Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 05:56 PM

362 posts, read 665,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
IMO I think Chicago and Philadelphia are almost a toss up. You could make the case for either one but most people would probably give the slight edge to Chicago. I don't think Chicago is undisputably more urban than Philly as you claim. I think only NYC can boldly claim that title.
here are some facts, not opinions....
Chicago has a significantly larger downtown, alot more people living in high density areas, and a much larger urban foot print(or densely populated areas). Also, It has the second most extensive transit system making it the second most built-up city in the US.

You can cut out a section of the north side that is nearly 38 sq. and get a population of over 800,000.... And that is not including the west or south sides of the city.

BUT..... I'd rather live in Philly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 08:03 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOOK MA NO HANDS View Post
here are some facts, not opinions....
Chicago has a significantly larger downtown, alot more people living in high density areas, and a much larger urban foot print(or densely populated areas). Also, It has the second most extensive transit system making it the second most built-up city in the US.

You can cut out a section of the north side that is nearly 38 sq. and get a population of over 800,000.... And that is not including the west or south sides of the city.

BUT..... I'd rather live in Philly
more people live in downtown philly than downtown chicago, so there's that

Old 10-17-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
more people live in downtown philly than downtown chicago, so there's that

LOL it isn't

I don't understand how people on these forums make statements like these without facts....

Old 10-18-2012, 12:32 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,541,261 times
i'd still love to visit chicago

the elusive big american city

Old 10-18-2012, 06:22 AM

Quote:

LOL it isn't

I don't understand how people on these forums make statements like these without facts....
actually, it is. I love when people pretend to know things
Metropolitan statistical area
Population less than
2 miles from city hall
Table 3.7 Chicago 181,714 (after rapid growth of 36%), Philadelphia 235,529
http://www.census.gov/prod/cen2010/r...c2010sr-01.pdf

that's why ten years ago chicago's downtown was quiet after hours, as you've alluded to,the north side is very dense, and the south side is emptying out.
a common miconception, Philadelphia is the third most populous downtown after NY and San Francisco, not Chicago.

Old 10-18-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Population less than
2 miles from city hall

that's why ten years ago chicago's downtown was quiet after hours, as you've alluded to,the north side is very dense, and the south side is emptying out.
a common miconception, Philadelphia is the third most populous downtown after NY and San Francisco, not Chicago.

Another deluded poster/booster who can not stand it when Philly doesn't come out on top.

Well this is a Philly forum so I was expecting this.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:23 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,652,988 times
Quote:
Population less than
2 miles from city hall

Not sure if this data is compiled somewhere, but it would be interesting to compare the daytime populations of each.

Since I think when most people say "downtown Chicago", they mean the Loop, which is more purely a CBD. Whereas when people say downtown Philadelphia, they mean Center City, which is basically the CBD plus the dense residential neighborhoods around it. A bit of apples and oranges.

Chicago certainly has the larger CBD, but the core of Philadelphia has always been densely residential in nature, and the census data reflects that.

Also, I think it's fair to point out that (with the method used in those census stats) drawing a 2 mile radius from City Hall in NYC or Chicago is going to give you a fairly distorted population count, since those City Halls are both less than a mile from large bodies of water.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:

Another deluded poster/booster who can not stand it when Philly doesn't come out on top.

Well this is a Philly forum so I was expecting this.
in neither scenario does philly come out on top, talk about deluded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
Not sure if this data is compiled somewhere, but it would be interesting to compare the daytime populations of each.

Since I think when most people say "downtown Chicago", they mean the Loop, which is more purely a CBD. Whereas when people say downtown Philadelphia, they mean Center City, which is basically the CBD plus the dense residential neighborhoods around it. A bit of apples and oranges.

Chicago certainly has the larger CBD, but the core of Philadelphia has always been densely residential in nature, and the census data reflects that.

Also, I think it's fair to point out that (with the method used in those census stats) drawing a 2 mile radius from City Hall in NYC or Chicago is going to give you a fairly distorted population count, since those City Halls are both less than a mile from large bodies of water.
the thing that strikes you most about chicago is the sheer number of office buildings, that's really lacking in Philadelphia. people often forget just how dense san francisco is and how many people live there. obviously the meaning of "downtown" is difficult to pin down. I don't know why people get so upset that their town isn't number one or two and some people seem to have a problem with Philadelphia have anything good.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
in neither scenario does philly come out on top, talk about deluded.
You just stated that Philly comes on top of Chicago's population( which it doesn't)

[quote=the thing that strikes you most about chicago is the sheer number of office buildings, that's really lacking in Philadelphia. people often forget just how dense san francisco is and how many people live there. obviously the meaning of "downtown" is difficult to pin down. I don't know why people get so upset that their town isn't number one or two and some people seem to have a problem with Philadelphia have anything good.[/quote]

1. You listed a inaccurate source of information that has Lake Michigan included in the 2 sq. mile radius
2. i don't like Chicago but am going to defend because it deserves credit where credit is due
3. lol. I'm not getting upset. You just cant face the fact that our city isn't as urban as u want it to be.

Downtown Chicago numbers
Near North: 80,000
Loop: 30,000
West Loop: 55,000
South Loop: 21,000
Total: 186,000

Let me know if you need more info because i have plenty buddy

Old 10-19-2012, 03:34 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
Quote:
You just stated that Philly comes on top of Chicago's population( which it doesn't)

1. You listed a inaccurate source of information that has Lake Michigan included in the 2 sq. mile radius
2. i don't like Chicago but am going to defend because it deserves credit where credit is due
3. lol. I'm not getting upset. You just cant face the fact that our city isn't as urban as u want it to be.

Downtown Chicago numbers
Near North: 80,000
Loop: 30,000
West Loop: 55,000
South Loop: 21,000
Total: 186,000

Let me know if you need more info because i have plenty buddy
You may have a point in that Chicago, like Atlanta, has "two" downtowns, the other being the Loop. However, the number you provided are comparable to what pman's census figures show which would seem to prove that in terms of sheer residents, Philadelphia has more in its downtown area. So you're both right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia