Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Taylor Swift the most famous person to ever come from the Philly area?
Yes 13 17.11%
No 63 82.89%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2023, 07:34 PM

2,237 posts, read 1,131,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
The Office of Management and Budget uses commuting patterns to determine what counties are in MSAs and which MSAs or µSAs ("micropolitan statistical areas" — economic areas with a core city of fewer than 50,000 inhabitants) belong in a CSA. Given that you can get to Exton sooner from Reading than from Center City Philadelphia, there is quite likely non-trivial commuting between the first two places.

Trenton got moved from the Philadelphia CSA to the New York one in the 1990s. The growth of employment centers in the Princeton area that attract Middlesex County residents probably accounts for the shift. Mercer County remains in Philadelphia's media market.

Cecil County, MD, is in Philadelphia's CSA because there's significant commuting between it and New Castle County, Del., which is in the Philadelphia MSA. That makes it just like Mercer County, NJ, because it is indeed in Baltimore's DMA ("designated market area" – media market). Food Lion remains a delineator, but there's a Royal Farms on Aramingo Avenue in Port Richmond, and Phillymag actually gave the chain a Best of Philly ("Best Gas Station Fried Chicken") back in 2015 or thereabouts.
I feel like the Philly area really ends around Pottstown towards that direction. I’ve been to Reading, it feels like it’s in its own world. Not the Lehigh Valley and not Philly.

To your point on CSA: It feels like it’s cheating to include Cecil Co. is only in the CSA because it’s en route to Baltimore or DC so it appears as if Philadelphians go there as a primary destination or there’s some type of work flow between the two. You said it yourself, it’s shared travel patterns are with Delaware, not Philadelphia or a PA county so it’s included by proxy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2023, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
She wasn't born and raised in Tennessee. She was born and raised in the Philly area and she's already acknowledge she grew up in this area.
I’m aware she was born in Redding, however her formal years were spent in TN. She has no personal connections to the city. She began her career in Nashville, she got famous in Nashville. Her music influences came from Nashville.

Allen Iverson has had more of a cultural impact on Philly than Taylor’s ever had or will— and he’s from a different state.

Old 09-22-2023, 07:42 PM

1,170 posts, read 596,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
I’m aware she was born in Redding, however her formal years were spent in TN. She has no personal connections to the city. She began her career in Nashville, she got famous in Nashville. Her music influences came from Nashville.

Allen Iverson has had more of a cultural impact on Philly than Taylor’s ever had or will— and he’s from a different state.
I disagree, his book report on his trip to zoo while at Georgetown is up there with Gorillas In the Mist (including for that time when Iverson kicked out his naked girlfriend out of his house for poaching gorilla hands). I think I have that story straight. But the subject of "cultural icon" is an entirely different conversation.

Last edited by Tweb66; 09-22-2023 at 07:43 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-22-2023, 07:47 PM

Quote:
I feel like the Philly area really ends around Pottstown towards that direction. I’ve been to Reading, it feels like it’s in its own world. Not the Lehigh Valley and not Philly.

To your point on CSA: It feels like it’s cheating to include Cecil Co. is only in the CSA because it’s en route to Baltimore or DC so it appears as if Philadelphians go there as a primary destination or there’s some type of work flow between the two. You said it yourself, it’s shared travel patterns are with Delaware, not Philadelphia or a PA county so it’s included by proxy.

Newbies to LV may commute to NYC (or north jersey, more likely) but all native LV residents cheer for the Eagles, myself as the exception. But to reiterate, if I was traveling far away, I too would say I am from "the Philly area" if someone asked where I was from, and wasn't that interested in having a conversation with them. And if I am being honest, if you have a problem with Swift saying she is from the "area", you probably have an inferiority (and well placed) complex.

Old 09-22-2023, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweb66 View Post
Newbies to LV may commute to NYC (or north jersey, more likely) but all native LV residents cheer for the Eagles, myself as the exception. But to reiterate, if I was traveling far away, I too would say I am from "the Philly area" if someone asked where I was from, and wasn't that interested in having a conversation with them. And if I am being honest, if you have a problem with Swift saying she is from the "area", you probably have an inferiority (and well placed) complex.
I'm not sure why you're coming at me. I said on two occasions that she is the most famous person from the area. However, OP's follow-up question before editing out asked if she's the most popular person from Philly itself, and that's a hard "heck no".

Her saying "she's from Philly" while in Philly performing at the Linc is also a hard "hell no". When you're actually in the city, the whole "claiming to be from Philly because it's the most recognizable nearby place" doesn't hold up.

Old 09-22-2023, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweb66 View Post
I disagree, his book report on his trip to zoo while at Georgetown is up there with Gorillas In the Mist (including for that time when Iverson kicked out his naked girlfriend out of his house for poaching gorilla hands). I think I have that story straight. But the subject of "cultural icon" is an entirely different conversation.

She literally holds the title for the most recognized person from the region based on arbitrary government boundaries designating her in the MSA.

IMO, OP's question is twofold. It can be taken literally whether she's the most well-known person from the Delaware Valley or if she's the most popular person who embodies Philly culture and identity. Regarding the latter, the answer is "no"

Old 09-22-2023, 08:31 PM

I am not coming at you, or at least that wasn't my intention. My point is if she says that she is "from the Philly area" or whatever, we need to chill. She might herself not believe that, but if nothing else its a quick way to answer the question without having to explain how to say "Reading" or whatever. I get it, and I've done it myself. Its not her appropriating anything, its just a way to answer a common question. Outside of about 5 million people, no one really cares about this. And if your feel "offended" by her claiming to be from "the area", to be frank, no one that matters cares, get over it. Find something more important to fret about.

Old 09-22-2023, 08:33 PM

Quote:
She literally holds the title for the most recognized person from the region based on arbitrary government boundaries designating her in the MSA.

IMO, OP's question is twofold. It can be taken literally whether she's the most well-known person from the Delaware Valley or if she's the most popular person who embodies Philly culture and identity. Regarding the latter, the answer is "no"
I think we agree, semantics are a *****.

Old 09-22-2023, 08:43 PM

14,266 posts, read 9,143,312 times
Quote:

I actually don't disagree with your point, either — it's not like New Yorkers are commuting to jobs in Trenton or Princeton, either.

But residents of one county in the extant New York CSA were, and in enough numbers to tip the percentages in its favor.

Cecil County is much closer to Wilmington than it is to Baltimore, and Wilmington is an employment center — sheesh, I commuted to work there from Center City for six months in 2006. The OMB only requires that the commuter flows be between the county in question and any county in an adjacent MSA/CSA.

Wilmington is better thought of as a satellite city rather than a "suburb", just like Camden (or Trenton was). But it draws commuters from the Philadelphia MSA in enough numbers to become part of it. Though this does raise a question: Why isn't New Castle County its own MSA?

Old 09-22-2023, 09:30 PM

2,045 posts, read 793,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownBucks View Post
No its not, but stay angry anyway.
Yes, it is, tough guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia