Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2022, 02:07 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,436,545 times

Advertisements

General consensus is Philly is known to be a parking hell and is becoming moreso,with the proposal of an arena in center city as well as so many businesses being torn down to put up housing...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2022, 05:26 PM

9,384 posts, read 9,362,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
General consensus is Philly is known to be a parking hell and is becoming moreso,with the proposal of an arena in center city as well as so many businesses being torn down to put up housing...
Do you have examples of the bolded?
And to play devils advocate, a city that doesn't keep up with housing demand (market rate & affordable) becomes San Francisco or Boston, not a good thing.

Old 07-31-2022, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Do you have examples of the bolded?
The new arena,it's all over the news lately...as for the former,have you ever watched the show Parking Wars? That's a start.

Old 07-31-2022, 09:05 PM

14,214 posts, read 9,113,588 times
Quote:
The new arena,it's all over the news lately...as for the former,have you ever watched the show Parking Wars? That's a start.
Wait, that's not "businesses being torn down to put up housing."

Nor is converting a long-since-shuttered factory into residences, something I would say happens far more often than what you say. And many of the businesses that do get torn down, like this one in the 1100 block of South 9th Street, not only have vanished before their buildings do, but then don't get converted into anything, as is the case here. (This was to have become apartments over street-level retail.)

Old 08-01-2022, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Wait, that's not "businesses being torn down to put up housing."

Nor is converting a long-since-shuttered factory into residences, something I would say happens far more often than what you say.
Well I'm in Pennsport and over the past year or so I've seen the movie theater close down as well as the 7-11 on 2nd St and the beer distributor on Washington...mostly in favor of housing so there's that.

Old 08-01-2022, 04:50 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,457,250 times
Quote:
Philly might be known for that, but it still confounds me why some Americans would expect to have an easy time parking in the core of a major urban city, especially as visitors. Philly is in a weird spot where our public transit isn't exactly NYC-level convenient, but it ain't bad. On the other hand, having a car here isn't typically NYC-level inconvenient/expensive, but it can still be annoying.

How annoying one finds it to park not only depends on neighborhood, it often greatly varies block-by-block. I live in Manayunk, where many people complain about parking. Though I think most of the people who complain about parking must come from the 'burbs, because it is nothing like South Philly or Center City parking. Granted, I live on a block where I don't find it bad at all. Other neighborhoods/blocks I've lived in were worse, such as West Philly and East Falls.

And yeah, I am not sure what you're talking about re: businesses being torn down for housing.

Old 08-01-2022, 06:34 AM

7,740 posts, read 5,531,184 times
It’s hard to park in Center City daily if you plan on commuting. I had an incredible strict route to ensure I found a spot when I lived in Fitler Square and commuted daily out of the city. Of course I could have also paid for a parking spot.

South Philly parking is not in the same league. It’s easy and I rarely have to go around a block or two to find a spot. North Philly, even Fishtown and stuff, even easier. I will say parking got easier when I bought a car with a back up camera too.

Old 08-01-2022, 06:42 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,457,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
It’s hard to park in Center City daily if you plan on commuting. I had an incredible strict route to ensure I found a spot when I lived in Fitler Square and commuted daily out of the city. Of course I could have also paid for a parking spot.

South Philly parking is not in the same league. It’s easy and I rarely have to go around a block or two to find a spot. North Philly, even Fishtown and stuff, even easier. I will say parking got easier when I bought a car with a back up camera too.
Yeah, but "easy" is relative. Most suburban, exurban, and rural visitors would not describe parking in South Philly as easy. Even my brother who went to Haverford, but now lives in D.C. is always going on about the parking chaos (double parking, meridian parking) of South Philly. Haha.

Old 08-01-2022, 06:44 AM

9,384 posts, read 9,362,247 times
Quote:
Quote:
Well I'm in Pennsport and over the past year or so I've seen the movie theater close down as well as the 7-11 on 2nd St and the beer distributor on Washington...mostly in favor of housing so there's that.
I didn't bold the parking issues part, just the "so many businesses being torn down to put up housing" part, which is incorrect.

The Sixers Arena is a unique situation, and would replace a chunk of a dinosaur mall, hardly a loss (IMO). The only bummer is if AMC doesn't relocate elsewhere in CC.

The 7-11 and single story strip mall on 2nd Street you mentioned was demolished in exchange for denser housing (better use of site), but the 7-11 will return to the new development as a retail tenant.

Site... https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9360...7i13312!8i6656

Replacement project... https://phillyyimby.com/2022/04/site...ladelphia.html

Beyond a few projects here and there, I cannot find much to support the quote I referenced. A lot of new residential is replacing vacant lots, parking garages, defunct commercial / industrial spaces, and many new denser residential projects include street level retail creating business opportunity and more vibrant corridors.

Example of a South Philly development (replaced a vacant lot) that added a lot of retail to the area (adjacent Sprouts Market not pictured)... https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9379...7i16384!8i8192

And another development across the street will include a full Giant.

Last edited by cpomp; 08-01-2022 at 06:52 AM..

Old 08-01-2022, 06:49 AM

7,740 posts, read 5,531,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
Yeah, but "easy" is relative. Most suburban, exurban, and rural visitors would not describe parking in South Philly as easy. Even my brother who went to Haverford, but now lives in D.C. is always going on about the parking chaos (double parking, meridian parking) of South Philly. Haha.
I never, ever, park in the median of Broad. It's incredibly dangerous and asking for your car to get hit.

Frankly, after a while, you just become the parking person. When my family or friends drive to Philadelphia, I usually have to go out and meet them on the street and park the car. My parents are senior citizens though, so they like using SEPTA for free.

It's all about routine. After a while, you realize which blocks around you have spots normally, and you just loop around those blocks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia