Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2010, 04:54 PM

725 posts, read 2,324,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I could care less how people feel about other drivers. I'm not telling people to change their opinion of speeders. I'm just telling them to be the more mature and responsible person by allowing them to pass. For example, on the 202, I see Hummers and large trucks come out of nowhere driving over 90 mph. They are in the left lane and it's obvious they want to pass. If I don't switch lanes, that guy is just going to try and pass me on the right and will likely cut me off or someone else to do so. I get out of his way and it makes it safer for everyone. It doesn't change my opinion of that person; he is still an a-hole.
So what you're saying is if some jerk in a Moderator cut: snip Truck tailgates me, I should give in and let him have his way because he has no manners????????

In a way I can see what you're getting at but I don't think I should have to move over for some impatient Moderator cut: snip that drives a big roadhog because he has issues with his Manhood!!!!!!

I don't drive slow in the Left lane either - I usually stay in the Center or Right lane when I'm on a Freeway.

Last edited by Kimballette; 02-02-2012 at 05:10 AM.. Reason: crude
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 04:56 PM

725 posts, read 2,324,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyoming Darrell View Post
As it said in my prior posts: I think drivers should complete their pass as soon as it is safe to do so. Never did I indicate that someone should stay in a lane in order to "stand up to a speeder". My point is that anyone using their car as a weapon to intimidate another driver is foolish, immature, irresponsible, and a menace on the highway. Is that more clear?
Totally agree!!!!!!!

That's the most sensible post on this Thread.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:43 AM

3 posts, read 2,648 times
I think you should go to the website for DMV. In the manual that they give you when you take your driving test to get your license in Arizona (if you are from somewhere else be sure to check the manual for that state) it clearly states on page 32 under Driving on the Highway, "Stay to the right and only use the left lane for passing. If you are traveling on a highway with three lanes, treat the far right lane as a slower-speed through land and the far left lane as the passing lane."

Old 02-02-2012, 02:48 AM

3 posts, read 2,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
Yes you can. Legally, no. But there is a secret to it. First, I have received one ticket in almost 40 yrs of driving. It was while riding a bicycle.

The secret is don't be in front of the crowd. Let some other sucker do that. Don't be the fastest. Going with the flow means driving closer to the average speed the others are going. If that's not fast enough, by all means pass me and take the lead. I appreciate it.

It should go without saying that you should read the road. Don't just look at the car in front of you but what are they doing a 1/2 mi ahead? Brake lights coming on? Traffic getting thicker?

Check the mirrors. And yes if I'm doing 80 and someone is zooming up on my back I will move over. I will wait until I see a safe spot to do so but I will certainly get out of his way if possible. If they can't wait then they are welcome to go around however they want. I'm driving for myself and my passengers, other vehicles come in second.

After saying all that, it doesn't matter anymore. That's what this thread is commenting about. People are driving slower nowadays. For a variety of reasons. The prudent driver (legal or not) will drive accordingly. If all the lanes are doing 55-60, then trying to drive 80 is not safe. So, yes, I've slowed down. Not happy about it, not complaining, just saying.
People need to learn the law! Just an FYI, which you should know by getting your ticket for going 85mph, In Arizona if you are traveling 20mph over the posted speed limit or over 85mph is excessive speeds and is a class 3 misdemeanor. Check out azleg.gov It will give you all the laws of traffic safety.

Old 02-02-2012, 04:55 AM

134 posts, read 243,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homlish560 View Post
So what you're saying is if some jerk in a Moderator cut: snip Truck tailgates me, I should give in and let him have his way because he has no manners????????

In a way I can see what you're getting at but I don't think I should have to move over for some impatient Moderator cut: snip that drives a big roadhog because he has issues with his Manhood!!!!!!
Driving is not a 'contest' that you will 'give in' and lose by letting someone pass.

Forcing people to pass you on the right simply means you are in the wrong lane and should move over. Who cares? Let them pass. You're being passive aggressive and have no manners either if you're blocking a lane just to make some silly 'point' or make yourself feel like you are in charge. Talk about 'manhood' issues....pot meet kettle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smylee View Post
I think you should go to the website for DMV. In the manual that they give you when you take your driving test to get your license in Arizona (if you are from somewhere else be sure to check the manual for that state) it clearly states on page 32 under Driving on the Highway, "Stay to the right and only use the left lane for passing. If you are traveling on a highway with three lanes, treat the far right lane as a slower-speed through land and the far left lane as the passing lane."
DING DING DING

Keep right except to pass people!

Last edited by Kimballette; 02-02-2012 at 05:10 AM.. Reason: edited quoted post

Old 02-02-2012, 05:35 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,725,067 times
I learned to drive in Philadelphia and this seems to be an example of an educational experience the middle finger was invented for

Old 02-02-2012, 07:59 AM

7,192 posts, read 9,263,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smylee View Post
People need to learn the law! Just an FYI, which you should know by getting your ticket for going 85mph, In Arizona if you are traveling 20mph over the posted speed limit or over 85mph is excessive speeds and is a class 3 misdemeanor. Check out azleg.gov It will give you all the laws of traffic safety.
First, welcome to the forums.

Second this thread died a year and a half ago.

This thread was about slow drivers in the left lane. I think it started when the freeway cameras were still up but can't remember for sure. For a while it was difficult just to do the speed limit, let alone faster. Not impossible, but not practical.

My comment was to someone who got a ticket for doing 85mph. Not over 85. I rarely get to 10mph over the limit, more like 5 over. Nowadays I'm not even fast at 5 over. Back then I would have been.

BTW: At 80mph the squirrels under my hood are gasping and wheezing!

Old 02-02-2012, 08:34 PM

44,658 posts, read 61,714,444 times
What is it with Arizona and SLOW drivers in the left lane?

I drive all over the country and it's no different here than in California, Iowa, Oklahoma Florida, Oregon, Minnesota, Texas, Washington, etc etc...You even see it happen on the Interstates crossing the country.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:58 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,317,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
What is it with Arizona and SLOW drivers in the left lane?

I drive all over the country and it's no different here than in California, Iowa, Oklahoma Florida, Oregon, Minnesota, Texas, Washington, etc etc...You even see it happen on the Interstates crossing the country.
I don't completely agree. People in California drive much more aggressively but there is a sense of etiquette with the left lane and don't sit in the left lane and expect people to pass on the right; the drivers in Cali won't allow someone to do that. The same goes for the East Coast.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 02-02-2012 at 11:21 PM..

Old 02-03-2012, 11:11 AM

603 posts, read 947,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I don't completely agree. People in California drive much more aggressively but there is a sense of etiquette with the left lane and don't sit in the left lane and expect people to pass on the right; the drivers in Cali won't allow someone to do that. The same goes for the East Coast.
The other thing that seems to be far more pervasive here is your #8 from the first page. People seeing your turn signal and immediately speeding up to block you. Yeah, California drivers are very aggressive drivers, but I have noticed that they'll usually let you over if you signal.

Most of the other things like slow drivers in the left lane I've seen all over the country, but this is the only place I've ever driven where using your turn signal is often MORE hazardous than not signaling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area