Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 06:18 AM

9 posts, read 30,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerGirl67 View Post
Hi. I've read several of your posts throughout the forum and I must say you are an inspiration to me. I have wanted to move there for so long but have hesitated (plus I now have other issues impacting my decision, i.e. a daughter and a new grandson who will have to live with me) out of fear. Although I have visited many times, the long drive out there (alone), not knowing anyone, etc. are all somewhat scary even though I am a very independent woman. It is encouraging to hear you and others say how much you love it!
ive driven from the east coast to Arizona a couple of times. i would not worry about it at all. if you have time to stop and see some sights...great! if not its a nice peaceful drive that lets you see a lot of the country. the only advice i have is to take your car to a mechanic tell them you are driving cross country and let them give it a once over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 08:31 AM

27 posts, read 101,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Welcome aboard Becky

Mod Cut: Personal Arizona and the Phoenix area is nice. Most people you will meet love this area as I do. It's only a group of haters that reside on this forum and whine about it incessantly and provide a false image of Phoenix. There are a lot of myths about Phoenix that are being propagated here which include

1. People are not nice
2. There is bad traffic
3. There is bad crime
4. There are tons of insects everywhere
5. The heat lasts 6-7 months here
6. The schools are terrible here

You will find out that all of those points are above are not true. The people who are here for genuine reasons and don't have agendas to bash the city realize that as well.
Thanks for the warm welcome! I love it more every day! I did wake up to a scorpion in my kitchen...which I did NOT love, but it's not something that will send me packing. If I have to put up with a few critters to live in paradise...then that's what I'll do.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HickorySue View Post
Becky, how awesome, we moved here from Hickory Hills 12 years ago and my husband will say nearly everyday when we are out in the car somewhere " gosh what a gorgeous day".. it doesn't get old. As far as the scorps you just moved into the area where they are. We have never had one in our house or on our property.. thankfully. You can control them to a point if you get the right bug guy. Welcome another suburban Chicagoan, and yes the people are awesome and most from somewhere else in the country! We Chicagoans added to that you know!! Best of everything here in sunny AZ! Sue
Great to hear you're still loving AZ after 12 years! I know I will too!

Old 08-10-2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefly119 View Post
We are moving to the Phoenix area the end of Sept. from WI. I am hoping to rent in an area that will afford me a view of the mountains. Any suggestions on which towns/ areas of Phoenix will have that type of view? I would prefer an older neighborhood with character than the newer "cookie cutter" housing. Not even adverse to a nicer mobile home park.
I haven't seen a whole lot of the Phoenix area in regards to different neighborhoods yet, but in my opinion, even the new cookie cutter neighborhoods are nicer looking here. I never cared for them back home in Illinois...I preferred older neighborhoods with character. Here though, they just do everything up right. It's amazing what a difference a couple palm trees make!

Old 08-10-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moveeast31 View Post
I know this post is about a week old but it reminded me of this time I came out of an Albertson's that I parked in front of only to find this older guy, not realizing I was coming. going out of his way to rest his cart up against my car!! Not next to it, not near the pillar that was in front of my car, but right up on it! I headed for my driver's door and when he realized it was my car he did this whole act as if he were moving the cart...I am very non-confrontational so I just gave him a look. What is the point of this??
That's very funny! I'm very non-confrontational too so I would have done the same thing....given a "look". lol

Old 08-10-2010, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahp View Post
We moved from the midwest to Gilbert 3 years ago. Before the move, reading the posts on this forum had me dreading and fearing the move. Heat! Scorpions! Snakes! Rude drivers! Happily, that's not been my experience. I haven't encountered any scorpions or snakes. I love the weather, even walking across the blacktop parking lot when it's 115 degrees (beats freezing). Navigating is so simple due to the grid layout. Even when I did some stupid things driving when I first came, no one honked or flipped me off

We absolutely love it here. Sadly, we've been the transferred back to the midwest and have to leave a home we love. The first few weeks after getting the news I teared up whenever I went out knowing that it won't be long until I won't have palm trees, sunshine, all the conveniences of restaurants and shopping being so closeby. I've never figured out why some people think Chandler is better than Gilbert. Gilbert has been the best place I've ever lived.
I'm sorry to hear you have to move back to the midwest. I can't imagine having to leave all this! I haven't explored Chandler too much, but I do love Gilbert so far. It has everything I need...and close by! The grid system is great for navigating. Good luck with your move.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,398 times
I am at a loss as to know where to relocate in Arizona. We are in our 60's and have been told to move to AZ for health reasons. We need to work (at least part time) but do NOT want alot of hassle in our commute. Also, we want a small town atomosphere but close to malls and community events. Coming from PA to a whole new area is scarrrrrry......can anyone offer suggestions for a safe, quiet area to live?

Old 08-27-2010, 08:26 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,530,161 times
Quote:
I am at a loss as to know where to relocate in Arizona. We are in our 60's and have been told to move to AZ for health reasons. We need to work (at least part time) but do NOT want alot of hassle in our commute. Also, we want a small town atomosphere but close to malls and community events. Coming from PA to a whole new area is scarrrrrry......can anyone offer suggestions for a safe, quiet area to live?
First, I recommend using the Search feature at the top of the page to see if perhaps advice given previously can be of help. Second, if you still have questions, I recommend starting a new thread and asking them there. Third, this is the Phoenix forum and you said "relocate in Arizona". There is a whole lot more in Arizona than Phoenix, so you may want to decide if Phoenix is where you want to live or not. If so, this is the appropriate forum. If not, than there may be a more appropriate forum here on City Data to get information.
Anyway, good luck!

Old 09-16-2010, 11:41 AM

51 posts, read 86,258 times
I'm eager to move BACK to AZ from NJ one day soon. For those of you that are there already, why (for reasons other than commute to work) did you choose Gilbert over Queen Creek or Apache Junction?

I see that housing prices in Queen Creek are very low and there is an abundant for sale. Why?

Thanks for shedding some light on this for me....

Old 09-16-2010, 03:51 PM

80 posts, read 172,301 times
Queen Creek is a just a little too far out to be convenient to the rest of the Valley. Some will disagree, but I think so.

Apache Junction is also out there a way and little rough around the edges if you know what I mean. Gilbert on the other hand is closer to the things most people want to do. It also has very good schools and is affordable.

I looked for a home in Gilbert for over 4 months and finally bought in North Peoria! So, what Im saying is that while Gilbert is VERY nice, there are plenty of nice parts of the Valley that have just as good of schools, and are affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area