Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 02:19 AM

1,018 posts, read 3,389,294 times

Advertisements

with global warming, STD's, pollution, things that causes cancers, wealth going to the 1% in the world, working and having stress your whole life only to die pennyless, see and feel pain, and deal with bull**** everyday.

well on the bright side 1% of someones living life is the good moments.

so mix all the bad with good, is it worth it to be born today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 05:12 AM

4,138 posts, read 4,546,337 times
I think what is most important is the mindset of the potential parents. When I was young (quite a while back) I thought I would never want to bring kids into the world. What with the threat of nuclear war, the drastic increase in violent crime, worldwide poverty and suffering, extinction and global warming, all of these issues were on my mind and I thought, "what kind of future would kids born today have to face?". Well, I didn't have any kids, had I, they would be in their 20's by now and probably have survived. But with my doomsday outlook, chances are at least one would have inherited my cheery outlook. The world moves on, problems are tackled and then new problems present themselves. It's all about how we deal with our own fears and insecurities. I'm actually still glad I didn't have kids because I'm afraid they would have turned out like me! But for those who instill positive self esteem and can teach their kids how to be positive problem solvers, perhaps the world is not such a bad place. Ultimately, we are all about as happy as we allow ourselves to be. Unfortunately, it took me way too long to figure that out!

Old 04-22-2014, 05:29 AM

16,723 posts, read 17,500,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by civic94 View Post
with global warming, STD's, pollution, things that causes cancers, wealth going to the 1% in the world, working and having stress your whole life only to die pennyless, see and feel pain, and deal with bull**** everyday.

Wow!

You're feeling chipper today!

I wouldn't want to be in that 1%.

Yes, it's important to be able to pay for the important things in life but money cannot buy everything.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:07 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,533,239 times
Who knows, the kids being born today may grow up to realize that the system they live in is bullcrap, and they take the initiative to fix the problem, i.e., getting rid of the 1% for good. Heck, it might be the best time to be alive.

One of the things I find very encouraging about kids of today is how liberal they're leaning - just a few more like-minded kids joining them could very well change the political landscape forever - for the good. So let's keep up the hope.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:57 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,490,435 times
Quote:

I wasn't born today...but am living today...hope that counts...
My life is fabulously wonderful and I am doing what I am supposed to be doing...
so is it worth it to me?
I would certainly say, yes.
Since there is no chance and all things are
deliberate and self created...I'm in the perfect place in the perfect time, always.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:59 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,543,517 times
I think everyone's lives would be a lot happier if they could get over the envy.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:37 AM

1,989 posts, read 2,543,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Who knows, the kids being born today may grow up to realize that the system they live in is bullcrap, and they take the initiative to fix the problem, i.e., getting rid of the 1% for good. Heck, it might be the best time to be alive.
What do you mean get rid of the 1%? You mean the 1% in America or worldwide? I think it be great if the current generation was able to fix the Baby Boomers mess as well. Might need to get rid of a lot of them too.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:48 AM

261 posts, read 419,985 times
I think today would be an ideal time to be born. With all the advancements that are being made in science, technology and medicine, baby's born today could very possibly have a pretty good chance of living to be 125-150 years old or longer, and those would be mostly healthy and alert and mobile years. And who knows, by the time they reach that age, life expectancy of humans might be close to 200 years old. Imagine that. 75 would still be a kid.

Last edited by qwertyasdf; 04-22-2014 at 10:57 AM.. Reason: Edited to correct spelling and ounctuation errors.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:01 AM

260 posts, read 338,750 times
I think overall - now is a better time to be born (in a first world country) than any other time before. Prior to all the modern inventions - life was a daily struggle just to exist. And for women, people of color, gay people and disabled people - that is even more so.

I think humans have always been depraved and cruel towards each other in one way or another. With the internet and computers - we are exposed to it more and it happens in different ways. I don't think it happens more now. And most people didn't live long enough to get cancer - they died of infectious disease, childbirth, or in accidents at much younger ages.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:09 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,811,516 times
Quote:

Well, if you go by what my boss says - that in two or three generations humanity will have the cure for aging and cancer - then it might be a good idea to be born today.

(I work part time in a scientific facility that develops technology for killing tumors. My boss a very smart guy, convinced of this idea that science will figure out the answers for aging within 100 years).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy