Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 10:16 AM

4,300 posts, read 14,960,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
One word. Agritopia!!!
Agritopia is nice but I don't like those back yard fences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 10:34 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,164,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
Agritopia is nice but I don't like those back yard fences.
Because they're not block or tall enough? I don't mind that. In fact, I love all things Agritopia.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
Because they're not block or tall enough? I don't mind that. In fact, I love all things Agritopia.
Yes both, not block and not tall enough. The subdivision and homes are very nice though. I would have considered buying there but I didn't see any I liked with pools and the yards were small. The larger homes with larger yards were too much $$$. I have a large dog and I don't think it would have worked out. But I agree it's a nice place for sure.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:00 PM

5 posts, read 6,931 times
To each his own....but we do love Seville and most everyone we know in the neighborhood belongs to the cc. Yes it is a different fee....no it is not thousands of dollars a month. the sports membership is really quite reasonable. There are golf memberships that cost more, but you do not have to have a golf membership! I don't belong "to stroke my ego" but I do belong for yoga, zumba, kickboxing, gym all within walking distance from my home. My kids are on the swim team and we have our own pool, but we love the community pool as well. There are lots of great social opportunities. As I said, to each his own, it may not be for everyone, I just wanted to clarify some points. As for models, there are several still open and you will not be disappointed!!

Old 07-26-2010, 09:07 PM

40 posts, read 67,049 times
Thanks everyone I cant wait to visit and check it all out. I plan to look at as many places as possible. So are Finley Farms and Seville the only 2 master planned communities? Being we will probably rent at 1st we will have to rent a home that has been lived in even though I admit I rather a new home but understand with renting thats not always possible. Do the master planned communities have elementary schools in them? Years ago we looked into Maricopa and they had schools in the MPC. But I realize there wasnt alot there to begin with so maybe that is the only reason the new schools were built? So, I guess what I need to know is where all the master planned communities are so I can check them out when we come and I am still debating working with a real estate agent. Thanks agian everyone for the info

Old 07-26-2010, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitofhonee View Post
Thanks everyone I cant wait to visit and check it all out. I plan to look at as many places as possible. So are Finley Farms and Seville the only 2 master planned communities? Being we will probably rent at 1st we will have to rent a home that has been lived in even though I admit I rather a new home but understand with renting thats not always possible. Do the master planned communities have elementary schools in them? Years ago we looked into Maricopa and they had schools in the MPC. But I realize there wasnt alot there to begin with so maybe that is the only reason the new schools were built? So, I guess what I need to know is where all the master planned communities are so I can check them out when we come and I am still debating working with a real estate agent. Thanks agian everyone for the info
Check out Val Vista Lakes in Gilbert. Nice Master planned community and yes they do have an elementary in it.

Old 07-27-2010, 04:42 AM

5 posts, read 19,964 times
Power Ranch is another - and there are 3 elementary schools in it.

Luckily for you, the price of houses are amazingly low right now, so you'll be able to get a lot of house for a little money.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:05 AM

164 posts, read 772,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allymin View Post
To each his own....but we do love Seville and most everyone we know in the neighborhood belongs to the cc. Yes it is a different fee....no it is not thousands of dollars a month. the sports membership is really quite reasonable. There are golf memberships that cost more, but you do not have to have a golf membership! I don't belong "to stroke my ego" but I do belong for yoga, zumba, kickboxing, gym all within walking distance from my home. My kids are on the swim team and we have our own pool, but we love the community pool as well. There are lots of great social opportunities. As I said, to each his own, it may not be for everyone, I just wanted to clarify some points. As for models, there are several still open and you will not be disappointed!!
I didn't mean to imply folks who blong to the CC are in it for the ego stroking -- that's just how some of the marketing reads. Stuff like:
' Membership at a Seville says you’ve “arrived.” '
'Members join clubs today for many reasons. Traditionally, the number one reason was they wanted to meet, socialize and develop friendships and associations with people of similar backgrounds, interests and pursuits. '

To me it just rings "elitist", but that may be my West coast sensibilities. But agin, that's just the marketing. They limit the total number of members to 450 golf, 1000 sports memberships. So I doubt everyone in Seville could be members if they wanted, but on the plus side it keeps the facilities from getting so crowded.

By thousands, I meant the initial buy-in. From their website, for a golf membership it's an undisclosed buy-in (read: thousands) plus $475/mo. For a sports membership (pool, gym, etc) it's a $500 buy-in plus $148.50/mo dues. That's on top of the regular HOA dues, which covers the open spaces -- I think that's around $80/mo, so well over $200/mo which to me seems pricey on a cash flow basis, so you better make sure you will use them fully! (maybe if you pay more you'll use the gym more?)

Developments like Power Ranch also have community pools but total dues around $50/mo, and VVL is under $90/mo, but few offer as many extras as Seville (lots of fitness classes, for example).

I agree, to each their own. Seville looks like a great development. People just need to realize that the MLS listing or builder websites might mention the pools, clubhouse, and gym but those are NOT included in the HOA and they are not cheap. Whether they are worth it to you is a personal choice. We like to keep our monthly fixed costs to a minimum.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:16 PM

40 posts, read 67,049 times
Thanks for the info Katryn and Ally. I kind of giggle when I read how low the fees are there though. Yes it can be viewed as high but I live in South Florida now I pay 270.00 a month for my HOA for nothing really I feel. They take care of our lawn which we could do a better job then the company the hoa hired does. We have 1 pool and tennis courts which Ive never seen anyone at. And a very small gym which offers no type of child care etc so I cant go anyway bc I have my 2 yr old. Yes, we do want to get away from paying such a high monthly fee but at the same time compared to what we get here it seems like you are getting alot for that $. You made a good point however about using the community pool if we had our own pool. bc if we had our own we wouldnt use the community one most likely. The real thing I would be interested in in an HOA would be meeting new people in the community, the fitness center and classes. If we move we will know no one at all so it would be nice to meet neighbors. I plan to visit each development on our trip and appreciate all the info. Thanks everyone

Old 07-27-2010, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitofhonee View Post
Thanks for the info Katryn and Ally. I kind of giggle when I read how low the fees are there though. Yes it can be viewed as high but I live in South Florida now I pay 270.00 a month for my HOA for nothing really I feel. They take care of our lawn which we could do a better job then the company the hoa hired does. We have 1 pool and tennis courts which Ive never seen anyone at. And a very small gym which offers no type of child care etc so I cant go anyway bc I have my 2 yr old. Yes, we do want to get away from paying such a high monthly fee but at the same time compared to what we get here it seems like you are getting alot for that $. You made a good point however about using the community pool if we had our own pool. bc if we had our own we wouldnt use the community one most likely. The real thing I would be interested in in an HOA would be meeting new people in the community, the fitness center and classes. If we move we will know no one at all so it would be nice to meet neighbors. I plan to visit each development on our trip and appreciate all the info. Thanks everyone
I'd love to move to S Florida. Maybe some day I wouldn't mind paying the 270.00. I love how everyone wants a change and I think its good for people to move around and experience other places. I know you have already lived here and would not come back if you didn't like it. What's not to like except no beach?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area