Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 04:05 AM

487 posts, read 896,361 times

Advertisements

What's more offensive, me calling Christians crazy or Christians telling me, as an atheist, that I will spend eternity burning in flames?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 06:16 AM

442 posts, read 800,247 times
More often than not, religious people are easier to get along with than proud atheists.

Last edited by franklin_mac; 03-22-2013 at 06:35 AM..

Old 03-22-2013, 06:19 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
More offensive? To Whom? You have a right to your opinion and others have a right to theirs.

You also have a right to keep your mouth shut about what you believe. It's offensive to others when you feel that you have to let them know that you think they are crazy. No one knows for sure....but you might spend eternity doing nothing but feeding the worms.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:11 AM

3,052 posts, read 2,923,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohanna View Post
What's more offensive, me calling Christians crazy or Christians telling me, as an atheist, that I will spend eternity burning in flames?
I feel both situations to be rather offensive, which one more than the other would likely depend on an individual's personal perspective. I feel though, that you have likely run into some "false" Christians--there are many of them out there who wish to place themselves in the judgment seat of God. These people are giving Christians a bad reputation, and it is no wonder that those not blessed by faith have a generally negative impression of believers in Christ. My own impression is that as a group, Christians have largely fell away from Scripture-based teachings and have adopted many doctrines of men; but then I have not done any research into it and it remains a vague impression I get from the things I pick up from society. Something which seems so certain to me (yet which again, I cannot know for sure unless I go out and research it) is the profound biblical illiteracy of Christians; I really hope I am wrong about that, or if I am not that it will change over time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin_mac View Post
More often than not, religious people are easier to get along with than proud atheists.
One thing I found illogical about atheists is their request of Christians to validate their faith by proof of God when the very meaning of faith is to believe without proof. I feel this should have been a very obvious fact to me, yet as an adolescent I was swayed very heavily by this request.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:12 AM

11,755 posts, read 14,644,267 times
I think that telling religious people that they are crazy is a bit more offensive because crazy is a real thing and hell is a figment of their imagination.

Although I am tempted to think that religious or other superstitious people are crazy or stupid, I think it's unproductive, and even counter productive, to say so. I think it's also inaccurate. I know plenty of people who are religious and are smart, not stupid. They just happen to not be able to think rationally or to challenge the indoctrination they received as children in this particular area, but that's not the same as being either crazy or stupid. Calling them crazy or stupid is needlessly insulting.

On the other hand, saying someone is going to go to hell is like telling them that when they go to sleep the bogey man is going to come in and do surgery on them and remove their sole from their spleen, or telling them that their mother will break her back if they step on a crack in the sidewalk. It's not going to happen, so why is this imaginary threat offensive?

(The only counterpoint to this, which is a not insignificant one, is that someone who tells you you are going to hell presumably believes in the existence of an all-perfect god that decides who goes to hell, so saying that you're going to hell is another way of saying that you deserve to be punished for all eternity. I suspect that most religious people who say this don't think it through to this logical conclusion, though, any more than an atheist who calls a religious person crazy is prepared to supply a DSM diagnosis for the religious person's condition.) (Hint: probably delusional disorder, 297.1.) (Proviso: psychiatrists have told me that religious beliefs are by definition not delusions because they are consensually confirmed within the community.)

Old 03-22-2013, 08:19 AM

1,755 posts, read 2,996,141 times
Default Same Difference

I can't connect with either extremes and so i don't try to. At the core, it's both one and the same to me, each just approaches from a different angle.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:57 AM

43 posts, read 100,159 times
Quote:
Both is offensive.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:16 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,705,905 times
Quote:
My belief system is not so delicate and fragile that I can't tolerate someone vigorously disagreeing with me.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:23 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin_mac View Post
This may be true (or it might not be), but if it is true, I suspect it is true for one of two reasons: either the religious person is being nice because he wants to score points with god, OR he is being nice because he wants to recruit you into his church.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:48 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Look. No stranger has ever knocked on my door or walked up to me in the street and asked "Have you rejected the false dogma of the organized church yet?" or handed me a flyer explaining why I need to reject the Lord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy