Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2022, 08:04 AM

1,697 posts, read 970,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
Oh wow, you guys really say "Cle"? That's about as bad of "cuke" for cucumber. I'm going to stop complaining about people using "Philly".
I only use that because it's how they abbreviate "Cleveland" when they list a sports score. I've never said the word "cle" out loud, nor would I. But that's just me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2022, 11:47 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,559,434 times
I have a garage but we also so street parking, as previously mentioned I purchased a residential sticker thar let's me park in my neighborhood. I'm retired so usually finding a spot with 2-3 blocks is pretty easy.

There are a few and I mean very few blocks where there is no time restrictions but it's pure luck to find

Old 06-21-2022, 04:47 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,400,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
If you are going to keep your car, make sure you are a good parallel parker, get a bumper bully for your rear bumper, and accept the fact that your car is going to get dinged and scratched from street parking. It is what it is if you aren't willing to pay for a garage.
Yassss, finally someone mentions parallel parking. Every time I'm back home in Philly and on one of those narrow side streets, I am amazed at how all the cars are lined up perfectly, with only a few inches in between. Yikes, I would never be able to live there.

Old 06-23-2022, 06:14 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,487,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Yassss, finally someone mentions parallel parking. Every time I'm back home in Philly and on one of those narrow side streets, I am amazed at how all the cars are lined up perfectly, with only a few inches in between. Yikes, I would never be able to live there.
It is an art form, and one I perfected over my five years living in South Philly. And it really is crazy how narrow the driving lanes get on one-way streets with cars parked bumper to bumper on both sides along the entire block, block after block.

Old 06-23-2022, 12:41 PM

1,524 posts, read 1,182,385 times
When I was learning to drive way back when, my mom took me to her old hood in South Philly. She had a Dodge Grand Caravan at the time. I was one scared 16-year-old, let me tell you!! I can still parallel park to this day, but those tight spots would probably take me a bit longer to navigate. The bonus of newer cars is those back-up cameras. So very helpful!

Old 06-24-2022, 04:13 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,448,802 times
When you move to Philly, you learn to parallel park fast and efficiently. Wasn't long before parking on Main Street of my hometown began to feel like cake --- the spots there are so spacious compared to what I cram myself into here in Philly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
It is an art form, and one I perfected over my five years living in South Philly. And it really is crazy how narrow the driving lanes get on one-way streets with cars parked bumper to bumper on both sides along the entire block, block after block.
Or, how narrow *two*-way streets get in certain sections of town because of street parking. There are so many two-way streets in Northwest Philly in which street parking limits the width of lanes to fit only 1 vehicle at a time. Therefore, we've got some improvised, local etiquette for when two opposing-bound vehicles are driving on the same block of one of these streets. IMO, many of these streets should just be turned into one-ways.

Old 06-24-2022, 10:38 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Another thing to consider is perhaps not owning a vehicle at all given that large swaths of Philadelphia is built for allowing easy walking and biking (avoid the trolley tracks though!), mass transit within the city and to the general region is leagues ahead of what you'll find in the vast majority of the US, delivery from near and far is quite common, multiple car rental / carshare programs exist for the occasional trip which may work out to be less costly depending on usage than owning a car, and rideshare/taxis are readily available.

Old 06-25-2022, 03:57 PM

4,479 posts, read 6,232,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
Oh wow, you guys really say "Cle"? That's about as bad of "cuke" for cucumber. I'm going to stop complaining about people using "Philly".
All three major Ohio cities have abbreviated goofy nicknames. Cincy, C-bus, and Cle or Cleve.

Old 06-27-2022, 07:45 AM

1,697 posts, read 970,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
All three major Ohio cities have abbreviated goofy nicknames. Cincy, C-bus, and Cle or Cleve.
I mean...I feel like most cities can have goofy abbreviated nicknames.

Old 06-27-2022, 02:27 PM

4,479 posts, read 6,232,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
I mean...I feel like most cities can have goofy abbreviated nicknames.
Yeah, I can get with that. Think you have a good point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia