Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Taylor Swift the most famous person to ever come from the Philly area?
Yes 13 17.11%
No 63 82.89%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2023, 03:36 PM

10,627 posts, read 12,182,515 times

Advertisements

Saying "Philly" is lower class? OK....

The only place I write Philly I here on CD.
In conversation in "real life" -- at work, or with strangers I always say Philadelphia.

Guess I'm projecting a lower class life here on CD.

Not that I have to say the word that often anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2023, 04:11 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,030,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
I could understand if she had grown up in Cherry Hill, attended college in Philly, regularly visited family in south Philly, went to Eagles/Phillies games, and hung out with friends in CC, but that's not the case. She grew up in TN... Her sole affiliation with Philly comes from an arbitrary MSA boundary making her from the area.

I'm not sure why you're trying to force Taylor into being some type of Philly icon.
She wasn't born and raised in Tennessee. She was born and raised in the Philly area and she's already acknowledge she grew up in this area.

Old 09-22-2023, 04:23 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,177,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie1244 View Post
Reading and Berks County is not the Philadelphia area.
Lancaster County is not in the Philadelphia CSA.

Nor is the Lehigh Valley.

Berks County, OTOH, is.

Old 09-22-2023, 04:31 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,177,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
You can get Channel 6 all the way up in the Poconos and that's way out from the MSA or CSA.

Honestly, IMO the MSA needs to be updated; it excludes Trenton which has an actual line connecting to the city but includes Cecilton MD, which has Royal Farms, Food Lion and receives Baltimore news stations.
The Office of Management and Budget uses commuting patterns to determine what counties are in MSAs and which MSAs or µSAs ("micropolitan statistical areas" — economic areas with a core city of fewer than 50,000 inhabitants) belong in a CSA. Given that you can get to Exton sooner from Reading than from Center City Philadelphia, there is quite likely non-trivial commuting between the first two places.

Trenton got moved from the Philadelphia CSA to the New York one in the 1990s. The growth of employment centers in the Princeton area that attract Middlesex County residents probably accounts for the shift. Mercer County remains in Philadelphia's media market.

Cecil County, MD, is in Philadelphia's CSA because there's significant commuting between it and New Castle County, Del., which is in the Philadelphia MSA. That makes it just like Mercer County, NJ, because it is indeed in Baltimore's DMA ("designated market area" – media market). Food Lion remains a delineator, but there's a Royal Farms on Aramingo Avenue in Port Richmond, and Phillymag actually gave the chain a Best of Philly ("Best Gas Station Fried Chicken") back in 2015 or thereabouts.

Old 09-22-2023, 05:08 PM

17,858 posts, read 13,787,748 times
Even if Taylor was from Philly...

As a musical act...Hall and Oates were Philly area boys who had a 20 year run very much like the one she is on right now.

Todd Rundgren is considered one of the greatest musical geniuses of the last half of the 20th century by those who are music afficionados... despite the fact that most people only know him by the first song he ever wrote as a 17 year old... "Hello It's Me".

Old 09-22-2023, 05:21 PM

1,170 posts, read 597,838 times
Nothing against Hall and Oates but they do not even come close to the popularity of Taylor Swift. Musically, I don't think any "Philadelphian" does, not Boyz II Men, Patti Labelle, Hall & Oates, Pink or whoever. They aren't even in the same league. I am not speaking of the quality of anything, that is entirely subjective. Taylor Swift has been smashing records for 15 years now.

Old 09-22-2023, 06:05 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,379,837 times
There is nothing wrong with being known as the most famous person to ever come from the Reading area, which Swift obviously is.

The funny part about this entire debate, is that unless you are into her life story, I would imagine a good chuck of people out there, believe she was born and raised in the Nashville area!

Old 09-22-2023, 06:33 PM

That was my point as well from earlier. She is super famous, and from Reading, but she is not famously from Reading the way say Springsteen is from Jersey or Eminem is from Detroit or Nirvana is from Seattle to name a few.

Old 09-22-2023, 07:08 PM

6,805 posts, read 2,937,519 times
Wow. That the perceived 'fame' of celebrities - in this case Taylor Swift - influences SO MANY of you borders on the glorification of said celebrity. Do any of the participants in this thread actually have any talents of their own?

glorification: the act of describing something in a way that makes it seem better or more important than it really is.

Old 09-22-2023, 07:23 PM

There is no such thing as "perceived" fame. If everyone knows who they are, they are famous by definition. I get you are trying to be esoteric and deep, but you come of as pompous and pointless. Bye
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia