Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2023, 10:57 AM

2,502 posts, read 4,435,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdjack View Post
We are currently in St. Charles (2.5 years) but I grew up in the Downers Grove area.
Both of which are suburbs, unlikely that much was walkable. You're in for a treat in Philly.

Assuming we're talking doctor salary, look at neighborhoods in center City near the river - Fitler Square (yes the spelling is correct) or Rittenhouse square. Safe, energetic, dynamic areas.

Easy drive to the airport.

Old 09-22-2023, 11:06 AM

1,395 posts, read 913,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Both of which are suburbs, unlikely that much was walkable. You're in for a treat in Philly.

Assuming we're talking doctor salary, look at neighborhoods in center City near the river - Fitler Square (yes the spelling is correct) or Rittenhouse square. Safe, energetic, dynamic areas.

Downers Grove has a nice downtown area. LOL.

Old 09-22-2023, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit12 View Post
I don't care about other cities. Philly is pretty crime-ridden. And Roxborough/Andorra check off the top two things that are important to them.
There is definitely a good deal of irony that you call suburbanites fake tough in the other thread, yet you are scared ****less of your own city. LOL.

Old 09-22-2023, 11:28 AM

Quote:
We are currently in St. Charles (2.5 years) but I grew up in the Downers Grove area.
Quote:
This is a tough question! Because we are looking for an additional place I think we are likely looking up to $400k or rental up to about $3000/ month. I’ve already looked at a lot of single family properties that would be in our budget and the prices for a 3-4 bed with a decent yard are significantly higher there than for what we have in IL, and most of those need remodeling. We would be ok with a townhouse/condo arrangement until we know that I can either find a job or work remotely permanently. And when our kids make some decisions (they are all young adults so I don’t need something big if they aren’t moving with us). Rental will also be difficult if we need to live our dogs full time, we gave 3 and they aren’t “small”.
St. Charles is pretty far out of the city. You can't really compare real estate costs there to downtown Philly. I'm sure real estate would be a lot higher if you were looking in Bucktown or Lincoln Park, too. Comparable to St. Charles in the Philly burbs would be Chester County somewhere between Kennett Square and Oxford.

Anyway, based on your checklist, I'd recommend looking in South Philly or West Philly. In South Philly, maybe Pennsport or Passyunk Square. Both are relatively safe neighborhoods and have lots of options for restaurants, bars, and shopping (including the Italian Market on 9th Street). The housing in South Philly is primarily row homes. I'm not sure if you'll be able to get in under $400k for a 4BR, but I think you should be able to find something that suits you. South Philly has easy access to I-95 to get to the airport and to the Broad Street subway to go anywhere else in the city. The Broad Street line connects a City Hall with Septa (regional rail akin to Metra) and with the Market St El (the namesake of our illustrious poster Sandy) to get to U Penn and 30th Street Station for Amtrak, so it's pretty easy to get anywhere on public transportation from those neighborhoods.

MSE covered some of the better neighborhoods in West Philly already. The benefit of West Philly is that is where Penn Presbyterian is, so it would be close to his work. West Philly is also along the Market Street El and convenient to public transportation. To get to the airport requires taking the Schuylkill Expressway or Vine St Expressway through the city to get to I-95, and those roads are more prone to being backed up (think of the Schuylkill as the equivalent of the Eisenhower, LOL). There is also a train directly from 30th Street Station in West Philly to the airport. In West Philly, you have to be more cognizant of the neighborhoods, though, especially as you get further away from University City (i.e. the Penn and Drexel campus neighborhoods, which are as safe as any in the city). U-City area is probably a little more expensive in terms of housing, but I haven't done any research on that.

Old 09-22-2023, 11:44 AM

2,045 posts, read 785,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownBucks View Post
There is definitely a good deal of irony that you call suburbanites fake tough in the other thread, yet you are scared ****less of your own city. LOL.
I'm not 'scared,' just stating facts. I go where l want.

Old 09-22-2023, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post

Just be careful walking around in the wee hours.

Old 09-22-2023, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Just be careful walking around in the wee hours.
Be scared, be very scared.

Old 09-22-2023, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Late weeknight in Center City? Damn right you better pay attention. Same goes for early morning. Hermit sees what's out there ...

Old 09-22-2023, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Look , I know you do your best to defend 'The Party's' handiwork, but facts are facts. I wish it weren't so, but it is what it is.

Old 09-22-2023, 12:01 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,596,784 times
Quote:
Look , I know you do your best to defend 'The Party's' handiwork, but facts are facts. I wish it weren't so, but it is what it is.
"The Party." LOL. You're a funny guy; I mean that sincerely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia