Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2023, 10:51 AM

471 posts, read 272,281 times

Advertisements

https://billypenn.com/2023/09/21/phi...wth-rates-top/

Philly’s growth in young adult degree-holders beats Denver, Washington, D.C., and Seattle by over 15 percentage points, according to the study, and more than doubles the rate of traditional college towns like Boston (77%), Chicago (62%), or New York (59%).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2023, 11:57 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Excellent news. College grads move to opportunity rich cities, and Philadelphia is finally catching up in that regard.

Old 09-25-2023, 12:08 PM

1,213 posts, read 953,967 times
Agree, excellent news. The article touches in our strong life sciences industry and our growing tech sector, but they don't attribute this growth directly to these sectors, or any sectors specifically. I guess they don't have that level of data yet, but I would be very interested to see a breakdown of industry for this demographic. I imagine it's a mix of our traditional large industries (Ed and Med, legal, finance, telecommunications/Comcast) coupled with our booming life sciences and growing tech scene, but some hard data would be interesting to see...

Old 09-27-2023, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
So I don't know why its exciting when they stay then
It's exciting because, unlike most Philadelphia suburbs, which have been and continue to be very healthy and affluent, our city has had some tough years. However, it has been on a strong rebound over the last couple of decades. Our city needs increased and sustained growth, and the right kind of growth (tax paying, successful and gainfully employed residents).

So, every new data point that shows this trajectory accelerating is exciting to me, and honestly, should be exciting to everyone in the greater Philadelphia region. A healthier Philadelphia benefits everyone in our region. It seems to me that most of the people who actively route against Philly and still live in the Philly region almost always have a personal agenda based on bias or bitterness and are willing to sacrifice their own prosperity to gleefully revel in the failure and misery of others. That's a tough, and bluntly, very sad way for one to find happiness in my opinion.

Old 09-27-2023, 01:38 PM

752 posts, read 458,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
It seems to me that most of the people who actively route against Philly and still live in the Philly region almost always have a personal agenda based on bias or bitterness and are willing to sacrifice their own prosperity to gleefully revel in the failure and misery of others.
Many left due to perceived and real quality of life issues and seeing things get better makes them feel insecure for some reason. I think they see themselves as refugees in a sense. I grew up in the NE and it seems like most of my generation from that area moved to the suburbs. When talking to them, they are incredulous of amount of residential construction and in their view, the people moving there just must be ignorant to the ills of the City that they fled.

Old 09-27-2023, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
Many left due to perceived and real quality of life issues and seeing things get better makes them feel insecure for some reason. I think they see themselves as refugees in a sense. I grew up in the NE and it seems like most of my generation from that area moved to the suburbs. When talking to them, they are incredulous of amount of residential construction and in their view, the people moving there just must be ignorant to the ills of the City that they fled.
I understand misgivings - hey, we've all made our mistakes or errs in judgement. But to actively route against one's own greater metropolitan area, even to the determent of one's own prosperity, seems rather petty and sad. I've sold stock several times where if I had just held another six months, I would have made several thousands of dollars. While I'm annoyed at myself, I don't actively pray for the stock to tank and for those who gutted it out to lose everything. I actually wish them well and applaud them for their choice to stick things out and benefit.

Old 09-27-2023, 05:59 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,447,522 times
And you’ll notice the Negative Nancies never come to threads like this to reflect and think, “hey, maybe I’ve been a bit of a Debbie Downer. In Philadelphia, like all places, there’s good and bad news.” They just gravitate to the negative headlines and thread titles to relish in their confirmation bias. When the bias so heavily favors pessimism, you’ve really gotta take pity on such dismal dispositions.

Old 09-27-2023, 08:12 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
And you’ll notice the Negative Nancies never come to threads like this to reflect and think, “hey, maybe I’ve been a bit of a Debbie Downer. In Philadelphia, like all places, there’s good and bad news.” They just gravitate to the negative headlines and thread titles to relish in their confirmation bias. When the bias so heavily favors pessimism, you’ve really gotta take pity on such dismal dispositions.
"Philadelphia is underrated, and nobody underrates it more than the locals." —me

Old 09-28-2023, 03:46 PM

2,045 posts, read 782,588 times
I love my city as much as anybody and I'm glad to see decent people moving in, but it doesn't really affect me directly.

How excited am I supposed to get?

Personally, most here come across as cheering for the blue team or their real estate.

Old 09-28-2023, 05:33 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times
^ Yeah. But you didn't come on and poo-poo the news either.

Besides, the article said they come (or stay once they graduate). I didn't see anything about how long they "stay."

How long someone one "stays" depends on a lot of factors. Some people leave because the spouse got a better job and they had to go, some people leave because THEY got a better job, or for other family reasons. And, yes, some people leave because they no longer want to be in the city for whatever reason.

For someone to say they'll leave is not even relevant. Especially given that that's not even what the topic was. Some people just have to figure out a way to be negative, even if not on point. Most people, I hope, see that for what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia