Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2023, 04:53 AM

2,045 posts, read 784,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILLYUPTOWN View Post
U misunderstand me. Anyone that checked my posts know that im not a progressive apologist. I’m saying that South Street has always been a destination for young black kids my whole life. The black verson of American Graffiti…a cruise strip. When I was growing up that was one of the first things I wanted to experience cuz all of the olders talked about it. Although I’m very pro center city growth, as anyone would know; I am a bit wary of whitewashing center city entirely…think about all the chain restaurants that black people would congregate at (because they’re not comfortable in the Steven Starr/upscale crowd)…olive garden, Fridays, Applebees…all gone….old gallery food court…gone. I’m saying can both things coexist; a vibrant nightlife strip and a destination for youth; I’m making no political statement but just hoping they can find a way to make it work.
I don't believe for a second that black people are 'uncomfortable in an upscale crowd.' They like chains because they're cheaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2023, 05:38 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times
But even that is a generalized statement… Too sweeping and generalized. Lots of people go to chain restaurants because they’re cheaper. It’s not about race…. which is why it continues to be a shame when people bring race into a subject or topic that has nothing to do with it.

I know that you didn’t do that, Hermit. You were just responding to a comment that had already gone in that direction. But the way your general statement was phrased perpetuated an irrelevant issue.

Last edited by selhars; 06-21-2023 at 05:48 AM..

Old 06-21-2023, 06:27 AM

471 posts, read 272,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
For what it's worth, Wawa closed 2 Washington DC locations. One location in 2020 and another last summer. The details are sparse, but likely due to the same issues.

While Wawa has done a mediocre job addressing big city issues, it's clear their concept in 2023 is meant for the burbs and sprawl centers (Florida, Georgia, etc.).
Yep, I lived one block from the Columbia Heights location when it opened in 2017 (I think that's the right year) and it just closed last summer - with 10 years left on its lease. Trust me, it was for the exact same problems.

Old 06-21-2023, 07:00 AM

1,387 posts, read 912,529 times
My wife and I have always liked going to Copabanana occasionally, but apparently, that is closing soon, too.

Old 06-21-2023, 09:18 AM

445 posts, read 414,223 times
The Wawa at 22nd and South is still open.

I haven't found Market East to be in worse condition than at any time pre-pandemic (in the past 30 years anyway), to be honest. It seems like people have a short memory. Do folks not remember how awful it was not even 10 years ago?!?

Also, District Taco was absolute trash. Seriously, a taco restaurant from DC? Lol.

Old 06-21-2023, 09:22 AM

1,697 posts, read 971,420 times
FWIW, Mulherin and Sons is scheduled to open their CC location in that development. I'd consider that a massive upgrade.

Old 06-21-2023, 09:36 AM

386 posts, read 266,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridge12 View Post

I haven't found Market East to be in worse condition than at any time pre-pandemic (in the past 30 years anyway), to be honest. It seems like people have a short memory. Do folks not remember how awful it was not even 10 years ago?!?

Also, District Taco was absolute trash. Seriously, a taco restaurant from DC? Lol.
Seriously, Market from 11th to 12th has been upgraded significantly and even the rest from 8th to 11th is slightly better than 10 years ago. As underwhelming as the gallery redevelopment is, having street facing Primark, Ulta etc. is better than it was before.

That’s not to say it doesn’t still need major improvements.

Old 06-21-2023, 02:16 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,748,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridge12 View Post

District Taco was a upgrade from Taco Bell. The point is there needs to be more food options between 11th and Market to 13th and Market.

Old 06-21-2023, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownBucks View Post
My wife and I have always liked going to Copabanana occasionally, but apparently, that is closing soon, too.
Geez ... had some good times in there. Loved the large variety of margaritas. The burgers used to be good, too. Ishkabibble's has slid, also.

Old 06-21-2023, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
But even that is a generalized statement… Too sweeping and generalized. Lots of people go to chain restaurants because they’re cheaper. It’s not about race…. which is why it continues to be a shame when people bring race into a subject or topic that has nothing to do with it.

I know that you didn’t do that, Hermit. You were just responding to a comment that had already gone in that direction. But the way your general statement was phrased perpetuated an irrelevant issue.
People discuss race, it's Ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia