Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: would you want to be a survivor if 90% of your sex was wiped out?
yes(male) 64 52.46%
no(male) 6 4.92%
yes(female) 27 22.13%
no(female) 25 20.49%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 11:37 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,366,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon18 View Post
Absolutely not; I would almost certainly be taken advantage of at one point or another! If I were a survivor, I’d probably hide or never leave my brother’s or father’s side.
Well, you might be a sort of queen, worshiped as a kind of Earth Mother goddess for your rarity.

Or, you might be a queen ant where you job is to be constantly pregnant.

Either way you'd get to be a queen. It's just that one type would be more flattering than the other.

Read a bunch of fortune cookies for some spooky/mystical sayings. Keep some type of kit for doing magic tricks in an underground bunker. Just wait for an eclipse to emerge from the underground so you can convince everyone you're a witch, and then you're gold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 05:39 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,894,641 times
90% of my sex has already been wiped out (for many reasons I don't care to explain) and I'm still here and OK, so yeah!

Old 10-10-2017, 07:22 AM

1,915 posts, read 1,487,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Another thing, who the hell would be up to date if they just saw 90% of their male friends die? I have friends who have crippling PTSD because they saw one friend die, can you imagine that with almost the whole gender dying?
I really wouldn't want either scenario for this reason. If 90% of the men died, I would most likely lose my brother, uncles, nephews, friends, and my boyfriend. If 90% of the women died, I would lose my mother, friends, nieces, etc. In both scenarios, I wouldn't be looking to date--not for a long time, if ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Given the social problems that happen when there is an excess of men in the population, I think an extreme version of that would make for a particularly miserable time for the surviving women.
This! Time and time again in history when there is an overabundance of men, there tends to be more societal problems. Look at the old American West, what happens to women when an invading army floods the area, or even just the current problems arising in China, etc. There are problems when there are too many women too to be sure, look at a lot of post war places. If it were 90% men, I would find someplace to hide from society and disguise myself as a guy as best I could.

Ideally I don’t want anyone to die off. It wasn't an option, but if I “had” to choose, as a woman, I rather be a surviving woman and there just be 10% of men. I pretty much already said to myself if anything happens between me and my boyfriend or to boyfriend, I am "done." So with 90% women, I could go my way, live my life, and never have to worry about things that I would have to worry about under a 90% male world (rape, being a broodmare, not risking the life of a man I love, etc). It would be a much more peaceful, comfortable, and less stressful existence.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:47 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,502,879 times
I expect 90-95% decrease in both sexes over centuries, by population decrease. The remaining population will adapt to circumstance. Monasticism may rise, a sex imbalance by choice.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:13 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,892,777 times
Women have taken millennia to achieve more-or-less equal status over significant part of the globe, and that's with about equal numbers. If we were outnumbered by that extent we'd be slaves.

That said, not to be corny but I still voted "live" because where there's life there's a chance.

Old 10-19-2017, 04:12 AM

16,913 posts, read 16,175,629 times
It is XXX but there is a movie titled "Cafe Flesh".

A cool movie where post-nuclear holocaust there are only sex-positives and sex-negatives left.
The sex-positive people were forced to have sex on the cafe's stage area for the entertainment of all the sex-negatives, whose faces were showing the results of radiation. Yayyyy!

EDITED TO ADD: Yes, the movie has graphic XXX sex in it so here's my warning to anyone that wants to know.

Last edited by rainroosty; 10-19-2017 at 04:24 AM..

Old 10-19-2017, 08:23 AM

30,707 posts, read 80,014,707 times
If I had a choice of surviving or allowing someone else to survive, I would opt to keep someone younger. If I could chose I would allow my sons to survive instead of me.

I have lived in a house dominated by women in the majority. While it is not unpleasant, it can be difficult, it might get exhausting after a while. You would never be able to find anything. Everywhere you went stuff would be moved around over and over until no one knows where anything is.

My son attends a university with 70% women/29% men (1% other). He likes it quite a lot.

Old 10-19-2017, 09:48 AM

3,093 posts, read 1,696,216 times
I found this one a little hard to ponder. When I thought about being one of the very few women in a world of men vs a world of almost just women, I had no hesitation. I know I couldn't live with just women! Didn't even like working in a big office of just women.

Old 10-25-2017, 08:55 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,123,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
I found this one a little hard to ponder. When I thought about being one of the very few women in a world of men vs a world of almost just women, I had no hesitation. I know I couldn't live with just women! Didn't even like working in a big office of just women.
Were as I don't like being around other men. I get nothing out of it, I've always felt male bonding was over rated, bonding with a female is sooooooo much better.

Old 10-28-2017, 12:35 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,066,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
The life of women would be horrible if the world were composed of mostly men. It is difficult enough now. They would be nothing but property held by the most powerful men. They would prisoners and slaves and commodities. It just doesn’t bear thinking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy