Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2022, 06:56 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,453,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
I never, ever, park in the median of Broad. It's incredibly dangerous and asking for your car to get hit.

Frankly, after a while, you just become the parking person. When my family or friends drive to Philadelphia, I usually have to go out and meet them on the street and park the car. My parents are senior citizens though, so they like using SEPTA for free.

It's all about routine. After a while, you realize which blocks around you have spots normally, and you just loop around those blocks.
Lol, I have the same exact thing happen when my family and out of town friends visit. They think I am some kind of parking guru because I can fit into small spots quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2022, 07:22 AM

7,740 posts, read 5,523,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
Lol, I have the same exact thing happen when my family and out of town friends visit. They think I am some kind of parking guru because I can fit into small spots quickly.

Reminds me one time when my friend from Phoenix (he actually just bought a house around Doylestown and is moving back) was visiting and we drove back from the airport and parked in South Philly. He goes "you can't fit in there", and I just told him to watch and learn. Lol he literally got out and was amazed I got in without bumping anyone with just an inch on each side. I told him, it's lots of practice.

Old 08-01-2022, 05:44 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,433,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
How annoying one finds it to park not only depends on neighborhood, it often greatly varies block-by-block. I live in Manayunk, where many people complain about parking. Though I think most of the people who complain about parking must come from the 'burbs, because it is nothing like South Philly or Center City parking. Granted, I live on a block where I don't find it bad at all. Other neighborhoods/blocks I've lived in were worse, such as West Philly and East Falls.
I've lived in Bridesburg in northeast where maybe it was just following me but my street was pretty bustling even though it was just another side street. I called it 'disability row' because there were multiple vehicles per house,plus they rarely went anywhere except to the store around the corner. Then there happened to be a 'caterer' down that block,and every weekend the street would be parked up due to the business not having a parking lot. I had been working on getting a petition to cite the place for not having designated parking for it's patrons but a miracle happened and I was able to move out of there eventually.
My mother in law lived in south Philly,where we are now,and it's like the Stepford neighborhood...everyone is home by 6pm and if I get there 1 minute after there's no parking. Like everyone works the exact same hours,no one works any other shift? And New Year's is ground zero here for mummer's day parking,everyone here knows you'd better grab a spot prior to New Year's eve because it's solid until Jan 2...

Old 08-01-2022, 05:52 PM

Quote:
It's all about routine. After a while, you realize which blocks around you have spots normally, and you just loop around those blocks.
Maybe you're there in the middle of the day when it's most likely to be clearer,but there's no normal when it comes to spots. It's a crapshoot,sometimes there's spots sometimes it's packed for blocks.

Old 08-01-2022, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Reminds me one time when my friend from Phoenix (he actually just bought a house around Doylestown and is moving back) was visiting and we drove back from the airport and parked in South Philly. He goes "you can't fit in there", and I just told him to watch and learn. Lol he literally got out and was amazed I got in without bumping anyone with just an inch on each side. I told him, it's lots of practice.
Yeah,and what about the cars that get boxed in by those 'one inchers' and they have to wriggle out of their spot because they were left with no room to get out?...As someone once said to me 'that's why they call them bumpers'...

Old 08-01-2022, 06:35 PM

1,170 posts, read 592,914 times
I see your South Philly and raise you a Manayunk. Try parking on even narrower streets...on a hill!

Old 08-02-2022, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweb66 View Post
I see your South Philly and raise you a Manayunk. Try parking on even narrower streets...on a hill!
The streets aren’t more narrow, but they are on a hill, which does cause it’s own set of challenges for sure!

Old 08-02-2022, 05:19 PM

1,943 posts, read 1,490,892 times
Quote:
I never, ever, park in the median of Broad. It's incredibly dangerous and asking for your car to get hit.
I used to park all the time in the median on South Broad and never had a problem or felt it was unsafe. A weird thing to do? Yeah. "Incredibly dangerous"? No, unless something has drastically changed since when I last lived there.

Old 08-02-2022, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
I used to park all the time in the median on South Broad and never had a problem or felt it was unsafe. A weird thing to do? Yeah. "Incredibly dangerous"? No, unless something has drastically changed since when I last lived there.

I see cars absolutely smashed and just left sitting there at least weekly. It's definitely rolling the dice, especially if you just leave it there for more than a day or two. It's dangerous and very much a good example of the cultural paralysis the city government lives in. Can't ban parking in the middle without curing cancer.

Old 08-03-2022, 05:09 AM

14,191 posts, read 9,089,745 times
Quote:
I see cars absolutely smashed and just left sitting there at least weekly. It's definitely rolling the dice, especially if you just leave it there for more than a day or two. It's dangerous and very much a good example of the cultural paralysis the city government lives in. Can't ban parking in the middle without curing cancer.
No, more like the city winking at a longstanding South Philly custom because it's South Philly. You don't see cars parked in the median on North Broad Street, now, do you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia