Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 10:21 PM

52,290 posts, read 52,723,379 times

Advertisements

I'm doing this gig until the head cook and bottle washer job at the local greasy spoon opens up.

We must keep our dreams alive.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 10:23 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,674,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post

How do you guys feel? Are you doing what you thought you would be doing at your current age? Do you feel like you are destined for something better, different or greater?

I'm not talking about doing what you wish you could be doing but rather, physically feeling you are on another path.

Thoughts?
I often wonder...what does that really mean? To be doing what you`re suppose to be doing in life?
How do you really know, what you`re really suppose to be doing?

We normally live our life (hopefully) to to best that we can be. We create our life, and if it feels right, and your happy, then I would say that you are doing what your suppose to be doing.

I go home happy every evening from work, knowing that I made someone else smile, or was able to help out somehow, or that I took the time to fix my husband breakfast in the morning, when he gets home from working 3rd shift.

I say, if YOU feel that our doing what your suppose to be doing, then your are on the right track!

Last edited by yankeegirl313; 11-27-2009 at 11:21 PM..

Old 11-27-2009, 10:28 PM

231 posts, read 736,740 times
i agree, this whole thread feels like a "pity me because i'm disappointed with my life" gathering.

there is one answer to your problem: fix it. you are the only person who can make the determination about whether your life is satisfactory, no one can force you to do something without your consent; if you're displeased with your situation, there is one place you can look for blame.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:28 PM

2,382 posts, read 4,593,286 times
Quote:
How do you guys feel? Are you doing what you thought you would be doing at your current age? Do you feel like you are destined for something better, different or greater?

Thoughts?
I am not doing what I thought I would be doing...but in a good way. Life has taken me on some crazy paths but I feel very fortunate to be where I am in life right now. That's why I'm a firm believer that things always happen for a reason.

However, I also feel that there is something bigger and better on the horizon. Not in a "grass is greener on the other side" kind of way...just that I feel I have more to accomplish yet in my life.

Great topic!

Old 11-27-2009, 10:45 PM

1,322 posts, read 2,414,368 times
Quote:
My girlfriend and I are always making plans to either, A. travel for a week or two to Costa Rica or B. do a big sailing trip.
We are still in the planning stages but will eventually make a plan and stick to it but we always agree on one thing, neither of us are doing what we feel we should be doing.
We both talked about it the other day and we both feel like we are meant for something else. Neither of us see ourselves working in an office through to retirement, we both have a lot of great ideas for business, travel, etc.... but we always say we see ourselves doing something greater....

I'm not talking about doing what you wish you could be doing but rather, physically feeling you are on another path.

Thoughts?
....I smell what you're steppin' in.

I think, there's always a difference between who we are and who we should be. I know it's like that for me. I mean, I'm happy with what I'm doing now, but I know that there's something more that I should be doing.

The only question is, how does one get from where they are now, to where they should be?

We can only do the best we can.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigirl920 View Post
However, I also feel that there is something bigger and better on the horizon. Not in a "grass is greener on the other side" kind of way...just that I feel I have more to accomplish yet in my life.
That's it right there.. no other words can better describe it.

I know that I'll feel like that until I draw my final breath..

Old 11-27-2009, 11:06 PM

784 posts, read 2,730,548 times
Are you kidding me? This extends beyond relationships and is indicative of one thing: LAZINESS

Too many times, people my age have told me:
  • "Oh I'm going to get a great job doing XYZ"
  • "Oh I'm doing to ace my GMAT's and go to a great business school"
  • "Oh I'm going to get ABC license so I can join that union"
  • "Oh I'm going to work for 20 years and retire with a fat pension"
  • "Oh I'm going to work out 5 times a week so I can look good for my HS reunion and impress this person or that person"
But what are they doing on weekends? Drinking and partying. On weekdays they stay up until 2AM on Facebook, then they complain about how they never get anywhere in life. Seriously people?

Nobody hustles anymore. Too many people feel entitled to get X or Y without having to work for it.

If you are not hungry and expect everything to be handed to you, you deserve whatever happens to you.

Old 11-27-2009, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCAnalyst View Post
Are you kidding me? This extends beyond relationships and is indicative of one thing: LAZINESS

Too many times, people my age have told me:
  • "Oh I'm going to get a great job doing XYZ"
  • "Oh I'm doing to ace my GMAT's and go to a great business school"
  • "Oh I'm going to get ABC license so I can join that union"
  • "Oh I'm going to work for 20 years and retire with a fat pension"
  • "Oh I'm going to work out 5 times a week so I can look good for my HS reunion and impress this person or that person"
But what are they doing on weekends? Drinking and partying. On weekdays they stay up until 2AM on Facebook, then they complain about how they never get anywhere in life. Seriously people?

Nobody hustles anymore. Too many people feel entitled to get X or Y without having to work for it.

If you are not hungry and expect everything to be handed to you, you deserve whatever happens to you.
.....not so much.

Laziness is having the ability to do something but not having the desire to do it.

There's a big difference here: The question is, "Do you feel that you're destined for something greater?", not "I want to be something greater, but I lack the ambition, help?"

Thing is, a lot of people go out and tackle life head on, but even though they do things to the best of their ability, they still feel as if they could be doing something greater. There's several reasons one isn't able to achieve that "greater than" status, and very few of those reasons have to do with being lazy.

For me, there are things that I want to do, but I lack the knowledge of how to do them. It's not because I haven't done my due-diligence - in fact, I've spent hours studying several of these things - it's more because I lack the proper resources to gain the knowledge to do these things. So, I do the best that I can with the things I have. Yet, I still long for something greater. To me, that's not laziness, that's striving to do your best in life.

Old 11-28-2009, 06:26 AM

784 posts, read 2,730,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanBlasphemy View Post
.....not so much.

Laziness is having the ability to do something but not having the desire to do it.

There's a big difference here: The question is, "Do you feel that you're destined for something greater?", not "I want to be something greater, but I lack the ambition, help?"

Thing is, a lot of people go out and tackle life head on, but even though they do things to the best of their ability, they still feel as if they could be doing something greater. There's several reasons one isn't able to achieve that "greater than" status, and very few of those reasons have to do with being lazy.

For me, there are things that I want to do, but I lack the knowledge of how to do them. It's not because I haven't done my due-diligence - in fact, I've spent hours studying several of these things - it's more because I lack the proper resources to gain the knowledge to do these things. So, I do the best that I can with the things I have. Yet, I still long for something greater. To me, that's not laziness, that's striving to do your best in life.
Those two are inter-related. If the issue is lack of ability, then you have to realize that and stop chasing that pipe-dream. I mean, when I was 12 I wanted to be the starting shortstop or center fielder on the Yankees, obviously that will never pan out. Otherwise I don't see what the issue is. Want to be a chef? Save up money and go to culinary school. Rock-climbing? Set a day, and go!

Also it doesn't help that you haven't given specific examples of what you want to do.

Old 11-28-2009, 06:45 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,201,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I've done way more, and felt far more satisfaction, than I ever thought I would, at this point in my life. So yeah - I believe the path I'm on is the right one for me.
Me too. It was a far fetched dream back in the day that I'd be doing what I'm doing now, career wise, but it was more exciting when it was a dream lol.

Also, people change as they age and want different things. I never thought I would want kids. It was never a part of the picture for me. Well, that has changed and now that I'm getting older, who knows if it will happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy