Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Taylor Swift the most famous person to ever come from the Philly area?
Yes 13 17.11%
No 63 82.89%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2023, 07:16 AM

9,395 posts, read 9,377,964 times

Advertisements

We can pick apart the interpretation of "famous", but without a doubt Taylor Swift is among the most famous (or well known) people on the planet. But agree, Reading is not the Philadelphia area, and I don't think the general populous associates her with Philadelphia, but rather Pennsylvania.

Another famous person from the actual area is Pink, she grew up in Doylestown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2023, 07:26 AM

1,170 posts, read 596,580 times
Its not even whether you consider Reading apart of Philly. She is famous and she is from Reading, but she is not famously from Reading the way say Will Smith or Ben Franklin are from Philly. Maybe she should write a song about Wyomissing, where she is actually from. I can see it as one of her many break up songs, "Why you missing me?". Guaranteed #1 hit

Old 09-22-2023, 07:30 AM

1,214 posts, read 959,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
We can pick apart the interpretation of "famous", but without a doubt Taylor Swift is among the most famous (or well known) people on the planet. But agree, Reading is not the Philadelphia area, and I don't think the general populous associates her with Philadelphia, but rather Pennsylvania.

Oh, without a doubt she is. I just don't agree with most famous person ever from the Philly region. And yes, Reading is a stretch to include in the Philly region or MSA. Although, it looks like the Philadelphia MSA goes out to just past Pottstown which is only about 15-20 miles from Reading, so it is close to the MSA boundaries.

Old 09-22-2023, 07:48 AM

1,407 posts, read 928,562 times
I also grew up in Wyomissing (left in 1989 months before Taylor was born). We identified with Philadelphia for sports and culture, although we were clearly not in the "Philly suburbs" or Philadelphia MSA (although it is part of the Reading-Philadelphia-Camden CSA). The most famous people from Wyomissing are Taylor (although she is really more famous for being "from" Nashville), Jon Gosselin (of Jon & Kate), and three NFL players (Ross Tucker, Matt Lytle, and Alex Anzalone) and a MLB pitcher (Rich Delucia) despite only 400-500 kids total (not by class) in the high school.

Old 09-22-2023, 07:54 AM

8,118 posts, read 7,488,992 times
I knew she was from Pennsylvania, but I never thought of her as being "from Philly".

Ben Franklin is from Philly, though he was born and raised in Boston. Moved to Philly at the age of 17, which made him an adult in the 1700's.

As John Lennon once said, "We're bigger than Jesus Christ". Nowadays young people don't know who John Lennon was unless their parents and grandparents teach them. I have nothing against Taylor Swift and I like a few of her songs (I'm a heterosexual 63 year old male) but when she's gone Ben Franklin will still be on the $100 bill, and Taylor Swift will be the answer to a trivia question.

Old 09-22-2023, 08:05 AM

350 posts, read 199,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
Agreed. Reading is Philadelphia adjacent. Locally, we would never mix the two areas, same with Allentown/Bethlehem.

"Is Rita from Philadelphia?"
"No, she's from Reading."
Why are you changing the question? Yeah "locally"

That doesn't even make sense since the question is about WORLD WIDE FAME wtf.

The question is "Is Rita from THE PHILADELPHIA AREA?"

YES.

NOBODY IN THE ENTIRE COUNTRY who isn't from Philly would even think twice.

Oh no, she's from BERKS COUNTY PA??

Oh no, she's from the HARRISBURG AREA?

Is that what you guys want people to say?

Reading is part of the Delaware Valley, also known as the Philadelphia metropolitan area, a region that also includes Philadelphia, Upper Darby, Camden, Atlantic City, Wilmington, and other Philadelphia-area cities and counties. With a 2020 core metropolitan statistical area population of 6.288 million and a combined statistical area population of 7.366 million, the Delaware Valley is the nation's seventh-largest metropolitan region.

Old 09-22-2023, 08:07 AM

Sometimes people on the internet disagree just to be disagreeable.

Thread hijackers debating if she's from the Phila area ignoring the ACTUAL question.

Old 09-22-2023, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
I knew she was from Pennsylvania, but I never thought of her as being "from Philly".

Ben Franklin is from Philly, though he was born and raised in Boston. Moved to Philly at the age of 17, which made him an adult in the 1700's.

As John Lennon once said, "We're bigger than Jesus Christ". Nowadays young people don't know who John Lennon was unless their parents and grandparents teach them. I have nothing against Taylor Swift and I like a few of her songs (I'm a heterosexual 63 year old male) but when she's gone Ben Franklin will still be on the $100 bill, and Taylor Swift will be the answer to a trivia question.
The question is NOT is she "FROM PHILLY".

It's also:

NOT "Is she the most famous person from Philly in history"

NOT "is she deserving of fame"

NOT "Will anybody remember her"

etc.

But people LOVE changing quetions then talking off topic.

Old 09-22-2023, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
Oh, without a doubt she is. I just don't agree with most famous person ever from the Philly region. And yes, Reading is a stretch to include in the Philly region or MSA. Although, it looks like the Philadelphia MSA goes out to just past Pottstown which is only about 15-20 miles from Reading, so it is close to the MSA boundaries.
So you're disagreeing with something that wasn't said?

Originally Posted by cpomp View Post

They didn't say "EVER" and it's not even in the ORIGINAL question.

Old 09-22-2023, 08:12 AM

1,407 posts, read 928,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxrivers View Post
The question is NOT is she "FROM PHILLY".

It's also:

NOT "is she deserving of fame"

NOT "Will anybody remember her"

etc.

But people LOVE changing quetions then talking off topic.
I agree with your sentiment except for this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxrivers View Post
That literally IS the question, which says "the most famous person to ever come from Philly".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia