Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2012, 06:56 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,220,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
But if someone is driving at 65 and traffic is such that a car cannot be passed on the left or the right, then the person driving 65 is probably going according to the law, and the speeder is not going with the flow of traffic.
No, often times the "flow" of traffic is slowed to below the speed limit because of someone hanging out in the far left lane causing a backup of people behind them that can't get past a group of vehicles lined up next to each other. Often times there will be a semi or two in the right lanes and a slow moving vehicle in the left lane moving at the same speed as the semi's which causes 20 -30 cars behind them to back up because they can't get past.

You've not noticed that that traffic always seems to be clumped together on the freeways? This is due to people not using the lanes correctly. If people would keep the left lane open the traffic would be more spread out (and safer).

Is it legal to park in the far left lane and block traffic behind you? I've seen "keep right except to pass" signs in Arizona?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 06:59 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,776,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2.0 View Post
Because the left lane is for passing. Pretty simple concept here. Go left to pass, once you're not passing, get back to the right. Congestion is caused by cars riding side-by-side, blocking the flow.
Scott, I think you may miss the point that changing lanes is a dangerous part of driving on the freeway.

If I'm driving in lane one it's because I need to go faster than the traffic in lane two. If someone comes up behind me wanting to pass, and I'm driving faster than lane two, I'm not changing lanes.

The reason is very simple. Drivers tend to follow too closely to the car in front, (about 1/2 to 1 second as opposed to the recommended safe distance of 2 seconds. It is very difficult to merge into a lane with cars spaced that closely. (Following that close is the reason there are so many 2-4 car accidents on the freeway.) So to move over to let the speeder pass me would mean that I have to actually slow down to merge and have to keep looking right, and being distracted from driving straight ahead. If the car I'm trying to merge behind hits their brake while I'm merging, then I could very well hit it. If I do merge right, I'll have to get back to lane one in order to drive my speed.

I refuse to keep changing lanes like that to accommodate speeders. If someone wants to pass me in that situation, they will have to merge right and take all the risks of changing lanes.

If, on the other hand, lane two is driving my speed, then I'll stay in lane two. I really don't see many drivers in lane one driving at 65 if there is little to no traffic in lane two.

I'm not a left lane hog. I use the lane that is most appropriate for the traffic situation, and how long I will be on the freeway. I'm usually driving around 70 and going with the flow of traffic, and will go faster on occasion, but I prefer to drive speed limit.

The biggest problems I see on the freeways are, speeders, speeders cutting in and out of traffic, following too close, cutting into a lane too close to the car behind. It's really a rare occasion where I see someone driving in lane one at a slow speed with no traffic in lane two. And if that happens, just pass on the right.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:01 AM

846 posts, read 1,400,283 times
I'm with Captain Bill. I'm okay with going the speed limit. We drove out to a ranch in Tolleson yesterday and there were at least 12 cops with people pulled over. About 4 of those in construction zones (fines double).

We were hit twice in a month. I might have mentioned this before. Neither our fault but the first guy was not insured and on his way to get his brakes fixed. We were sitting at a red light and he slammed into us while he was texting/talking. The second wreck we were slowing down in a construction zone and the person behind us was not because he was 1) on his phone & 2) looking for his sunglasses.

My concern is with careless drivers. Whatever that means.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:07 AM

34 posts, read 52,359 times
Quote:
Scott, does a speeder in the left lane have any more right than a driver going the speed limit?

It seems to me that the speed limit is the "maximum" allowable speed. (notwithstanding that some officers may allow some slack before pulling the speeder over), and driving over 65 is breaking the speed laws.

Passing on the right is allowed on the freeways.

But if someone is driving at 65 and traffic is such that a car cannot be passed on the left or the right, then the person driving 65 is probably going according to the law, and the speeder is not going with the flow of traffic.

You really can't have it both ways, by saying that the driver in the left lane going 65 is driving illegally by not moving over to a slower lane, and that the speeder is correct. If a driver is going 70-75, then they are breaking the speed laws, and in my opinion, have no more right than anyone else on the freeway.
Yes, a speeder has more right to the left lane than someone driving the speed limit there and not passing. Both are breaking the law, however, only the person impeding traffic is the one creating congestion for all other drivers.

It's fairly simple; the speeder doesn't affect anyone negatively (OK go ahead and argue that they're going to crash and tie up traffic, but let's be realistic here). The person impeding the proper flow of traffic by driving in the left lane, while not passing anyone and thereby holding up other vehicles, does negatively impact everyone else on the road by creating traffic congestion. If everyone obeyed the keep to the right, highways would be far less congested.

Last edited by Scott2.0; 07-23-2012 at 08:12 AM..

Old 07-23-2012, 07:08 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,220,381 times
Quote:
I refuse to keep changing lanes like that to accommodate speeders. If someone wants to pass me in that situation, they will have to merge right and take all the risks of changing lanes.
Come on, has nothing to do with "accommodating speeders" it is the proper way to drive that is taught in all defensive driving schools. Changing lanes is part of driving, saying you're not going to do it because it adds risk is silly.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Scott, I think you may miss the point that changing lanes is a dangerous part of driving on the freeway.

If I'm driving in lane one it's because I need to go faster than the traffic in lane two. If someone comes up behind me wanting to pass, and I'm driving faster than lane two, I'm not changing lanes.

The reason is very simple. Drivers tend to follow too closely to the car in front, (about 1/2 to 1 second as opposed to the recommended safe distance of 2 seconds. It is very difficult to merge into a lane with cars spaced that closely. (Following that close is the reason there are so many 2-4 car accidents on the freeway.) So to move over to let the speeder pass me would mean that I have to actually slow down to merge and have to keep looking right, and being distracted from driving straight ahead. If the car I'm trying to merge behind hits their brake while I'm merging, then I could very well hit it. If I do merge right, I'll have to get back to lane one in order to drive my speed.

If, on the other hand, lane two is driving my speed, then I'll stay in lane two. I really don't see many drivers in lane one driving at 65 if there is little to no traffic in lane two.

I'm not a left lane hog. I use the lane that is most appropriate for the traffic situation, and how long I will be on the freeway. I'm usually driving around 70 and going with the flow of traffic, and will go faster on occasion, but I prefer to drive speed limit.

The biggest problems I see on the freeways are, speeders, speeders cutting in and out of traffic, following too close, cutting into a lane too close to the car behind. It's really a rare occasion where I see someone driving in lane one at a slow speed with no traffic in lane two. And if that happens, just pass on the right.
If changing lanes is too difficult to handle, those drivers should not be on the road to begin with. Changing lanes becomes dangerous when you have vehicles moving right to left after having to go around someone blocking the left lane. Had that lane been open, those vehicle would have been able to proceed straight without having to drive around and thereby causing an obstacle for you to avoid when moving right to allow others to pass.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:29 AM

205 posts, read 572,351 times
In most states, even tho its usually not posted. Its illegal to pass on the right. But people do it all day long! A lot of times this is caused by drivers being stubborn and not moving.

I96 on the west side of michigan its posted on the freeway signs.

So if someone is "blocking" the speed lane by going slow, or doing the speed limit, well expect to get passed and/or run over.

I will say this one time before I get a ton of grief for what I just said about expecting to get run over... EVERYONE BREAKS THE LAW WHILE DRIVING. So for those select people that think they never ever ever break the law, and they complain about other drivers driving like an idiot. Ask yourself if you have ever not used your turn signal, sped, crossed a solid road line, crossed a gore, rolled through or not come to a complete 3 second stop at a stop sign, turned on red where its posted not to etc etc etc... you all see where I am going with this. Everyone breaks the law while driving. If someone wants to do 110mph in the speed lane, LET THEM! Its their ticket they will get, but if you move out of the lane while doing 65mph then you are helping prevent these people from erratically changing lanes and possibly causing a problem.

I hope this post isnt taken to much out of context, I am not singling out any one poster or any poster for that matter. Just responding to what is normally said from many drivers in many states. This is just my opinion. I am not looking for an argument or anything like that, just my opinions.

All this talk of driving makes me really not look forward to going home at the end of the day and facing Detroit traffic.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2.0 View Post
Yes, a speeder has more right to the left lane than someone driving the speed limit there and not passing. Both are breaking the law, however, only the person impeding traffic is the one creating congestion for all other drivers. .
Speeders do not own the highway.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfOnABoat View Post
In most states, even tho its usually not posted. Its illegal to pass on the right. .
We're in Arizona, and below are the Arizona passing rules:

Passing on the right is permitted only when
it is safe and:
• The driver of the other vehicle is making a
left turn (never pass to the left of a driver
who has signaled a left turn).
• An open highway is clearly marked for
two or more lanes of vehicles moving in
the same direction as you are going.

• You are in a business or residential
district where the pavement is wide
enough for two or more lanes of vehicles
moving in the direction you are going.

• You must never pass on the right by
driving off the paved or main portion of
the roadway.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Speeders do not own the highway.
No, but neither is it your place to police the road and block others with your car. I haven't moved to the valley yet but in most places I've driven, you will get flashed, honked at, flipped the bird, etc. for driving in the left lane and IMO rightfully so. I've always been taught that the left lane is for passing and passing only. It's not a place to simply putt down the highway. Do people in AZ really just drive along in the left lane? That's pretty rude behavior. I hope that's not a representation of valley folks in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area