Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2009, 02:22 PM

608 posts, read 1,708,221 times

Advertisements

I'm in the midst of a job search and I'm not ruling out too many places. Philadelphia has a lot of companies that I might be able to target, so I'm strongly considering it. I've hung out in Philly before, but I don't know much about the best places to live in the area and the cost of living. So here are my two big questions:

(1) How does cost of living in Philly compare to Washington, DC and Baltimore, MD?

(2) I like living in urban areas with lots of things to do. However, I'm open to living in the suburbs if it's significantly less expensive and there are not lots of great options in the city. But if I do live in the 'burbs, I still want to be close to the city. Are there areas in the city itself that might appeal to me? If the city is a poor option, what other areas might I consider? (The companies I'm looking at are all in the Pennsylvania areas; none on the Jersey side, but feel free to throw me some Jersey options anyway if you'd like.)

For anyone familiar with Baltimore, some of the areas I really like there are Patterson Park, Canton, Fells Point, Hampden, and Charles Village. The commonality is that they are densely populated areas, reasonably safe (even if there's some crime), lots of younger people, close to the heart of the city, property is reasonable, and all the areas have really spectacularly awesome rowhouses! Ignoring the fact that I'm not going to find a B'more rowhouse in Philly, any comparable areas, otherwise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 01:14 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,817,249 times
It's in between Baltimore and DC, generally speaking. I think you should consider Manayunk, west philly (say, 44th to 48th, walnut to baltimore...cedar park?), spring garden (fairmount ave to spring garden, art museum to broad), south philly (east of broad), northern liberties. are you renting or buying?

Old 06-28-2009, 01:54 PM

608 posts, read 1,708,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
It's in between Baltimore and DC, generally speaking. I think you should consider Manayunk, west philly (say, 44th to 48th, walnut to baltimore...cedar park?), spring garden (fairmount ave to spring garden, art museum to broad), south philly (east of broad), northern liberties. are you renting or buying?
Probably renting for a bit, but I will consider buying sometime within the next year or two.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:49 AM

5 posts, read 21,376 times
The suburbs of Philly can be just as expensive as the city. I would avoid Spring Garden. It can be kinda rough there in the evening time. What is your price range? There are places in the city that are not too expensive but in good neighborhoods. I would look at Washington Square West. It is in a pretty part of the city and very affordable. Avoid north Philly or Southwest Philly if you can. DO NOT RENT FROM GREEN STREET OR SIGNATURE COMMUNITY. WORST PROPERTY MANAGEMENT COMPANY EVER. We have had TERRIBLE problems from them.

Old 07-03-2009, 06:38 PM

2 posts, read 14,873 times
I am moving to the Philly area from Alaska. I grew up in NJ. We'll be staying in NJ with my parents while we look for a place to buy in the Philly area. I have a 5 year old, so safety and schools are tops on my mind. My boyfriend is a graphic designer and has located a few web jobs in the area already. What are the nicest areas that are affordable for first time buyers?

Old 07-05-2009, 02:28 AM

27 posts, read 112,691 times
@the OP, you'd probably like Queen Village or Bella Vista, maybe Northern Liberties. A lot of cool bars and restaurants, just a little crime (don't walk around at 3 AM drunk and listening to your iPod), young crowd, and close to the city. It can get expensive though, but there are deals to be had.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:57 AM

10 posts, read 33,495 times
Jakila, West Mt. Airy is a nice area. Also Bella Vista and Passyunk Square which are part of South Philly. I lived for a time in Balto (Bolton Hill, is that still an area?). Actually there are lots of homes that compare to the homes in Balto. Since both cities were relatively settled around the same time, many old federal type homes exist. The Center City area has many examples. Good luck in your job search. I hope you move to Philly, it gets a bad rap, but is a very enjoyable city to live in.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:18 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,817,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniredsox View Post
The suburbs of Philly can be just as expensive as the city. I would avoid Spring Garden. It can be kinda rough there in the evening time. What is your price range? There are places in the city that are not too expensive but in good neighborhoods. I would look at Washington Square West. It is in a pretty part of the city and very affordable. Avoid north Philly or Southwest Philly if you can. DO NOT RENT FROM GREEN STREET OR SIGNATURE COMMUNITY. WORST PROPERTY MANAGEMENT COMPANY EVER. We have had TERRIBLE problems from them.
I take it you haven't been to spring garden in ten years. the biggest downside to spring garden these days is it's expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia