Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2010, 04:24 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,229,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Roark View Post
AZJack, thanks for the website of the house data! I see that as valuable. Added it to my favorite links!
I gave AZjack some positive feedback for that link. I also agree with his inflation point of view. I shop like I was am still in college.

Howard, please share some of your valuable links. I'm in "research mode" right now studying new towns that I can now better afford like Gilbert.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:52 AM

1,113 posts, read 1,261,122 times
Some day, we will be over this "great recession" and some threads are going to be classics.. This one (from maybe the real estate bubble "epicenter") will probably be interesting to re-read in five years.

One thing I think would be true is that data sources such as MLS or Zillow are going to have maybe a 2 month delay in what is actually happening in the market. Ie, the real estate deal where price is actually set is made maybe 6 weeks before closing (banks may be even slowing things down more than this at the moment) and then it takes some some time for the info to get into the data banks. Some markets probably have already turned the corner.. and you wont know it until later unless your in the trenches. If you are looking to try and time the bottom, also keep in mind that inventory and choice is going to be a lot better on the side before the bottom than after the bottom.

Speaking of Zillow, I have heard people say they don't trust it for home values. It seems to me zillow cant take into account home details - but it is just a data base that tracks sales so would seem to have value if you are looking for trends..

Any comments about how accurate Zillow is (I check it fairly often).

Old 09-01-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltcolorado View Post
Some day, we will be over this "great recession" and some threads are going to be classics.. This one (from maybe the real estate bubble "epicenter") will probably be interesting to re-read in five years.

One thing I think would be true is that data sources such as MLS or Zillow are going to have maybe a 2 month delay in what is actually happening in the market. Ie, the real estate deal where price is actually set is made maybe 6 weeks before closing (banks may be even slowing things down more than this at the moment) and then it takes some some time for the info to get into the data banks. Some markets probably have already turned the corner.. and you wont know it until later unless your in the trenches. If you are looking to try and time the bottom, also keep in mind that inventory and choice is going to be a lot better on the side before the bottom than after the bottom.

Speaking of Zillow, I have heard people say they don't trust it for home values. It seems to me zillow cant take into account home details - but it is just a data base that tracks sales so would seem to have value if you are looking for trends..

Two month delays in the numbers goes both ways. See Home Price Reports Don’t Show Declines (Yet) - Developments - WSJ

So smart(er) folks are trying to time things "better" by looking at mortgage application volumes, short sale maps of neighborhoods to study trends etc. But in three months, the market moves so fast.

Last time the $8K 1st time buyers program messed up my timing. I think I might jump on in in the next couple of months. If I get a "steal" now and only spend $160K or below, my risks are reduced. By definition, I cannot lose more than $160K. I wish I could say that for my homes that are a lot more $$"s here in MN. There is a lot of risk even though they already went down 30%.

I don't want another home until I feel comfortable jumping in. I am gaining confidence that this fall might be it.

Old 09-01-2010, 03:22 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,528,399 times
Quote:
A drop in values of 3.5-4% each month through the rest of 2010 is the consensus here.

I'm looking forward to the next two years so I can repost these predictions....

Old 09-01-2010, 04:18 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,723,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnicAZ View Post
The August sales numbers from our office are looking pretty grim. We were hoping to do better than this, since August is usually a time when families are rushing to get ready for the upcoming school year.

Some members in my office have placed further downward projections on home values for this coming fall. The election is wild card, but it might already be too late for the government to do anything before that time comes. A drop in values of 3.5-4% each month through the rest of 2010 is the consensus here.
How, exactly, are you expecting to "do better than this" if you only have one (1) client?

Old 09-01-2010, 05:22 PM

271 posts, read 840,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltcolorado View Post
I don't know how Zillow arrives at their numbers. For example: The house behind is us the same model as ours, but sold last year after the builder lowered the base price but also cut out standards that were included in ours - i.e., fireplace, granite, custom lighting, pre-wired alarm system, etc. They're also on about a 1/3 smaller lot, minimal landscaping in front, nothing in back, and stepped-down; in other words, their backyard view is our wall, while ours looks out over their roofline at the mountain. We also took a walk-through when it was a spec for sale and it had a lot of standard finishes, carpet and standard tile where we have travertine, corian instead of granite, etc., yet I just checked and Zillow lists them as $35,000 more. It doesn't make a difference as we love our house and are in it for the long haul (and still paying less than we rented in Boston), but it makes me scratch my head regarding what numbers they use.

Last edited by Rubee; 09-01-2010 at 05:30 PM..

Old 09-02-2010, 05:03 AM

See 85396 Buckeye real estate notebook — Arizona Real Estate Notebook

Look at the graphs of 85396. People who bought last April of 2009 saw their values go up $10K a year later. Since May of 2010 until September 1st 2010, prices have dropped $20K or over 10%! Now look at the nose DIVE of "days on market". It seems the banks are dealing and they are releasing property (because inventory is rising).

Old 09-02-2010, 05:06 AM

146 posts, read 482,623 times
When do they anticipate the market returning to what it was back in 2004-2005?

I am looking to purchase a house in the next year or two, my fiancee and myself are looking for a good starter home in north phoenix under 100k.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:25 AM

The site (See Arizona Real Estate Notebook ) is a great one to bookmark. You can see the trends of any zip code.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumari View Post
When do they anticipate the market returning to what it was back in 2004-2005?

I am looking to purchase a house in the next year or two, my fiancee and myself are looking for a good starter home in north phoenix under 100k.

Who could ever know?? Heck, they cannot figure what is going to happen in 6 months let alone 3-10 years from now.

I will say this. You are PROBABLY fine from a home appreciating out of your budget in the next year. My gut says next September will be at or lower one year from now. But not a lot lower (or higher) in your price range. I'm guessing off of probabilities like everyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area