Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 08:16 AM

33 posts, read 73,613 times

Advertisements

Been to chestnut Hill quite some times but my husband doesn't want to live there. I love it there! He says the commute to city centre would still be to long. He works in the cira centre.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 06:36 AM

596 posts, read 1,707,286 times
I would second Fitler Square. Your husband could walk to work from there. It's a hidden gem of a neighborhood.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:05 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,781,978 times
Let's face it, none of these other places are the equal of Society Hill. If you can afford it, no other neighborhood has the beauty and charm found there.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
Let's face it, none of these other places are the equal of Society Hill. If you can afford it, no other neighborhood has the beauty and charm found there.

We were in SH Sunday again to look for open houses. And We both just love it there. We also talked to some people on the streets living there and they all are very happy with it.

So your comment is probably true..at least for us.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:01 PM

32 posts, read 105,951 times
If you choose Society Hill, don't automatically write off your local public school, McCall Elementary. Earlier you said that your husband would not consider public schools. But as a parent at McCall, I have found it to be a fantastic neighborhood public school with great parents, involved students and fantastic teachers. It is filled with kids from the neighborhood. This zone encompasses the Chinatown section of the city, so the school is approximately half Chinese. While some people might not want their child to be a minority (assuming you are not Chinese) I have found the racial balance to be absolutely wonderful for my kids. I would certainly answer any specific questions you might have about the school.

But, before you automatically pull the trigger on private schools, I would encourage you and your husband to at least tour the school and talk to other parents. The Philadelphia School District is considered "bad", and does have many horrible schools. But there are some real gems out there and can confidently say that McCall is one of them.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:39 PM

Okay then! Thank you for your useful response! It would indeed be very nice if there would be a fari amount of other children from SH. I was in a school myself with a lot of kids from my own neighbourhood and loved it! I wish te same thing for my daughter. No, half Chinese is not a problem at all. I too think it is only beneficial to child to see other 'colours' around her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia