Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 11:14 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,078,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post

Without a doubt people who grew up from the mid-90's through to today have enjoyed a United States that is incredibly stable, safe and secure, like no other generation has.
Yet, now, more than at any time since WWII, we are called upon for egregious displays of patriotism and exaggerated acknowledgements of heroes who are defending our liberty and way of life, from some unprecedentedly imaginary foe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 02:03 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,842,419 times
Blame the generation who raised them.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:22 PM

1,755 posts, read 3,000,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
Something I've noticed with the younger generations. Lack of commitment, self-absorbed, self-entitled, selfish and don't seem to believe in hard work but want high pay. I saw a report on the news that said that today's generation is very spoiled by their parents, with some parents even going on the interviews with their children. If ever there was anything so ridiculous.
I think it's true of my generation. We're coddled for a much much longer period of time.

It's a myriad of factors though. Television shows and celebrities show people leading glamorous lives and they aren't demonstrating how those people got there. They're glamorized and it just looks like it's suppose to be easy. Then there's access to internet and if you visit forums and online communities or if you simply have access to images on screen, you see that commitment is something they show people running from! Just go over to the relationships section of this forum and you'll read about bitter men whose marriages ended and they're so anti-marriage now it's pathetic. All of that builds into a person's psyche.

Combine that with helicopter parents who hover around their kids all the time spoon feeding their kids with this idea day after day that the world is a "dangerous place" and then trying to keep them from getting hurt, we're not always allowed to make a mistake and recover from it! Wanting to make everything softer, gentler, easier, and then popular psychology talking about the effects of certain harsh treatments on the psyche can also further this desire to be more politically correct so as to not do damage to a kid's self-esteem. But what toughens you up are challenges and if you aren't allowed to experience them, then you aren't given the opportunity to toughen up. *shrug*

So we're softer, our feelings get hurt much more easily, and knowing your parents are there to fall back on...it's easier to slip into that "entitled" mindset. Self-reliance goes further and further out the window.

But we aren't all like that as I'm sure you know.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:24 PM

1,755 posts, read 3,000,512 times
Quote:
I really question what parents are teaching their kids these days in terms of morals, values and so on. I grew up being taught that hard work was important no matter what type of job you got. These days the kids are so worried about what someone will think of them that they're too good to do certain types of jobs unless it pays LOTS of money.
Social networking plays a major role in this, btw. In the past, you messed up, you could move on by changing state. These days, what you put online stays online and it's like it goes on your permanent record for everyone to see. You can't just go home and feel safe after being bullied. You go home, come online, and the bullying continues there. So it's harder to get away from your mistakes. People don't like to accept change many times and online media makes it so that they can cling to more reasons not to.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:42 PM

362 posts, read 795,581 times
Damn entitled kid punks, back in my day there was no scholarships, I worked during the summer and it covered my entire tuition and I had a car to drive around and insurance was affordable. Damn punk kids want a high paying job as soon as they graduate. Back in my day, I got my high school diploma, got a job in the mail room, and worked my way up to ceo of a fortune 500. I am not entitled I just got easy things to fall in my lap despite being grossly underqualified. Punk kids think they should get a job just because they have 4 years more of training than me, who do you yunnings think you are, I will gum you to deaht.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:44 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,045,966 times
I know a few people in their 20s that live @ home & pay 0 rent & utilities. They work f/t & drive very nice new cars. I also know a lady in her early 50s that also lives @ home (near the coast) & pays 0 rent & utilites.

Many college grads feel they are entitled to jobs over people with no college education.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:32 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,324,684 times
Quote:
Something I've noticed with the younger generations. Lack of commitment, self-absorbed, self-entitled, selfish and don't seem to believe in hard work but want high pay. I saw a report on the news that said that today's generation is very spoiled by their parents, with some parents even going on the interviews with their children. If ever there was anything so ridiculous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
This is mostly made up.

But to the very limited extent that it isn't, it may have something to do with coming of age during both the "global war on terror" and the financial crisis, which have revealed our political and economic systems to be utter shams. We are therefore disinclined to play by rules that we know to be purely power-serving and without any moral legitimacy.

Most of us, of course, play by those rules anyway because we have to eat. Indeed, the laziest and most "entitled" people I encounter are much older.
Sincerely, I really am going to say this from my heart. I have raised three very beautiful and greateful children and perhaps they are the younger generation. Besides loving them dearly, I have worked very hard to do the best for them and help them as much as I possibly could/can, just as my parents did for me and my siblings. And yes, they also did the best that they could to help us get a leg up in this world as well, it is referred to as doing for your children what YOU can do for them and it is more than likely more than what your parents were capable of doing for you.

Did I spoil my children? I certainly don't think so. Did I raise them to believe that life is easy and everything good worth having comes easy? No, I most certainly did not. Would you like to know why and how I know these beliefs to be true? Because my children witnessed first hand how very important they were/are to me and their father and their extended families as well. They witnessed their parents and their families hard work ethos and their commitment to stay the course and make sacrifices to feed them, clothe them, pay for the necessities in life, keep a roof over their heads, and eat decent food together at the dinner table....every evening.

Why? Because the very things I did for my children are exactly the very things my parents did for me...to the very best of their ability and resources. And when it all comes down to it, isn't that what we all want for our children? The BEST that WE can do for our children? And let me be the first to say that the BEST is and always will be different for each family according to their generation, their resources and their ability.

But...that is what good (not to be confused with perfect) parents do, they have children with the best of intentions, and then they raise them, they teach them, and then they help them, when and where they can.

My children encompass the younger generation and my husband (deceased for some time now) and myself are the older generation and I don't recognize either my children or myself as the object of this post. No lack of commitment, self-absorbed, self-entitled, selfish and don't seem to believe in hard work of today's generation...very spoiled by their parents; indeed, I also do not believe for a minute that the laziest and most "entitled" people...are much older either. But just for the record, I also don't subscribe to other broadly touted stereotypes or generalizations for that matter, as well.

That's my personal take on the subject of this thread.

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...

Old 06-28-2013, 09:01 PM

560 posts, read 1,131,574 times
work smart not hard , yall werent taught that back then, but you older folks had a much better economic and educational environment. ive had professors tell me that a part time job paid for their schooling and people who have worked at the same job for decades and just ease through the work day. thats not viable right now, more than aything my generation feels a deeper yearning for a freer way of living. free from the overwhelming social and political tensions, the ability to gain insight and experience without being scarred for life, wanting to feel a true purpose for living and finding our own identity. thats what we feel

Old 06-28-2013, 09:41 PM

30,905 posts, read 37,014,036 times
Quote:
This entitlement mentality actually started with the Baby Boomers, so it's no surprise their kids and grandkids are that way. How many of them are willing to sacrifice their Medicare & Social Security even though most will take way more out of those programs than they've ever paid into them? Most will insist this is not true, but the math doesn't lie.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:06 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,401,825 times
Self-absorbed and entitled? Sounds like the baby boomers to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy