perfer XBOX. GB too little , my eyes are going dull, aging it has its advantages but eyesight isn't one of them.
Moe

Old 05-22-2008, 09:14 PM

34 posts, read 271,481 times
Hey,
Cool....u didn't sound normal.. if you know what i mean in a good way...yeah.. we haven't visited everywhere..still many places we want to see..
oh, i know the irish/english thing..i lived in england..i've many friends from ireland while living in nyc..my wife of course has irish blood like many english who don't want to admit it..haha
we did some 4H out here, and would love to do it in philly..give me the info that would be so cool. Yeah..my son is xbox, wii, ps2, ds, anything electronic.. but only for like 15 minutes, then he wants to run around outside.. anyway.. check your direct messages..i tried sending a message there.. you can reply direct to me without the moderator getting angry for using bandwidth with this thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: