Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 09:52 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,475,519 times

Advertisements

A report's come out and apparently Philly's population has dropped to 6th in the rankings where it used to be 5. Just as I thought,people are either being killed or getting out. Second only to New Orleans where it took a hurricane to wipe half the people out...

MyFox Philadelphia | Census: More People Fleeing Philadelphia (http://www.myfoxphilly.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail?contentId=6953808&version=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=1.1.1 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 11:07 AM

7,271 posts, read 10,601,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
A report's come out and apparently Philly's population has dropped to 6th in the rankings where it used to be 5. Just as I thought,people are either being killed or getting out. Second only to New Orleans where it took a hurricane to wipe half the people out...

MyFox Philadelphia | Census: More People Fleeing Philadelphia (http://www.myfoxphilly.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail?contentId=6953808&version=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=1.1.1 - broken link)
I don't think this comes as much of a surprise to anyone. However, as always, there are different ways to interpret statistics, and here are a couple of my qualms:

1.) This is just a Census Bureau estimate. It will be hard to make any real conclusions about Philadelphia's population trends until 2010 census data is released.

2.) It shows a 7-year trend (2000-2007), and a lot can happen in 7 years. Although it shows an estimate of about 68,000 people having left the city, it does not indicate any sort of distribution of time during which these people left. Thus, the rate of population loss could have reversed by the end of the seven years while the overall estimated trend suggests otherwise.

Last edited by Duderino; 07-10-2008 at 12:12 PM..

Old 07-10-2008, 12:08 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
I don't doubt that Philly has lost residents... but I believe that the drop to the 6th largest city is more due to the rise of Phoenix (pun intended) whose square mileage rivals sprawled-out LA.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:16 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,094,681 times
Yes, this is old news, I think, but this article hit the Inquirer today. I don't think it's a surprise to anyone, though I'm sure some will revel in this article and boast of how much they hate Philadelphia and how the city deserves to continue shrinking.

We all know the problems: taxes too high, poor performing education, and crime escalading. It would be nice if the Inquirer spent more time offering solutions to these problems instead of just pointing them out. It would also be nice if city residents stopped voting for self-centered dirtbags and started demanding more from their leaders.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:01 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,717,786 times
The cities that are growing are the same sprawling Sunbelt cities that have been for years. No surprise there.

What I found interesting was not that people are leaving, but that it's slowed down in the most recent year (especially given the title).

Old 07-10-2008, 01:18 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,781,978 times
I got the impression from that article that they thought the people leaving the city were also leaving the metro in search of job opportunities for less educated and low income. In other words the people that Philly can afford to lose. There really is no advantage to having a huge population within the cities boundrys, as one can see by looking at "small" cities like San Francisco or Boston, as long as the metro, which is the "real" city is healthy. There seem to be more "large " cities like Detroit and L.A. and Phoenix that are having problems.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:14 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,094,681 times
Yes but we shouldn't sugarcoat anything. Philadelphia is shrinking, and it shouldn't be. It should be growing. Maybe it doesn't need to have 2m residents like it did in 1950, but it should be growing nevertheless. I do wonder, though, what would happen if both Philadelphia and PA experienced a rate of growth closer to the national average. So many people here seem to hate what little growth we have now, with people in the city thinking that the more tall buildings Philadelphia has the worse it becomes. In the suburbs, you have people pissing and moaning about sprawl. So I wonder exactly how we can grow and at the same time make people happy.

Old 07-10-2008, 04:19 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,475,519 times
To be honest,Philadelphia seems like a city that should never have become a city. It was probably farmland like the rest of PA and tried to become white collar somehow but doesn't seem to be cutting it like most cities in the country. To this day all PA is is Pittsburgh and Philadelphia bookending with West Virginia in between

Old 07-10-2008, 08:15 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
To be honest,Philadelphia seems like a city that should never have become a city. It was probably farmland like the rest of PA and tried to become white collar somehow but doesn't seem to be cutting it like most cities in the country. To this day all PA is is Pittsburgh and Philadelphia bookending with West Virginia in between
With all due respect, Philadelphia was the first capital of the United States. Whatever passed for white collar was here at the begininng. Whether Philly is currently "cutting it" is a matter of opinion or perspective, on which we will surely continue to have constructive debates on this forum.

And, for the record, I believe it was James Carville, from whom I'm told I live "spitting distance" away from these days, who said the (in)famous quote:
"Pennsylvania is Philadelphia and Pittsburgh with Alabama in the middle".

Not that I don't have anything but respect for any Alabamans or West Virginians.

Last edited by FindingZen; 07-10-2008 at 08:50 PM..

Old 07-10-2008, 08:30 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,218,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Thus, the rate of population loss could have reversed by the end of the seven years while the overall estimated trend suggests otherwise.
Rino the report mentions that the population has slowed considerably in the last 3 years around 3,000 people per year in the past few years. Thats a pittance when you are talking a city of 1.5 M

Stuck must feel like a kid on Christmas morning after a report like this comes out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia