Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ....
YES! 25 40.32%
NO! 37 59.68%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 05:29 AM

767 posts, read 2,066,815 times

Advertisements

Vick had to go to a rough, hardcore, non-PC type town. I think that Philly probably fits that bill. Other places that would have probably fit the bill for Vick are Detroit, Oakland, St. Louis, or New Orleans (but they don't need a QB). I don't think there is any way that he could make it in more PC areas like New York City, San Francisco, or San Diego. He woulod also have had problems in the conservative smaller markets like Green Bay, Buffalo, and Cincinnati. Philly is a hard core town. So Vick should do fine there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 06:25 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,718,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
what examples are being set for our children who are involved in any kind of sports?
Seems a little demented to me.
Maybe raise your own kids? Let them idolize someone a little closer to Earth? These guys aren't gods or angels. Sure you can admire their athleticism (well, except for those who are a little "chemically enhanced"), but I never quite understood idolizing professional athletes just because they know how to play a game and sweat.

I'd say you could also teach them about forgiveness or how to pick yourself up after getting yourself down, but...

Old 08-18-2009, 07:21 AM

604 posts, read 2,011,786 times
Aren't the parents on this forum confident that they are good role models for their children .. why must the atheletes be responsible to be the hero ...

Making a devastating hit - like LT made on Wash. QB - is openly praised by the parent in front of his/her children as "what a hit!!!" - s/he is responsible for making the drug using LT to be a hero in his/her child's mind - the responsibility is not on LT to be drug-free, it is the parents' responsibility to teach their children to choose their "heros".

Old 08-18-2009, 11:30 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,663,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
Maybe raise your own kids? Let them idolize someone a little closer to Earth? These guys aren't gods or angels. Sure you can admire their athleticism (well, except for those who are a little "chemically enhanced"), but I never quite understood idolizing professional athletes just because they know how to play a game and sweat.

I'd say you could also teach them about forgiveness or how to pick yourself up after getting yourself down, but...
Excuse me, this is about a demented creep who did demonic things to defenseless animals.
I raised my child right, to respect all animalkind. He was raised with a dog by his side and he knows better.
My child does not follow nor has he any interest in football because of the players and their bad reputations! What does that tell you? He has no respect for any of them. In life you earn respect.
Vick was abusing animals in his garage as a kid and his Mom knew about it. What does that tell you. This kid needed psychiatric help at a young age. (so did the mother)

Old 08-18-2009, 11:41 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,718,673 times
Quote:
Excuse me, this is about a demented creep who did demonic things to defenseless animals.
I raised my child right, to respect all animalkind. He was raised with a dog by his side and he knows better.
My child does not follow nor has he any interest in football because of the players and their bad reputations! What does that tell you? He has no respect for any of them. In life you earn respect.
Vick was abusing animals in his garage as a kid and his Mom knew about it. What does that tell you. This kid needed psychiatric help at a young age. (so did the mother)
You wondered about the examples being set for kids, and I was just saying that you (not "you" personally, a general "you") should set your own examples for kids, instead of leaving it to celebrities.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:52 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,384,153 times
Quote:
Given where he grew up, "psychiatric help" was probably the furthest thing from his parents' minds. Things like putting food on the table and keeping the kids from being shot at by drug dealers probably took precedence. Poor inner city kids often suffer from mental problems because of the stress they face on a daily basis, and they almost never get psychiatric help of any kind.

This doesn't in any way justify his actions, but I don't think you can say "oh he should have gotten psychiatric help" when no one in his situation ever does.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:11 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,663,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
Given where he grew up, "psychiatric help" was probably the furthest thing from his parents' minds. Things like putting food on the table and keeping the kids from being shot at by drug dealers probably took precedence. Poor inner city kids often suffer from mental problems because of the stress they face on a daily basis, and they almost never get psychiatric help of any kind.

This doesn't in any way justify his actions, but I don't think you can say "oh he should have gotten psychiatric help" when no one in his situation ever does.
Of course he could not have been afforded the mental care. I was just stating someone who does horrendous things like this to helpless animals is psychotic.

Old 12-06-2009, 01:14 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
Vick just got a huge ovation from the fans in Atlanta when he scored his first TD for the Eagles.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:52 AM

145 posts, read 224,703 times
I didn't at first - but I guess everyone deserves a second chance (especially after the way he played this weekend) . And yes, I'm a dog owner and love animals.

Old 12-07-2009, 05:34 PM

21 posts, read 64,099 times
Quote:
*Reality*
Agreed... this idiot (literally) should have faced the SAME legal institution that we all typically face, but since he's affluent and is a major marketing commodity, he gets a slap on the wrist for something the rest of us would be long gone for 5-10yrs over! Forget this STUPID, abusive dunce... stop worshiping these dullards like they are deities; MOST of the athletes in pro sports are stupid as rocks and about as civil as caveman; but their HANDLERS step in when they want to reveal their true-colors, to keep the public mystified. He throws a ball to another person, BIG DEAL.

He's only "sorry" b/c he got caught, just like the other affluent criminals in this country. Society is BETTER OFF w/o him and his self-inflicted woes. So, what if he didn't get caught? Would he turn himself in... or like most wealthy criminals; try and write a book later on, confessing his sins and of course, PROFITING from them(?)! Lets not forget there was major money (illegal betting) being made from the TORTURE of animals: He's an animal himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia