Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 08:11 PM

102 posts, read 232,359 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

My wife and I are moving to Philly later this month so she can start a physical therapy program at Arcadia. We already found an apartment in Germantown. From what I understand it's an okay, but not great area to live. The apartment is nice, though, and there's parking, which is important considering we'll both be driving out to the burbs a lot for work (me) and school (her). From my limited experience, though, driving downtown is much less fun - especially when it comes to parking.

How painless, in your experience, is the public transport in Philly. Buses? Train? Trolly??? Are the time tables online reliable? Do you have any other general tips for getting around the city without paying crazy parking fees?

I'm originally from NYC, and I love the subway there, but I am guessing the system in Philly is not quite as all encompassing. I also have experience with the T in Boston (pretty good), and the metro in Buffalo (pretty limited).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2017, 08:16 PM

840 posts, read 692,637 times
I think the transit here is great, the subways are obviously nowhere near as big as MTA in NY however our regional rail lines (out to the burbs) is better than LIRR and Metro North which I've used quite a bit as that I live just south of Philly and in Queens.

The trains run on time, and the subways are 24 hrs on Friday and Saturday only (hopefully this will change) but between midnight and 5 am they have a "night owl" bus that mimics the subway topside.

Where will you need to go in the burbs btw Arcadia Univ ?

Old 05-02-2017, 11:27 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,587,061 times
In Germantown, you have access to the Chestnut Hill East and Chestnut Hill West Regional Rail Lines. Just find the station closest to where you will be living. They both will take you to Suburban Station (16th and JFK) and Jefferson Station (11th and Market). Trains for the most part are very reliable.

Old 05-03-2017, 03:02 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,225,960 times
Germantown is one of the best public transit neighborhoods outside of Center City.

You have the two regional rail lines, which are okay (weekends aren't great - running either every 60 minutes or 90 minutes depending on day and line). They don't run that close together yet in Germantown - so depending on where you live you may only really have access to one of them.

You have the 23, H, XH, and 53 buses running through Germantown connecting to the Broad Street Line at Broad and Erie. You also have the Chelten Avenue buses, some of which also connect to the BSL elsewhere. Once you're downtown you can get most anywhere else nearby easily on the buses and subway.

One also could go to Arcadia if you wanted using public transit not that difficultly, by the way.

I lived in Germantown for a few years without a car, and now live in Mt Airy, further up, without a car.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:27 AM

102 posts, read 232,359 times
Cool! Thanks guys. Do the regional rails connect to the subways?

Old 05-03-2017, 09:51 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,487,836 times
Yes. Suburban Station connects to the Broad Street Line and 5 of the Subway-Trolley Lines, and Jefferson Station connects to the Market-Frankford Line.

Also, 30th Street Station is right across the street from the 30th Street Market-Frankford subway stop.

Old 05-03-2017, 10:00 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,754,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxwolf View Post
Cool! Thanks guys. Do the regional rails connect to the subways?
Yes. The major connections are from the Suburban Station ( regional rail) underground concourse to both the Market Frankford Line (MFL), Broad St Line(BSL) and trolleys(run underground in Center City) to W. Philly. The second " connection" is from 30th
St Station(Amtrak and Septa RR) to just the MFL and trolleys. You will need to exit 30th St Station street level to get the MFL and trolleys.

In addition to the MFL and BSL there is also Patco which is a subway in CC and travels across the BF bridge to NJ.

Old 05-03-2017, 11:35 AM

744 posts, read 775,096 times
Where in the burbs will you be driving for work?

Old 05-03-2017, 12:59 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,587,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansastoSouthphilly View Post
Where in the burbs will you be driving for work?
Arcadia is in Glenside.

Old 05-03-2017, 01:37 PM

744 posts, read 775,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarlig View Post
Arcadia is in Glenside.

I know that, my understanding is that the OP's wife will be going to school at Acadia. The firsts post just states that the OP will be "be driving out to the burbs a lot for work." The viability of public transit from germantown would depend greatly on which suburb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia