Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Taylor Swift the most famous person to ever come from the Philly area?
Yes 13 17.11%
No 63 82.89%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2023, 07:40 PM

2,236 posts, read 1,124,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweb66 View Post
This really isn't that difficult, and its getting less and less interesting. She says she is from Philly and is an Eagles fan. The Eagles fan part makes perfect sense, and so does saying she is from Philly, which was probably said to some Hollywood reporter and its just easier to say she is from Philly rather than explaining what and where Reading is. And I totally get that. I've done that too, being from Allentown which interesting;y enough has never been called a coal town until just now. It was built on steel, cement and trucks and its impoverishment is very recent (yes I know the Lehigh Valley Railroad existed to connect coal regions to industrial centers, but by that measure, NYC was a coal town too).

Here is a thought, stop acting like Taylor Swift claiming to be from Philly is akin to her running over your cat with her car and stop claiming others have never "spent much time" into places you clearly haven't either.
Seeing a trend: ppl who are taking offense to being called out are from the burbs lol. neither you, Taylor or GWillyfromPhilly, I mean GWillyFromSouthJersey, are from Philly. Hell, I'm not either yet you don't see me trying to say Elkins Park is Philadelphia and I grew up literally a 2-minute walk from the county-city line.

IDK why y'all are so hard pressed to say you're from Philly when you aren't. Are y'all that insecure?

Last edited by AshbyQuin; 11-03-2023 at 07:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2023, 12:09 AM

14,193 posts, read 9,089,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Seeing a trend: ppl who are taking offense to being called out are from the burbs lol. neither you, Taylor or GWillyfromPhilly, I mean GWillyFromSouthJersey, are from Philly. Hell, I'm not either yet you don't see me trying to say Elkins Park is Philadelphia and I grew up literally a 2-minute walk from the county-city line.

IDK why y'all are so hard pressed to say you're from Philly when you aren't. Are y'all that insecure?
Were I to run into someone here who grew up in Prairie Village but told me they were from Kansas City, I wouldn't beat up on them.

That happened, btw. On Walnut Street, about 15 years ago. I was wearing an "I (heart) KC" T-shirt as I passed two women seated in front of a cafe. One of them called out as I passed them, "You're from Kansas City?"

I turned around and saw that the younger woman had a Worlds of Fun T-shirt on.

After affirming that I was, we immediately got all Old Home Week. When I asked what high school she went to, she said, "Shawnee Mission South."

Forgive me. She wouldn't have lived in Prairie Village. She would have lived in Overland Park. But 1,300 miles away from either, only the two of us (and her mom) would have known about, let alone understood, the difference. She would have told you, had you passed us, that she grew up in Kansas City, since you wouldn't know from Overland Park or the Shawnee Mission School District. (BTW, all those places are in Kansas. I'm from Missouri, where the older and larger of the two Kansas Cities is located.)

Now, in the area, we would have observed the difference. Out of it, there would be none.

Old 11-04-2023, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Were I to run into someone here who grew up in Prairie Village but told me they were from Kansas City, I wouldn't beat up on them.

That happened, btw. On Walnut Street, about 15 years ago. I was wearing an "I (heart) KC" T-shirt as I passed two women seated in front of a cafe. One of them called out as I passed them, "You're from Kansas City?"

I turned around and saw that the younger woman had a Worlds of Fun T-shirt on.

After affirming that I was, we immediately got all Old Home Week. When I asked what high school she went to, she said, "Shawnee Mission South."

Forgive me. She wouldn't have lived in Prairie Village. She would have lived in Overland Park. But 1,300 miles away from either, only the two of us (and her mom) would have known about, let alone understood, the difference. She would have told you, had you passed us, that she grew up in Kansas City, since you wouldn't know from Overland Park or the Shawnee Mission School District. (BTW, all those places are in Kansas. I'm from Missouri, where the older and larger of the two Kansas Cities is located.)

Now, in the area, we would have observed the difference. Out of it, there would be none.
I 100% agree with the bold. It's unreasonable for ppl on here of all places to associate Taylor with Philadelphia when its nowhere close. I'd understand if they were trying to align her with being from Philly to someone who isn't familiar with the city or state, but it's extremely weird that they're trying to say she's Philly on a Philly-based forum on a website dedicated to city nerds. Like, I'm 99% sure everyone is aware of Reading on the PA forum so there's really no need for the "claim the nearest big city" logic. It just reeks of insecurity for people ATP

Old 11-04-2023, 07:23 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,454,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
I 100% agree with the bold. It's unreasonable for ppl on here of all places to associate Taylor with Philadelphia when its nowhere close. I'd understand if they were trying to align her with being from Philly to someone who isn't familiar with the city or state, but it's extremely weird that they're trying to say she's Philly on a Philly-based forum on a website dedicated to city nerds. Like, I'm 99% sure everyone is aware of Reading on the PA forum so there's really no need for the "claim the nearest big city" logic. It just reeks of insecurity for people ATP
My subsequent question is not rhetorical, nor am I trying to flame you. I am genuinely curious. Why are you so passionately against the idea that Taylor Swift is from the Philadelphia *area*? It just doesn't seem like the hill to die on. Even if you disagree with posters who think as much, in my opinion, it's not that deep.

Old 11-04-2023, 07:57 AM

32,117 posts, read 34,753,293 times
I don't understand the logic of claiming the nearest big city when a simple "Pennsylvania" or "Allentown, Pennsylania" would suffice. If someone asks where it is, you just say "60 or so miles north of Philadelphia." I have this type of conversation all the time when I meet people from California, Georgia, Massachusetts, Texas, Florida, etc. who are not from a major city.

Old 11-04-2023, 08:45 AM

9,381 posts, read 9,349,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
They never had the internet... Turn it around, would Taylor be THIS famous if she'd come along without it? I say: no; but we can differ.
What is the point of these "whataboutisms"?

Like it or not, Taylor Swift is one of the most famous people on the planet, and far exceeds anyone you listed in terms of fame, even if you like them more.

And if Taylor rose to fame before the Internet / social media, I'm sure she would still be a megastar. Madonna did it, Dolly did it, Mariah did it, Whitney did it.

Anyways, this thread is going in circles....

Old 11-04-2023, 08:47 AM

2,045 posts, read 788,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I don't understand the logic of claiming the nearest big city when a simple "Pennsylvania" or "Allentown, Pennsylania" would suffice. If someone asks where it is, you just say "60 or so miles north of Philadelphia." I have this type of conversation all the time when I meet people from California, Georgia, Massachusetts, Texas, Florida, etc. who are not from a major city.
Yep ... it really is quite that simple.

Old 11-04-2023, 10:16 AM

33,315 posts, read 12,551,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
My issue with your post is that you think Philadelphia's cultural realm of influence only spans about 20 or so miles. Like it or not Berks county is part of the Philly area. I hope you realize that Philly is the 2nd largest city on the east coast and 3rd largest city in the entire eastern United States. The largest cities have cultural influences that span over great distances.

Not to mention Taylor Swift has already clarified that she is from the Philly area.
How is Philly not also the second largest city in the entire eastern United States ?

Are you defining Chicago as being in the eastern United States just because it is east of the Mississippi River ?

Old 11-04-2023, 10:26 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,454,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
How is Philly not also the second largest city in the entire eastern United States ?

Are you defining Chicago as being in the eastern United States just because it is east of the Mississippi River ?
Considering gwilly made a distinction between the East Coast and Eastern USA, I’d say that’s definitely what they meant. It’s a common definition.

Old 11-04-2023, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
My subsequent question is not rhetorical, nor am I trying to flame you. I am genuinely curious. Why are you so passionately against the idea that Taylor Swift is from the Philadelphia *area*? It just doesn't seem like the hill to die on. Even if you disagree with posters who think as much, in my opinion, it's not that deep.
OP originally said "from Philadelphia" before they edited it to say area and that's where the disagreement is because a few ppl on here are trying to sell Reading as being able to be a distant neighborhood in Philly. literally 10 minutes outside Reading (where Taylor is actually from) is farmland, firework shops, old mills and people driving tractors in overalls, hence why it sits in its own MSA because the two areas are nothing alike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia