Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 01:26 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,036,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Honestly, hell no. I would never have a child to subject to this joke called present-day humanity.
This makes you stand apart from the crowd since most parents NEVER consider the fact that the choice to have children is the choice to bring human beings into the subjection to pain and death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 01:33 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,036,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JewelChick01 View Post
Answer to the original question: No. I don't have children, because I care too much about them to force them into this existence. There are wonderful things to experience in life, but if you don't exist, you're not "missing out" on anything, and you're spared all the painful crap.

I don't see any non-selfish reason for bringing kids into the world.
I can understand why you feel that way. I'm expecting a grandbaby this month and I do look forward to meeting him, but I would not have chosen to bring him into this messy and complicated existence. I do sometimes feel great sorrow over my own children when I think of the pain and suffering they may endure and the fact that they will be subjected to death and much sorrow.

Old 05-04-2014, 05:44 AM

20,137 posts, read 13,585,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by civic94 View Post
so mix all the bad with good, is it worth it to be born today?
I think you're mis-framing the question because you're assuming that the world is on a downward trajectory and that somehow life is a less rational proposition now than it was in some mythical "good old days". Let me clue you in: there were no "good old days". They were bad old days, just like now. The human condition has not fundamentally changed.

The real question is whether life in general is a rational proposition. If, magically, your unborn self could have known everything you now know about your life, if your life were offered to you, would you be interested? That's the real question.

But even that is kind of a hypothetical exercise; the fact is, we are all here, right now, and what are we going to do about that?

Old 05-04-2014, 06:54 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,395,227 times
Humans are a parasite on this earth. They inhabit an area, breed, consume it's resources, then once those resources are depleted they move on to repeat the process.
There is no symbiotic relationship between humans and this planet. Remove the human element and the planet thrives.

My wife and I never had children because we care enough to not have them. Once we're gone that's it.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:42 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,904,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sconesforme View Post
Not really – living is overrated.
For you, perhaps. My life is pretty cool. I wouldn't exchange it for death at the moment, certainly. I'm quite happy that I exist and am content with having existed, no matter how infinitely small that may be in the grand scheme of the universe.

Old 05-04-2014, 12:13 PM

20,137 posts, read 13,585,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
There is no symbiotic relationship between humans and this planet. Remove the human element and the planet thrives.
NO symbiosis at all? I hardly think so. We can do better, often far better, but if we truly did nothing but consume we would have died out as a species some time ago.

The community I live in has a parks department, as most do ... as well as recreational walking trails (many reclaimed from former railroad right-of-ways), an arboretum, various nature preserves. Buying local is a big value in this area, as is green sustainability. We have an incorporation mechanism in this state called a B-Corp (B for Benefit) wherein companies have to meet certain green / sustainability / employee friendly requirements, even if at the expense of short term financial gain. As well as a lot of other creative ideas along similar lines.

100% of humanity is not 100% parasitical / oblivious to nature, and it's improving all the time. Will it improve enough, before some sort of difficult or impossible to redeem tipping point? It's not for sure, but my guess is yes, because the ecosystem and society are complex systems and complex systems have a remarkable ability to self heal, bounce back, and the like.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:09 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,502,149 times
Does one have any choice when they is born?

Old 05-06-2014, 12:12 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,831,375 times
To me, i rather be born earlier and get the journey of my life over too asap.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:16 AM

28,981 posts, read 30,373,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by civic94 View Post
with global warming, STD's, pollution, things that causes cancers, wealth going to the 1% in the world, working and having stress your whole life only to die pennyless, see and feel pain, and deal with bull**** everyday.

well on the bright side 1% of someones living life is the good moments.

so mix all the bad with good, is it worth it to be born today?
yes it is, but, it is all in how you look at things.

Life is a gift, so, we get a choice, to like it or to make ourselves miserable...we always have a choice, and when all else fails, we still have hope, love and self improvment to depend on....
there are so very many postives out there, all ya gotta do is open your eyes to them instead of focusing on the negative.

if bad didn't happen, then how would we truly know joy?

Old 05-06-2014, 07:57 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,150,509 times
Every era has it's faults. Every day has it's trials and injustices.

In the overall end we had all best view what ever time we are born in, the best time possible, because it is what we got and the only time we ever get. Don't envy the past or future time, because there is only one today.

Today is the best time there every is, was or will be, cause at this moment it is the only time that exists for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy