Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 08:11 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,317,437 times

Advertisements

Thanks Tone509. I was intending to live in the suburbs, so I am asking these questions related to crime to generally understand the metro area (ie. if someone says -- dont move to Philly due to crime, trying to understand what that means).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 08:13 AM

Is there any 2008 stats for Philadelphia crime online? How is the new Mayoral adminstration viewed?

Old 09-17-2008, 08:21 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
this is usually helpful - 237 murders so far....well as far as what the PPD has decided to report

Philadelphia Police Department :: Headquarters

Old 09-17-2008, 08:23 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,216,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGA View Post
Thanks Tone509. I was intending to live in the suburbs, so I am asking these questions related to crime to generally understand the metro area (ie. if someone says -- dont move to Philly due to crime, trying to understand what that means).
It means dont move to the poverty stricken areas. North Philly,SW Philly and inner ring suburbs e.g the city of Camden,Chester city,and the Delaware county border towns next to SW Philly e.g., Darby,Yeadon,parts of Upper Darby.Philadlephia metro is 5,000 sq miles. Maybe 50 sq miles are places you absolutely would not want to live.

3 miles outside the city limits crime rate is not much of a factor. The further N+ W+E you go the better off you are as far as becoming a victim of crime.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:03 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,984,189 times
Crime in Atlanta is far worse than in Philadelphia. Crime in the suburbs of southern metros is also usually much worse than in northeastern metros.

In Philadelphia you probably wouldn't want to live in North Philly north of Girard Ave.

In West Philly you should stay away from the area north of Market between 40th and 63rd St. South of Market down to the train tracks ranges from awesome to seedy out to about 50th/52nd St. That whole area is improving rapidly.

There are small parts of South Philly that one should avoid but, again, it's changing quickly. The Kingsessing neighborhood in Southwest Philly is pretty rough but the Eastwick neighborhood down by the airport is low key and almost suburban.

Almost all of Northwest Philly above Chelten Ave. would be a great place to live. Roxborough, Manayunk, East Falls, Mt. Airy, Andorra, Chestnut Hill and west Germantown. The only exception is the part of Germantown east of Germantown Ave.

In the suburban counties you should avoid most of Camden. There are rare exceptions, downtown/waterfront for example. Also, Chester City south of I-95 is pretty rough. The area north of 95, around Widener University, is fine.

There are some other parts of the suburbs that get a bad rap but IMO it's overblown. Darby Borough is maybe the only place that really deserves its reputation. The rest of eastern Delaware Co (that borders the city) are working class towns full of blue collar white, blacks, latinos, and asians and a lot of upper-middle class folks from Chester and Montgomery County like to look down their noses at those towns but they're not the violent, crime-ridden places that they're made out to be, they're just not as wealthy as places further out.

There are parts of Lower Bucks County (near the river) than can be a little seedy. They've had some meth problems in the past but there's not much in the way of violent crime.

I used to live in SC and knew a lot of people from the Atlanta area. I'm familiar with all of the disparaging comments people from the ATL suburbs make about the city. It's no different here.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
this is usually helpful - 237 murders so far....well as far as what the PPD has decided to report

Philadelphia Police Department :: Headquarters
Let me guess, you live in the northeast?

Old 09-17-2008, 02:16 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
Let me guess, you live in the northeast?
no way! QV (no offense NE folks)

big fan of the area...South street, Headhouse, etc..

Old 09-17-2008, 02:25 PM

Sorry FromGA I just reread your post a little further up and saw that you said you were planning on moving to the suburbs.

Then why worry about crime in the city?

If you have kids most people here will tell you to avoid certain school districts, not towns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
no way! QV

big fan of the area...South street, Headhouse, etc..
Just wondering why you would suggest that the PPD is fudging the murder stats? Just because certain topics get more press than they used to doesn't mean that it's happening more often.

Old 09-17-2008, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
Sorry FromGA I just reread your post a little further up and saw that you said you were planning on moving to the suburbs.

Then why worry about crime in the city?
As I told Tone509, I was asking just to understand the metro area. Your response was probably more detailed than I intended to ask for, but appreciated and useful. Thanks!

Old 09-17-2008, 03:38 PM

29 posts, read 119,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGA View Post
Is there any 2008 stats for Philadelphia crime online? How is the new Mayoral adminstration viewed?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia