Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2022, 04:00 PM

6,453 posts, read 3,971,294 times

Advertisements

I don't know that it scares me, but I don't like it. My mom would bring up reincarnation and I'd say, "No way. When I'm done, I'm done. I'm not doing this again."

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I would like to think there's no credibility to it, but, again, there are moments it can scare me. I know the idea is big in India. The poor smile at their poverty, believing in the next world they'll be rich and comfortable.

I'm comfortable enough, and that's where the scare comes in. If there is credibility to it, does that mean I'll be impoverished in my next life?

Giving how many pets are treated like royalty, I often wonder about my spoiled, rotten ferret. What kind of life did he live before this current life?
In some traditions, I think they believe that your lot improves with your good conduct? So from that standpoint, you could think if you're comfortable in this life, you may have been impoverished in a former life and are "movin' on up."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kophi View Post
I realize I will have forgotten the taste of independence at that point; the amnesia that is said to accompany each new mission virtually guarantees it (I say ‘virtually’ because some children reportedly do, initially, remember elements from their previous lives). But looking at it from this angle can be irritating.

I do fall into the camp that believes that reincarnation, if it’s true, is voluntary, and that you go at your own pace once you’re ready to tackle whatever the next mission entails. Much like signing up for college courses, we choose what it is we want to learn/accomplish and then ‘sign up’. We might even map out the general trajectory our lives will take, if not the more minute details therein (sometimes referred to as soul-contracts or pre-birth-planning). The general assumption across various belief-systems seems to be that we’re forced to be here by no choice of our own, and over time I’ve come to realize there’s no real reason to believe that as opposed to the belief that we come here voluntarily. For one thing, the 'forced to be here' perspective is very enabling, dis-empowering, and it ends up making me feel victim-y. I'm allergic to feeling victim-y. -
But what about people who don't enjoy being alive or don't want to be? Does that assume that they signed up for it and then became disillusioned when they actually got into it? Or is it simply that they have the "amnesia" and so they're miserable during the lifetime, but beforehand they fully understood that it was for a greater good and afterward they will understand likewise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
That said, even if reincarnation were ‘real’ (I don’t believe it is), why would one ‘fear’ it? In my mind, it’s simply another way in which people cling to the idea of staying ‘alive’/conscious longer (as with any ‘afterlife). In other words, it’s probably not reincarnation they fear, but death in and of itself.
Well, probably because some people believe there aren't any rules to how it works-- that they could come back into a truly miserable existence next time, and who wants to imagine that happening to them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I can't say the thought of existing in a conscious state indefinitely, even if I'm comfortable, is appealing. But who's to say that the belief that we're just gone after death is any less wishful thinking than the thought we'll live in paradise?
Yeah-- that actually sort of scares me more than the thought of simply being snuffed out and not knowing anything anymore. To me it's a bit freaky-- forever, as in, it just doesn't end. Is there anything you want to do for eternity??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
It is, isn't it? I have no idea what it means other than we don't have an accurate understanding yet of what "death" means.

Someone frozen so stiff for so long that they couldn't start an IV really raises some questions.

And I think about those people who have laid in comas for years who have come back to report that they were aware of what was going on around them - now that is truly terrifying.

No wonder loved ones are afraid to pull the plug.

And have we finally solved the question of where consciousness lies? The assumption is that it is in our brains but I'm not sure if that has been scientifically established yet.
And, it makes you wonder how long consciousness may stick around after the body dies. I've read some things that suggest it can be for a while-- I wish I could find them again to re-read and see if they're credible sources/studies-- and it's a bit chilling if you consider any quick disposition of the body (cremation or embalming within a few hours, for example).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2022, 04:17 PM

708 posts, read 1,295,389 times
Quote:
But you could also be reborn as an animal? A pampered dog, a pampered cat?
No you cannot. That's not the way it works

Old 04-24-2022, 05:13 PM

8,659 posts, read 3,858,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Well, probably because some people believe there aren't any rules to how it works-- that they could come back into a truly miserable existence next time, and who wants to imagine that happening to them?
Yeah, many do believe in nonsensical rules relative to reaching an afterlife (of any sort); it’s called religion.:-)

Old 04-24-2022, 05:49 PM

708 posts, read 1,295,389 times
Quote:
I would like to think there's no credibility to it, but, again, there are moments it can scare me. I know the idea is big in India. The poor smile at their poverty, believing in the next world they'll be rich and comfortable.

I'm comfortable enough, and that's where the scare comes in. If there is credibility to it, does that mean I'll be impoverished in my next life?

Giving how many pets are treated like royalty, I often wonder about my spoiled, rotten ferret. What kind of life did he live before this current life?
If you want to know more about reincarnation there is a book by a well known Yale psychiatrist that takes you through his real life experiences with people that have remembered their past lives through hypnosis. The book is thoroughly readable and credible. I've read a number of books on this subject but this book by far is the best.

The title is Many Lives, Many Masters by Dr. Brian Weiss. www.brianweiss.com

Old 04-24-2022, 06:02 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
But you could also be reborn as an animal? A pampered dog, a pampered cat?
Or a tortured dog or horse. Or a porpoise living wild and free until it's snout gets caught in some fishing netting, and he slowly starves to death.

Be generous in your precious human lifetime, and your chances for a comfortable life next time around will increase. So they say.

Old 04-24-2022, 06:04 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seethelight View Post
If you want to know more about reincarnation there is a book by a well known Yale psychiatrist that takes you through his real life experiences with people that have remembered their past lives through hypnosis. The book is thoroughly readable and credible. I've read a number of books on this subject but this book by far is the best.

The title is Many Lives, Many Masters by Dr. Brian Weiss. www.brianweiss.com
Brian Weiss is THE expert on past life regression. The clincher is, that he never set out to go into that sub-specialty. He didn't believe in reincarnation, originally. One of his patients just happened to spontaneously regress during a session with him, to a time he didn't recognize. It was way back in history sometime, so he had to figure out where she was and in what era. After repeated experiences with her of that nature, he became intrigued.

You can find interviews with him and lectures on youtube.

Old 04-24-2022, 06:59 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,383,237 times
I surely hope I won't have to come back and go through this one again! Geez!

But I have already been here and back 1000s of times before. The things I overcome in this life I will not have to experience again in the next one , Every life is about clearing karma. If you don't learn it in one life, you have another life to work on it again, but you will start over from scratch without the knowledge you had gained in the past one.

Old 04-24-2022, 07:18 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,947,919 times
Quote:
And, it makes you wonder how long consciousness may stick around after the body dies. I've read some things that suggest it can be for a while-- I wish I could find them again to re-read and see if they're credible sources/studies-- and it's a bit chilling if you consider any quick disposition of the body (cremation or embalming within a few hours, for example).
One's "consciousness sticking around" isn't the only thing to fear from quickie cremation, embalming, burial, or organ donation. Waking up in the middle of it/being declared dead when you're not isn't unheard or even all that uncommon! I'm a fan of the old-fashioned three-day wake, myself.

Old 04-24-2022, 09:34 PM

7,027 posts, read 4,890,151 times
Quote:

But what about people who don't enjoy being alive or don't want to be? Does that assume that they signed up for it and then became disillusioned when they actually got into it? Or is it simply that they have the "amnesia" and so they're miserable during the lifetime, but beforehand they fully understood that it was for a greater good and afterward they will understand likewise?
I was thinking that people are put into this life knowing the rules and those that break the rules, like murdering someone or causing pain to other people, are sent back to another miserable life as a sort of lesson.

Old 04-25-2022, 07:11 AM

11,758 posts, read 14,647,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seethelight View Post
No you cannot. That's not the way it works
How could you possibly know that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy