Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2023, 09:43 AM

1,697 posts, read 970,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
There needs to be a book written about how Philadelphia is caught in the middle of intersecting movements of anti-intellectualism.

The National Preservation Society named Chinatown as one of the top 10 most at-risk of demolition in the country because of the arena. It's idiotic considering how much history in Philadelphia is actually just falling over on it's side. Tricks on them, shops are already closed

I mean.. C'mon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2023, 04:59 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,510,947 times
You got to appreciate that our mayor-elect had the balls to hand these out yesterday. Save Market East! Let's get building!

Old 05-17-2023, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
You got to appreciate that our mayor-elect had the balls to hand these out yesterday. Save Market East! Let's get building!

Love it.

I didn't pay that much attention to Parker, thinking that it was a dead heat between Gym and Rhynhart but the more I do, the more I like. Her priorities are mine essentially and she seems like the right person for these times.

She was one of the only ones with the balls to talk about sticky topics (76ers Place, S&F etc) and had the right takes hen she did. As council woman, I condemned her just for that - that political body is collectively, a disgrace. I'm excited about the possibilities.

The cops in town must be totally psyched. They have been put through the ringer and their morale was in the dumpster. From conversations I've had with a few of them over the last few weeks, these guys are exhausted. They hate the spot they've been put in, even though their own ranks are a big part of the problem (with the disability scandal etc). But they feel like the train is totally off the tracks, making the job so much more dangerous and when they catch criminals, the system doesn't follow through. I think that's an exaggerated stance (for all his many faults, they don't let every criminal back out immediately), but that's their perception.

S&F, as it was practiced in the past, was deeply flawed. Maybe a more refined type of that practice can be developed that doesn't screw people over so badly. But I would immediately direct anyone wearing a black pants, a black hoodie and a black mask to be stopped and ask a few questions. It's like the uniform for the teenage gun criminal. lol.

I dunno. Maybe she's just what we need. Certainly better than Gym.

Old 05-17-2023, 09:28 AM

836 posts, read 851,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Here's a huge part of the problem: politicizing literally everything. Not everything has to do with taxes or political leadership, despite certain pundits on certain news channels that like to rile up audiences with this narrative.

The Northeast and Midwest have experienced out-migration for decades to the South and West. In the vast, vast majority of cases, this has to do with seeking a different climate or different life opportunities. Essentially, America has been "spreading out" since its founding, especially from higher population density states like those in the Northeast and Midwest.
True, but the fact of the matter is that right now, the Southern states are gaining in population and the Northeast and Midwest states are either declining or just stagnant. Unless you can provide proof that states like NY, NJ, MA, MI, and IL are growing, the fact of the matter is that growth in those states are bare bones compared to FL, TX, and even states like TN and SC, which are low tax states compared to the Northeast and the Midwest.

Only state that's gaining in the NE is Biden's home state of DE (and it's technically classified as a Southern state for some strange reason), and DE should really be in the NE due to it's connection to Philadelphia and PA.

And you're right about politicizing everything! And if that's the case, then why are these business firms moving to the South? Still waiting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
There's no doubt in my mind that states like Texas and Florida will one day experience overall outmigration (it's actually already happening in cities like Miami, Dallas and Houston). They're benefitting from demographic trends at the moment, but as we all know, nothing goes on ad infinitum.

PA has honestly reached a point of relative equilibrium and economic maturity, and frankly, that's a good thing. It really just needs to focus mostly on continuing to improve the standard-of-living and quality-of-life amongst the population that it does have, and it will be golden.
The only Southern state that's literally stagnant is AL and MS due to low population growth and the only state that's actually lost population is LA due to Hurricane Katrina. I'd love for PA to remain the fifth largest state for a long time, especially since PA surpassed IL for that title, but GA and NC are growing every decade with double digits, and if there was a state that may take it, it would have to be NC due to the multiple cities (Charlotte, Raleigh, Durham, Greensboro, etc.).

Atlanta is basically a sprawled out agglomeration with no solid regional city outside of Atlanta and it's a city that's I don't really see as sustainable in the near future due to Metro Atlanta not having a regional commuter rail system in the same vein as Chicago, NY, Boston, DC, or even Philly, Miami, SF, and LA.

When you plan with the automobile as the primary mode of transportation, outside of Atlanta city limits, you're practically in the same vein as Detroit, and it's going to strain Metro Atlanta's transportation infrastructure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
The typical right wing talking points, but I guarantee you, no one is moving to the south hoping to find better schools or lower crime or better employment (given that salaries are so much worse in the south). Regulations don't mean anything to the average person.

That leaves taxes, and I can make an argument that the northeast and West Coast is way more expensive than the south, and that is the main driver for people who are mobile, to leave the NE. All your other points are just Faux News BS.
Property taxes tend to be much lower in the south, which contributes to the public schools in the south being universally crappy when compared to the NE and West.

Maybe people move from the NE because of the weather?
I can't wait until the 2030's roll up. I'll be older, but I won't be surprised that TN, ID, and UT gains a seat in the House, TX gains 3 more seats in the House, and FL gets the lion's share of added seats while MA, CT, NJ, PA, MD, MO, and maybe MN loses a seat while NY & IL continues to lose 2 seats and the fleecing of CA's precious seats beings to the point where CA won't have the congressional power that it my enjoy in the 2030's that it used to have in the 2000's and the 2010's.

My observation has been that the NE and the Midwest has been losing seats for several decades while the Southern and Western states have been gaining, but FL's growth, if they can keep it up, could place it as possibly the second largest state in the 2030's depending on how TX and CA is growing, and CA is now the poster child for population decline after states like NY in the 1980's, and MI in the 2010's have suffered with that malady.

Old 05-18-2023, 12:32 AM

2,385 posts, read 2,339,384 times
No it won't lol. The Prudential Center and Capital One/Verizon Center didn't kill the downtowns they're in. Harris should force the Flyers to join them. While most will drive(unfortunately), you don't understand how much of a PITA it is to get to South Philly from the burbs or even NW/NE Philly via SEPTA. This arena being so close to Jefferson Station is huge. You still got the Spur and the local BSL not to far away.

Old 05-19-2023, 08:54 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
No it won't lol. The Prudential Center and Capital One/Verizon Center didn't kill the downtowns they're in. Harris should force the Flyers to join them. While most will drive(unfortunately), you don't understand how much of a PITA it is to get to South Philly from the burbs or even NW/NE Philly via SEPTA. This arena being so close to Jefferson Station is huge. You still got the Spur and the local BSL not to far away.
Unfortunately, the Cap One/Verizon arena offers fodder for the anti-arena folks in Chinatown, for it sits right next to DC's, and DC's Chinatown did atrophy in the wake of its opening. I would, however, argue that the urban fabric here is just different enough that the Sixers arena might not have that effect.

The Flyers would never sign on to this project for the same reason the Sixers are pursuing it: They would be tenants in rather than owners of the arena. That describes the Sixers' current arrangements at the Wells Fargo Center.

Old 05-19-2023, 10:09 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,992,041 times
Maybe I'm wrong but with all the major projects going on throughout Center City there seems to be an agenda to turn Center City into the next Manhattan. At the very least this is what the 76ers owner Josh Harris envisions. He wants something similar to the feel and energy of Madison Square Garden in New York City. He sees the potential Center City has and he seized the opportunity.

I think the 76ers relocating to Center City is a great idea. The ripple effect will be mostly positive. More jobs and businesses will be created. It will put more pressure on SEPTA and PATCO to improve their service in Center City. The upside potential this move will bring cannot be ignored.

Old 05-19-2023, 10:27 AM

We already are the next Manhattan.

Old 05-19-2023, 10:39 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,992,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
We already are the next Manhattan.
Right now if you would ask most people which US city has the 2nd best downtown after Manhattan, most would say it's a toss up between Center City and downtown Chicago. I think Philly has more potential to separate itself from the competition and be the undisputed stand-alone #2 downtown in the country.

Old 05-19-2023, 10:43 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,161,808 times
To be clear: on a good day, I can walk to the Fashion District/Gallery. So as a fan of the Sixers and the likelihood that concerts and events may choose to come to a new state-of-the art facility, it would be in my best interests to support that location. However, I continue to agree with MSE and others that it would be a death knell for Chinatown. Even if the business purveyors don't all live in the neighborhood, many Asian-Americans still do. Walking through there the other day reminded me of how important a hub it is for the AA community. I still support the idea of building it across the street anywhere along the southside of the 800-1100 blocks of Market Street, save the US Court House, of course
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia