Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 10:53 AM

1,755 posts, read 3,000,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Look. No stranger has ever knocked on my door or walked up to me in the street and asked "Have you rejected the false dogma of the organized church yet?" or handed me a flyer explaining why I need to reject the Lord.
I experience that a lot here on these boards tbh. But I could also say the same that in real life, no one has ever come up to me and asked me if I've accepted the Lord as my Savior as well. Amazing, right? But I have never EVER experienced this. Most people do not care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 11:25 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,503,218 times
My experience, and those of many I know that aren't religious, is religious people offend us on a regular basis. They think it's so great they should sell it to us. Then when we tell them our views they mock us and say they will pray for us.

Unless someone is in an area that is dominated by liberals, SF NYC I have never seen non-believers trying to get religious types to drink their kool-aid it's the other way around.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalite View Post
no one has ever come up to me and asked me if I've accepted the Lord as my Savior as well.
Well I have had that happens about 10 times in my life, and 2-3 in the last 12 months. I live in conservative part of Denver Metro. The worst is people that know we aren't religious say we will pray for you. I think they mean well, but it's a bit rude and arrogant to say that. I guess I could respond in kind and say thanks but I don't believe in your false prophet.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:05 PM

487 posts, read 897,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
This may be true (or it might not be), but if it is true, I suspect it is true for one of two reasons: either the religious person is being nice because he wants to score points with god, OR he is being nice because he wants to recruit you into his church.
Hahaha sooo true!

Old 03-22-2013, 01:07 PM

487 posts, read 897,746 times
Yes I've been attempted to be converted by Mormons and Christians several times.

I think it's only fair that the Atheists band together, make a neat pamphlet, and try converting everyone to Atheism.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohanna View Post
Yes I've been attempted to be converted by Mormons and Christians several times.

I think it's only fair that the Atheists band together, make a neat pamphlet, and try converting everyone to Atheism.
Just for fun I think I will tell the next bible thumper.......................I am the priest at my own church, the church of Satan

I am good at spotting them at the door so they are easy to avoid.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:31 PM

50,403 posts, read 64,129,909 times
They are both offensive.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:48 PM

588 posts, read 797,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
On the other hand, saying someone is going to go to hell is like telling them that when they go to sleep the bogey man is going to come in and do surgery on them and remove their sole from their spleen, or telling them that their mother will break her back if they step on a crack in the sidewalk. It's not going to happen, so why is this imaginary threat offensive?
It is offensive because these Christians believe that atheists rightfully and deservedly will be tortured forever. In my book, no one deserves unrelenting, unending torture. It is so barbaric.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:06 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,751,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Just for fun I think I will tell the next bible thumper.......................I am the priest at my own church, the church of Satan

I am good at spotting them at the door so they are easy to avoid.
In my experience this just makes them 10 times more determined to save you.

Honestly I just refuse to deal with people like this anymore. I don't criticize or question the beliefs of my friends who are Christian or Jewish and I expect them to leave me alone on the subject as well. This works with the people I know and if someone new comes along pushing religion on me I just refuse to deal with them at all.

I did deal with a super pushy guy once, at a convenience store where I was pumping gas into my car. He came up trying to sell loaves of bread for his church group. Fine, whatever, I said no thanks, but he then tried to start preaching to me... I told him something along the lines of "Hey, you know, people do have beliefs that differ from yours, you might want to respect that.." and he responds with "You mean someone is Catholic, or Methodist? That's fine!" and I was like "Um no, I meant that some people do not believe in the entire idea of God, or of the Christian God, at ALL." and the guy was just flabbergasted, never crossed his MIND I guess. It was weird. How can someone be so ignorant? Have your beliefs, I don't care, just realize that they aren't shared by all. Seems simple enough.

My uncle is Mormon and has been forever, very active in his church and all that but we manage to co-exist and hang out and have a great time together without any sort of religious debates and no one getting offended, even though I am a quasi-pagan bisexual in a same sex marriage! I know he truly thinks I am going to hell and it makes him sad, but he doesn't tell me about it, so I don't make fun of his sacred underwear either. It's just about respect.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:05 PM

Sally I live around tons of Mormons the best thing about them is they are so well mannered and they offered to shovel our snow after a blizzard. So I don't bother them no their ten speed pilgrimidge
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy