Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2022, 07:18 PM

13,641 posts, read 9,698,765 times

Advertisements

The first essence of a "good life" is an emotional balance, a kind of acceptance or adaptability. Lacking this, no success will be sufficient, and no failure would be too minor. It need not be an ascetic rejection or a primitive settling for whatever harshness life visits upon on. No is it a turn-the-other-cheek smarmy surrender. But it must be a self-forgiveness, an allowing of oneself to go on, to function, to pursue, to ponder and to sense. No amount of prestige, plaudits, gains, power or even physical health, is enough to offset a disquieted mind beset by perambulations of self-judgment and guilt. We need a firmness with our own selves... nay, not a harshness, but a license function without too much second-guessing.

Those of us who lack such emotional balance, are in a quest to first find it, before stating any other goal.. like finding love, getting ahead in life, attaining affluence, winning in sports, writing a novel and so on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2022, 07:38 PM

230 posts, read 164,768 times
The good life, to me at least, is being able to live in a manner that fits with my nature.

Old 04-02-2022, 12:30 AM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
Ignoring money madness, a "good life" should be having the means and opportunity to generate surplus goods and services, equitably traded and enjoyed. And with those proceeds, construct / obtain an autonomous, disaster resistant domicile. If practical, include edible landscaping, permaculture, and on-site food production. The goal is to be self sufficient, independent and at liberty to pursue happiness without impediment.
- - -
Personal preference would be to have a superinsulated SCIP concrete house, capable of operating without grid based utilities, and unaffected by natural disasters.

Last edited by jetgraphics; 04-02-2022 at 01:01 AM..

Old 04-02-2022, 07:59 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
A par round of golf and an excellent steak afterwards. And an ice cold beer.
Absolutely.

Do the things in life you enjoy.

The little things.

Watch your sports game, read your book, ride you motorcycle.

Old 04-02-2022, 08:33 AM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
Having enough money to enjoy the things I like to do.

Living in a place that has everything I want, not only need, within 5 miles.

Have a wide-ranging group of friends.

I'm living it and loving it!

Old 04-02-2022, 08:41 AM

217 posts, read 141,688 times
Living independently as possible away from an aggravating, corrupt society.

Old 04-02-2022, 08:51 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
My concept of the "good life" is about the same as yours.

While money can't buy you happiness in some absolute sense, basic financial and food security forms the basis for anything beyond the struggle for survival. It's been shown that increased income DOES increase happiness, TO A POINT. And that point is WAY before you're some high-riding billionaire with more money than sense.

After that, yes, curiosity and learning about the world and how best to be in it without angst is its own reward.

I would add that the good life should involve relationships that organically and without excessive effort, are mutually enjoyable and rewarding without significant cross-currents and undertows. That may be the only part of my dream of the good life that is unobtanium, though. I mean I'm not asking for effortless relationships, just ones where effort and intent are somewhat equal to reward. In general I find people far too complicated and inconsistent for that to be true, and the feeling is probably mutual by now, lol.
You win, thread closed!

Old 04-02-2022, 11:08 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
And good health to enjoy it all.

Old 04-02-2022, 12:35 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
And good health to enjoy it all.
I might argue this is the ONLY requirement for a good life, especially if you have the advantages of being US born/naturalized as it seems... most everybody on CD Forum is.

Old 04-02-2022, 02:10 PM

908 posts, read 441,006 times
I'd have to say my own personal definition of having a good life is fairly similar in the material sense to that of those who have already answered , though IMHO achieving a permanent state of living a good life in the non material sense is illusory .

Life as such is rather transitory in my view , especially in the non material sense , therefore one can certainly be in a very miserable state of mind in spite of having no material difficulties .

Of course that is a subject of its own altogether , so to round off my thoughts I may as well state that in my opinion living the good life in the non material sense means doing your best at achieving emotional/psychological/spiritual peace on your own terms to the extent that is possible .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy