Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 06:51 PM

550 posts, read 1,126,453 times

Advertisements

I live 15 minutes away from Surprise in the middle of the desert. My dog has not had any heartworm or flea and tick prevention since we moved here 2 years ago. We don't have any fleas or ticks here. I am reluctant to put chemicals on my dog when it is not absolutely necessary. My daughter lives in Glendale since 1997 and she has never had a flea or tick problem. The only time she had mosquitoes was when the next door pool was not taken care of. I have a friend with dogs in Surprise, she never mentioned a flea or tick problem but I can ask her specifically. There are coyotes somewhere because she can hear them sometimes. I don't leave my dog out alone in the yard and when we go on a walk he is always leashed. And yes a coyote can jump a 6 ft to 8 ft fence. Snakes and scorpions like water. They are more likely found where there is a pool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 10:39 PM

382 posts, read 1,355,738 times
I live in Surprise and we bought a puppy at the beginning of the month. I took him out for a walk (first time since he had been neutered) and later that evening found a tick on him, so yes, they are here. Now I just use the drops along his back and don't give it a second thought. As for mosquitoes... they happen, just thankfully not in large numbers. I'm lucky in that this area backyards are not large enough for pools, so not too many places with water just sitting around. As another poster said, use heartworm medication in the summer and not in the winter.

There are coyotes here. We saw one crossing the street just a couple weeks ago. And there are hawks/vultures flying over head. Huge birds, can't miss them. I doubt they will snatch a small dog unless you have a large backyard or they get loose and run around the neighborhood.

Scorpions are here as well. Crickets are a problem with the dog poop, keep your yard clean. We didn't have any crickets until we bought our dog, and our neighbors don't clean up their yard often. (all rocks and 2 dogs) I found a small scorpion just hanging around on the wall in the garage. Smashed it of course, but now I'm doing everything I can to get rid of the damn crickets. Hate the buggers!! Need to get a black light now

Old 07-23-2010, 02:17 AM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
623 posts, read 1,225,215 times
I agree with watching out for raptors. One morning I saw half a cat the owls got. I had a husky who got interested in a snake that got into my parents' backyard. I think in Surprise your biggest problems will be raptors, coyotes and snakes. But really watch the pug in Phoenix. I have a Bugg (Boston terrier/pug hybrid) and because of his short snout, it can be a lot harder to cool off. He had a 20 minute walk today and tried to lie down on the tiles in the apartment lobby because he was too hot.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:54 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Fleas not so much of a problem here. Ticks, yes, they've been around here forever. If you are concerned, ask your neighbors; if any of them have had a problem, consult a pest control company. And I agree that the greatest risk to a pug here is the heat.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:52 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,516,977 times
And watch out for the Pteranodon. Oh, and the Gila Monster, too! Yikes!

Really, you should be more concerned about making sure your dog has plenty of water in the summer.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:00 AM

82 posts, read 205,560 times
Thanks All, That is exactly the information I was looking for...really helpful. Thanks again so much.

Old 07-23-2010, 03:36 PM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
623 posts, read 1,225,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
And watch out for the Pteranodon. Oh, and the Gila Monster, too! Yikes!

Really, you should be more concerned about making sure your dog has plenty of water in the summer.
Mod Cut: Assumption.

raptor: noun. A bird of prey, including hawks, eagles and owls

Last edited by Grannysroost; 07-23-2010 at 07:03 PM..

Old 07-23-2010, 03:43 PM

Mod Cut: Responding to edited post.

As far as what I posted, it was commentary in general about folks being worried over creatures (whether in the sky or on the ground) swiping poor fluffy away out of the blocked-in walls of Surprise. Yeah, it could happen. But the odds are so increadibly slim, there are more important things to worry about (like making sure fluffy is hydrated in the summer).

Mod Cut: See above.

Last edited by Grannysroost; 07-23-2010 at 07:01 PM..

Old 07-23-2010, 06:05 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,683,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
I didn't go to 1) a public school or 2) a school in Arizona. But thanks for making assuptions. Apparently you're good at that! I'm sure whatever school you went to taught you well.

As far as what I posted, it was commentary in general about folks being worried over creatures (whether in the sky or on the ground) swiping poor fluffy away out of the blocked-in walls of Surprise. Yeah, it could happen. But the odds are so increadibly slim, there are more important things to worry about (like making sure fluffy is hydrated in the summer).

But you are just so much smarter than me, so I'm sure you already knew that.
This is a desert environment, and there are dangerous creatures here.

Feel free to read all about it...

Hospital: Snakebite Victim 1 Of 5 Since Sunday - Phoenix News Story - KPHO Phoenix

Old 07-23-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
This is a desert environment, and there are dangerous creatures here.

Feel free to read all about it...
Good gosh, I know about the dangerous creatures. Heck, I worked on the Goldwater range among the creatures once upon a time.
Mod Cut: Off topic.

It's the same with the dangerous creatures mentioned on here. Yeah, it's true, they're out there. But the odds of an owl swooping down a carrying off fluffy is so increadibly small. The odds of a coyote jumping the block wall and making fluffy lunch is so increadibly small. There are just so many more important things to be worried about. The OP doesn't need to be freaked out every time she lets fluffy out back to leak.

Last edited by Grannysroost; 07-23-2010 at 07:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area