Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2023, 06:14 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times

Advertisements

And to say black people go to chain restaurants because they're cheap -- when everyone does that makes the topic about race with race has nothing to do with it.

Black people shop at Walmart because it's cheaper too. But to say blacks shop at Walmart because it's cheaper -- when all Walmart shoppers shop there because it's cheaper is IMO an ignorant thing to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2023, 09:14 PM

2,045 posts, read 782,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
And to say black people go to chain restaurants because they're cheap -- when everyone does that makes the topic about race with race has nothing to do with it.

Black people shop at Walmart because it's cheaper too. But to say blacks shop at Walmart because it's cheaper -- when all Walmart shoppers shop there because it's cheaper is IMO an ignorant thing to say.
Seriously, it'll be OK. People are different, that's what makes the world interesting.

Old 06-21-2023, 11:47 PM

221 posts, read 114,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit12 View Post
I don't believe for a second that black people are 'uncomfortable in an upscale crowd.' They like chains because they're cheaper.
It's not even an indictment on white people. JFC ppl wan't me to be something that I'm not; stop projecting that stuff on to me. All I said was black people prefer to go to chains than say Talulas Garden or Vetri or Zahav; yes because its cheaper, and more familiar but that's true of everyone like you said. But there is also an element of feeling out of place in such a place, getting the stares and all of that...black ppl do have anxiety; the idea you have to "perform" or be on your tippy toes in an upscale place.....maybe they just don't know the places exists, idk....i'm just going on observation....the places that black people frequented, mostly chains...are gone. I drew no conclusions, made no accusations....just stated a fact. And I didnt even mention most of the fast food joints (Wendys, McDs, BK), and now most of the WaWas too. I get it, that's another topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit12 View Post
All the white people would be in the bars and restaurants spending money while the black people where getting their drink on in their 'hood then coming to South Street to mill about.

Nothing wrong with a cruise spot, its not a requirement to spend money everytime you leave the house. LOL. FTR, we frequented Copas, Tavern 222 (or whatever its called) and of course Fat Tuesdays....but many a time I wen't down there with "something" in my cup; its nothing. lol .

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
But even that is a generalized statement… Too sweeping and generalized. Lots of people go to chain restaurants because they’re cheaper. It’s not about race…. which is why it continues to be a shame when people bring race into a subject or topic that has nothing to do with it.

I know that you didn’t do that, Hermit. You were just responding to a comment that had already gone in that direction. But the way your general statement was phrased perpetuated an irrelevant issue.
It's all off topic, LOL, we were talking about Market Street, then I said, revitalized Market Street should take over the functions of South Street, then they said South Street was dead, then I addressed that elephant and BAM!, but off topic.

Last edited by PHILLYUPTOWN; 06-22-2023 at 12:03 AM..

Old 06-22-2023, 04:39 AM

The 'cruise spots' are where the trouble begins.

Old 06-22-2023, 09:08 AM

5,728 posts, read 3,249,287 times
Starbucks is no loss. Coffee is WAY overrated and too bitter. I'd rather have a Panera Bread.

Old 06-22-2023, 09:35 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,745,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
Starbucks is no loss. Coffee is WAY overrated and too bitter. I'd rather have a Panera Bread.
I am going to miss those starbucks coffee cakes

Old 06-22-2023, 10:44 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
A general reply since I see these types of comments often on here and another forum. The "I don't like it, so who cares" response to retail closures needs to stop.

Wawa closed: "O well, I don't like Wawa, who cares"

District Taco closed: "Horrible food, I never went there, who cares"

Marshalls closed: "Crappy clothes, and the store was a mess, who cares."

Target closed: "That Target was never stocked well, who cares."

DSW closed: "Another dying chain, who cares"

H&M closed: "There's still another one, who cares"

A closure is a closure, and unfortunate to lose solid tenants like most of the above, and the loss of Starbucks is another vacant space on Market Street. Also, I visit lots of coffee places, but I still like Starbucks, I don't understood that hate for it, not all chains are the devil.

Last edited by cpomp; 06-22-2023 at 10:54 AM..

Old 06-22-2023, 11:58 AM

4,479 posts, read 6,230,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILLYUPTOWN View Post
As for Black ppl, it's one of the only places black ppl feel comfortable and welcome congregating in downtown and it's apart of (our) culture....so that's tricky, does saving South Street mean pushing young black ppl away?
How in the actual eff can you say when or where "Black ppl" feel comfortable? That is complete sterotypical garbage dude. People are all different from one another, though we all share similarities. But cmon....

Black population in Philly is 43% of 1,567,258 giving us approximately 673,920.

You speaking for all 673,290 black people in Philly? So you know where all these people feel comfortable...based on their skin color....

Old 06-22-2023, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
A general reply since I see these types of comments often on here and another forum. The "I don't like it, so who cares" response to retail closures needs to stop.

Wawa closed: "O well, I don't like Wawa, who cares"

District Taco closed: "Horrible food, I never went there, who cares"

Marshalls closed: "Crappy clothes, and the store was a mess, who cares."

Target closed: "That Target was never stocked well, who cares."

DSW closed: "Another dying chain, who cares"

H&M closed: "There's still another one, who cares"

A closure is a closure, and unfortunate to lose solid tenants like most of the above, and the loss of Starbucks is another vacant space on Market Street. Also, I visit lots of coffee places, but I still like Starbucks, I don't understood that hate for it, not all chains are the devil.
Using my Mr. Moviephone voice - Why don't you just tell us how you'd like people to react?

Old 06-22-2023, 03:48 PM

4,479 posts, read 6,230,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
but I still like Starbucks, I don't understood that hate for it, not all chains are the devil.
Well then, theres lots of reasons that arent limited to the video Im posting...Off Topic...sorry...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH-Nq-DiZJ0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia