Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 08:08 AM

1,623 posts, read 6,527,100 times

Advertisements

wudder, crick, chock-late, ac-a-me, d-awe-g, Iggles, naasty...

Jersey is more like NY chaw-klate, daw-g...

I got terrible abuse when I came to LA with my Delco/South Philly accent...after a few months living there, when I would hear my Mom on the answering machine, I would cringe: "Yo, Baab, it's me Maam, pickup da fone!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 08:45 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
I've lost most of my Philly accent from living other places, athough when I go back to visit, I hear it coming back a little. I too cringe sometimes when I talk to my relatives on the phone.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:58 AM

1,288 posts, read 4,936,841 times
I never thought I had any accent until a friend from Cali pointed out a little one..."come awww-won" being the big one for me. I do say "wudder" occasionally, which isn't good when you work in the water industry.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:24 AM

983 posts, read 2,773,676 times
Jim Cramer ("Mad Money") has a serious Philly accent. (He's a little angry in this clip)

YouTube - MARKET MELTDOWN

Chris Matthews also has a strong Philly accent

YouTube - Chris Matthews Hardball: Questioning 'phony outrage' over lipstick (Part 1)

Quote:
Jersey is more like NY chaw-klate, daw-g...
That's NORTH Jersey. South Jersey people don't talk that way...we have more of a Philly accent.

Old 10-02-2008, 11:12 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,897,003 times
I'ved lived in LA for the past 12 years & BE-lieve me...People from other places notice. When I talk with family & friends from Philly on the phone I can hear it clearly. When I meet people from Philly, especially those that just moved here their accents ring out like a bell. (LOL)
Even I get razzed for saying WAR-ter, or Caw-fee, where New Yorkers will say Cough-fie. I was just watching an episode of Judge Mathis and as soon as the plantiffs/defendants opened their mouths I could tell where they were from. Sure enough they mentioned something about eating strombolis.

Old 10-02-2008, 11:21 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,982,950 times
Chris Matthews definitely has a philly accent but I don't think it's that strong. I think he tones it down for television.
For a lot of people from NJ I don't think they would recognize Matthews' TV accent as being different.
I have some relatives who go back several generations in the Asbury Park/Eatontown area and the older people sound more south jersey than north jersey
and even with the younger ones it's a strange mix. I think when you get south outside of the 287 loop you lose a lot of those New Yawk affectations so most people from say, Somerset or Hunterdon or Monmouth or Mercer probably wouldn't notice unless you pointed it out.

Old 10-02-2008, 11:41 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,715,221 times
My mother did her best to beat the accent out of me, so I assumed I never had one, but once I came to VA I found out different. It's not strong, and most can't place it, but I've had more than a few stop me and ask "where are you from?". I even had the security guard at work in DC stop me the other day (I've worked here over a year) and ask where I grew up. He said he knew it wasn't NY or NJ, but somewhere "that also talks fast."

Old 10-02-2008, 11:46 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,517,217 times
Jim Cramer doesn't have an accent but he worked in NYC for a long time. Truth is, someone in NC came up to me one day and asked if I was from the Philly area because of my accent. So there's got to be something to it.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:22 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,527,100 times
Ah South Jersey IS Philly, I was referring to Tren-en and points north...

I can always tell on those home improvement shows and baby shows where the people are from - Mtv True Life had a show on mental illness and I could pick out the accents and homes a mile away...

As for Jim Cramer and Chris Matthews they most certainly do have Philly accents - thick ones.

I was once asked if I was from Ohio! by a girl from Kentucky - to her the accent sounded the same!

Old 10-02-2008, 12:25 PM

1,983 posts, read 7,517,217 times
Yeah, I think you're right. It's been some time since listened to Mr. Boo-yah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia