Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 08:23 PM

5 posts, read 18,558 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Looking for some housing advice. We are currently looking to purchase a home and have seen three houses that we like. One is in Morrisville, pa another in Doylestown, pa, and another in Ivyland Pa. I commute to Jersey. It goes that the Doylestown house is the longest commute and the smallest, the Morrisville is the nicest house with the shortest commute but I have concerns about the town itself (it's in the morristown school district) but it's in a nice neighborhood. Ivyland is a mix between the two.

I'd be happy to hear any opinons or thoughts especially if Morrisville is getting better or worse.

Much thanks, happy posting.

-Jim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 08:00 PM

34 posts, read 100,995 times
I would stay away from Morrisville. Ivyland and Doylestown are much better choices.

Old 07-06-2009, 01:04 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,889,092 times
I'm in one of the nicer areas of Morrisville. The school district is bad (at least from 5th grade up) but I don't have kids. But at least in the nicer areas of town, I'd say that things are getting better.

People that have moved into town have done a lot of improvements on their homes and yards. Many are dual-income professional couples. The ones with kids often opt for a Catholic school or a private school. Lots of us walk our dogs around town every evening, and others are out there walking their baby strollers. We're also getting more gay couples moving in (and there may be something to that stereotype that when gay men move in, property values go up! The gay couples seem to have the most beautiful houses in the neighborhood. Again, I hate to stereotype people, but this is a positive).

The biggest problems in Morrisville are the proximity of some parts of town to Trenton, the cigarette stores that draw tons of NJ smokers into town, and the apartment complexes. But oddly, most of the apartment complexes are technically in Falls Twp. There is some weird phenomenon with "islands" of Falls Twp surrounded by Morrisville Borough. The questionable apts ironically get to go to the better school district, Pennsbury, where they give the rest of us in Morrisville a bad reputation.

So if you are in a nice section of town, not walking distance to Trenton, and not next to an apartment complex, you may be okay.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:51 PM

Thanks. The place we were looking at is, in my opinion, within walking distance. Maybe a couple blocks up from the bridges. Shame about the school district. I grew up north in New Hope and the school district was (at least then) about the size of Morrisville and they made it work (though big $$$ up there). I always liked small schools.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:37 PM

183 posts, read 631,808 times
If you commute to NJ you would be crazy to pick D-town or Ivyland. Take a look at homes for sale in Levittown, Langhorne, and especially Yardley. You will enjoy the Pennsbury school district. Good luck.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:20 PM

2 posts, read 6,212 times
These other areas can not compare to Doylestown for the quality of living. The area and the school district is great. I wouldn't live anywhere else.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:03 PM

692 posts, read 2,350,885 times
I agree w the other posters.. Unfortunately even though some parts of Morrisville are very nice, you really have to avoid the part that goes to Morrisville Schools. Not just because the schools arent very good but also because the taxes are INSANE. Since they just have the one school system for such a small town, you're paying a ton in school taxes. It's rumoured that one day morrisville and pennsbury will combine, which if that happens, you'll wind up in very very good schools.. but it's not worth taking the chance on that occuring. Ivyland isnt bad, but is a hike from commuting to NJ, so is Doylestown. As far as quality though on your list I would go with Doylestown, but prepare for an hour commute to NJ. Honestly I would say you should narrow your search down to Yardley/Newtown/Langhorne area.. Much quicker commute to NJ and also very good schools (pennsbury council rock and neshaminy are all very good, council rock being the best, which is where newtown/richboro kids go to school). Hope that helped!

Old 07-22-2009, 08:30 PM

Hey all, (and ooodsie) thanks for the replies.

We ended up talking with some folks in Mville and while we loved the house (and the commute) it was too big a risk. We took a look in Yardley (and Newtown). I like both areas but Yardley is pricey for what we can afford there. Newtown boro has some nice places but they are either out of our price range or snapped up really fast. The townhouses around it are cool but... I don't know. I'm just not into the townhouses for now. Also the Ivyland place is out only because while the area was nice is was just too quiet. Goodness sakes they need to put a town in Ivyland (shops, coffee, something) and it would be amazing (feel free to yell at me if I missed said coffee shops).

So... yeah, still looking at D-town. The commute is crazy. We rent there right now and I make it to work in about 50 minutes, sometimes less, occasionally more. I just like the town so much. Walked through the whole residential section with the wife a week ago and every soul said "hello" or "hi". There are coffee shops instead of tabacco stores, lawyers (county seat) instead of bailbondsman offices. Soo hard. Maybe a nice twin in Newtown will pop up.

Will keep everyone posted. Thanks for all the info and keep posting if you have any insights!

Old 07-23-2009, 08:41 AM

692 posts, read 2,350,885 times
Just out of curiousity, whats your price range? Yardley may not be as far out of it as you think.

Old 08-24-2009, 01:48 PM

Price range.

I'd feel comfortable at 300k. However we could go to 350k. Above that and I would start to feel bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia